1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Casein Protein

Discussion in 'Dieting / Supplement Discussion' started by Crusader420, Mar 28, 2008.

1. MikeMartial Black Belt

This is my take on it that I posted in the Sherdogger's Guide to Fish Oil:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Newt [​IMG]
    Mike, sorry if I missed any reference to or discussion of this, but what's your opinion on some emerging theory that, for those of us that want to get bigger, fish oil might blunt the various inflammatory responses to training that are necessary for increased hypertrophy?

Ho HO! I stuble into ye Old fishy thread to post some new tripe, and what do I find? Now THAT is a cerebral question. Fuck, I was having doubts lately looking at the threads that have been posted. Refreshing!

So, to the point: While one could run into issues regarding suppressed immune function from taking too much fish oil, there's no way a guy could sabotage his actual work in the gym. Regarding hypertrophy, damage is damage, and the body is going to do everything to repair it. If you goal is size, and your working the right volume/rep range, fish oil isn't going to stop it from happening. In fact, it will only enhance it by adding dietary fats and maximizing testosterone.

I've heard similar theories about vitamin C years ago, much along the same lines: Taking too much vitamin C will cause your body to repair itself too fast, and you won't get big. Oddly enough, guys still packed on size. Theory dissolved.

2. Vedic Purple Belt

Three times a day I take a couple of things at once. First meal, of the day, last meal of the day. And one other time. Nothing to fancy really.

3. ChingChang White Belt

thanks for the info. I assumed it wouldn't have much of an effect if any, just wanted to check with you guys.

4. Monger Chronically Injured

First of all, I stated in another thread of yours that there was nothing wrong with taking casein PWO as long as you are also consuming whey. I do think it's splitting hairs though... but that's beside the point. My argument is with your reading comprehension for the most part. I too have Grapplers Guide to Nutrition. I told you that the shit you're quoting is out of context. Therefore, it becomes misleading and/or wrong.

Here's Berardi's exact recommendation quoted from The Grappler's Guide...

5. Vedic Purple Belt

Lol, Monger is on a tear today.