Media Carlos Correa: If Khabib fought LWs past their prime, he'd have just as many title defenses as Jones

Peli

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score

Carlos is in the Khabib Army :D Baseball is still boring as fuck though.

• He said When Jon fight Vitor, Machida, etc is the equivalent of Khabib right now taking on BJ Penn, Anthony Pettis, Eddie Alvarez.
  • If khabib were to fight against all the [LW champions] past their prime, He would have 10 more title defenses
  • If khabib defended his belts 3-4 times, He'd be everyone's Goat but he chose to retired because there's nothing left for him in that division.
  • He says, he prefer dominance over # of Title fights
  • If you want to go by title fights, Jon Jones is the goat, Manny's won the most championship in different weight classes, does that make him the goat? No.
  • Acknowledges the GOAT conversation is complex but right now Khabib is #1 P4P
  • Correa is also critical of Jon Jones playing it safe against santos, not taking risk and losing on one judges scorecard.

Edit: added video: Analyzing Jon Jones Prime vs Khabib's Prime.

He mentioned when Jon fought elite talent, that was closer to him, Jon wasn't as dominant. Khabib-gaethje were in the same ballpark as Jon-Gus 1. Jon lost rounds and almost lost the fight. When Khabib had those odds, he dominated the opponent.
{<jordan}

I don't agree with him fully, but his past 3 defenses have not been against elite talent and Jon decisioned them and lost rounds.

iu

Carlos to his credit says if Jon wins the HW title, he's the undisputed P4P and will cement his P4P status, all time.

Last edited:

Carlos is in the Khabib Army :D Baseball is still boring as fuck though.

• He said When Jon fight Vitor, Machida, etc is the equivalent of Khabib right now taking on BJ Penn, Anthony Pettis, Eddie Alvarez.
  • If khabib were to fight against all the [LW champions] past their prime, He would have 10 title defenses
  • He says, he prefer dominance over # of Title fights
  • If you want to go by title fights, Jon Jones is the goat, Manny's won the most championship in different weight classes, does that make him the goat? No.
  • Acknowledges the GOAT conversation is complex.
  • Correa is also critical of Jon Jones playing it safe against santos, not taking risk and losing on one judges scorecard.

{<jordan}

I don't agree with him fully, but his past 3 defenses have not been against elite talent and Jon decisioned them and lost rounds.

It's fairly clear, unless you are brain dead, that Jon Jones is a better fighter than Khabib, fought much better competition, though it could be argued some of them were past their prime, and accomplished much more.

But Khabib is pretty good too. But I do think he fought weak competition.

I was hoping you spelled Barreto wrong but alas it's a baseball player.

The only argument that has legs in terms of elevating Khabib over Jones is the PED argument.

Jones's resume is significantly longer/better at the top, and you can't even play the "degree of dominance" card with much success because Jones wasn't much less dominant than Khabib at a similar time point in his career.

Also, Jones lost to Reyes. And hasn't looked good in years. Was he clean during his heydays? Hard to say.

I do think he ran from his own weight division, from Reyes.

It's fairly clear, unless you are brain dead, that Jon Jones is a better fighter than Khabib, fought much better competition, though it could be argued some of them were past their prime, and accomplished much more.

But Khabib is pretty good too. But I do think he fought weak competition.

You calling anyone brain dead is like Jones calling someone a cheater.

He's not wrong. Imagine Khabib defending his belt against BJ Penn, Frankie Edgar, Pettis etc right now.

Jones has a "remarkable" record because its full of washed up big names when they were out of their prime.

Oh and PEDs too.

He's wrong on Manny Pacquaio, as he is the GOAT of boxing. No one has been able to accomplish what Manny has done and he's still kicking ass to this day. Khabib is undisputably the best fighter to step inside the octagon but the thing is that he has not faced the competition necessary to be the greatest. The GOAT is Fedor.

People forget was doing this in his 20s lol. Khabib's prime is in his 30s partially because he lost 2 years to injuries.

What is with all these baseball players giving their opinions about MMA?
It's from the same show. At least this guy is somewhat of an educated fan unlike the guy he was debating. But he's underselling Jones hard. I'm not a fan of jones, but This dude was beating guys while being in his early 20s, the youngest champion iirc.

He's not wrong. Imagine Khabib defending his belt against BJ Penn, Frankie Edgar, Pettis etc right now.

Jones has a "remarkable" record because its full of washed up big names when they were out of their prime.

Oh and PEDs too.
Conor and his injuries delayed his championship imo. If conor didn't decide to move up, it might have been him fighting for the title sooner than later.

You can't play the "what if game" when discussing GOAT - you can only discuss actual accomplishments; this an an argument pro Khabib people make to compensate for the fact that he has way less top5-10 wins and less title defenses than Jones. Sorry, Jones is still above Khabib on the list and so is Silva, Fedor, Aldo, DJ, and GSP.

If anyone close to either Khabib or Jones say something, their bias should definitely be taken into account

Back