Casein Protein

Crusader420

White Belt
Reaction score
I have been taking muscle milk as my before bed shake. Is there a better source of casein protein that I should use to replace it with? Also, how effective is muscle milk as a pre-weightlifting shake?

Its good for before bed, as long as you are not trying to cut. if you are, then there are a ton of casein specialized proteins on the market. Pre-weightlifting I would use endurox, vendetta, etc. Not a meal replacement so to speak.

I have been taking muscle milk as my before bed shake. Is there a better source of casein protein that I should use to replace it with? Also, how effective is muscle milk as a pre-weightlifting shake?

Yep, what Vedic said.

Also, I've heard Muscle Milk's protein is about 60% casein and 40% whey... not that it really matters but maybe you care :D

hangleton_medieval_cottage.jpg

cheese.jpg

Yep, what Vedic said.

Also, I've heard Muscle Milk's protein is about 60% casein and 40% whey... not that it really matters but maybe you care :D

does that percentage of whey have any benefits when taken before bed or would i be better off with a 100% casein protein?

it won't hurt any. I mean it will give you some fast acting protein and aminos, especially if its been a while since you ate. You could go with only casein at bed time. But frankly that's splitting hairs until that level of deliberate calculations is needed.

I agree with Vedic. I was just throwing in out there for informational purposes. That's why I made the comment "not that it really matters".

Thanks for the info. I'm glad to hear that muscle milk delivers becuase it is absolutely delicious.

Just curious do you have the powder or the premixed shakes?

I just use optimum nutrition casein protein powder before bed with milk, and sometimes a spoon of peanut butter on the side

I've used both MM and EvoPro (basically just the protein of muscle milk) and had better luck sleeping on EvoPro, for some reason MM gives me what I can't really explain as anything other than an "energy spike".

in canada there are a number of timed release proteins for bed that are actually pretty cheap. syntha 6 is a good one, much cheaper than muscle milk.

muscle milk is not the best choice b/c it has way too much saturated fat which is actually detrimental to muscle gaining

muscle milk is not the best choice b/c it has way too much saturated fat which is actually detrimental to muscle gaining

Please explain how saturated fat is detrimental to muscle gaining.

Here's some advice: read more and post less. You've been posting a lot of useless comments interspersed with blatantly incorrect statements.

Back