cardio counter productive?

cosism

Custom User Title
@Green
Reaction score
I am trying to build mass. I read cardio and lifting should be as far apart from each other as possible, i.e. a 4 hour minimum, is that true? Would any of you recommendd doing cardio 2X a week on off days? What about cutting out cardio all together? Do any of you recommend doing cardio then replacing the calories lost so you can still build but still obtain the cardiovascular benefits? Also, what about doing cardio before or after workout? My schedule of time SUCKS ASS and approximatly 12-14 hours of my day is dedicated to wroking and commuting. Help please. :icon_idea

If you are just trying to get bigger, then any cardio you do is going to limit your success. Most bodybuilders don't do any cardio anymore until they start cutting. If you are wondering if replacing the calories you are burning by eating more after doing cardio, you probably aren't eating enough for someone looking to add size anyway. If you are still interested in doing some cardio, try to keep it to 20 minutes or less, three times a week or less. You can still gain weight while doing cardio, it will just be a slower process.

I was planning on doing the 2007 London marathon. Having second thought's now

morganfreeman said:
If you are still interested in doing some cardio, try to keep it to 20 minutes or less, three times a week or less. You can still gain weight while doing cardio, it will just be a slower process.

If you aren't doing 20 min of cardio then it is pretty pointless to do at all.

cosism said:
I am trying to build mass.

Tell us your exact goals and what your diet and workout plan looks like now....

If building mass is you one and only goal - i.e. you want to be a powerlifter or just move massive weights, then yes ditch the cardio. If you want to participate in any other sport or athletic activity then you'll need cardio.

The effect that cardio has on your ability to burn muscle is overestimated by most people. Just make sure that you make up the calories you burn through cardio (which will probably only be a couple of hundred max) - and like morgan said - you probably aren't eating enough as of now anyway - post your current diet.

Just do HIIT on some off days and you'll be fine.

Urban said:
Just do HIIT on some off days and you'll be fine.

Bingo. Bango. WANGO TANGO!

And Cardio does not need to be endless jogging. Get a jump rope. Or a sled to drag. Hell, find a couple of big rocks, a heavy bag, a wheelbarrow and setup a circuit in your back yard.

I have a circuit where I use my children as weights. They love it. Of course after 15 minutes I'm wiped out and my three year old keeps yelling: Again, again!!

Little brat. :)~

Foulsmeller said:
Bingo. Bango. WANGO TANGO!

And Cardio does not need to be endless jogging. Get a jump rope. Or a sled to drag. Hell, find a couple of big rocks, a heavy bag, a wheelbarrow and setup a circuit in your back yard.

I have a circuit where I use my children as weights. They love it. Of course after 15 minutes I'm wiped out and my three year old keeps yelling: Again, again!!

Little brat. :)~

Little brat.

ROFL!!!

Sounds just like my 3 year old...

Thanks for all of the replies fellas.
Workout: I am on my second week of WSFSB.
Meals:
5:15am, 2 servings of oatmeal, protein shake w/ 8oz fat free milk, 1 a day, fish oil pill, glucosamine/chondrotin pills and a megadose of b12.
8:15am, an apple, large serving of walnuts(unsalted), water
11:15am, sandwich of high fiber bread, lean(fat free/low salt) turkey or chicken breast, romiane lettuce and honey mustard, fat free yougurt, more water OR large grilled chicken breast(s) to replace sandwich.
2:15pm, banana, large serving of walnuts, more water
5:15pm, turkey joes(like sloppy joes but w/ wheat buns and lean ground turkey) OR wheat pasta w/ sauce OR Large portions of chicken breast(grilled) w/ broccolli and a sweet potatoe OR lean steak fajitas(seasoned) on pita bread w/ vegies. I pretty much rotate these dinners around. Water or diet lemonade.
7:00ish, PWO protein shake w/ water(not milk),
8:45ish, 1/2 cup of cottage cheese and a zinc pill.
I think there is room for a PB&J in here(high fiber bread, all nat PB and preserves). I might add this next week.
Also, I weigh in at 174 as of this morning. My goal is 190-195 but a little more lean(I am about 13-15% bf right now).
I will do 20 minutes of HIIT on off days(tues and thurs) and go for a swim on sat weather permitting.
What do you think?

Just scanning it quickly the cottage cheese an zinc at the same time might not be good. I 'think' the calcium limits zinc uptake...but thinking about it it might be calcium and magnesium. Someone with more knowledge will correct me if I'm wrong

Using children for circuits, that's a good idea. The overload comes by itself.
Now, where can I find some children...

Noskill said:
Using children for circuits, that's a good idea. The overload comes by itself.
Now, where can I find some children...

a local school yard/find a mate and weight the required 9 months

TTT for diet opinions. If not, I will make a thread about it. Thanks.

Wouldnt that make them kid snatches then?
oh wait....that sounds bad

Dude if you want to be able to -use- that mass your planing to build then you should include cardio and muscle endurance from the begining. If you want to become a bodybuilder then by all mean feel free to do whatever that takes your fancy..;)

MPCOA said:
If you aren't doing 20 min of cardio then it is pretty pointless to do at all.

Not true at all. Recent studies have actually shown that two 10 minute sessions of HIT have a better effect than a single 20 minute session of cardio.

Not to mention, you're not addressing the fact that people do cardio for different reasons. For instance, I don't do cardio to burn calories or reduce fat but rather to increase cardiovascular capacity (add gas to the tank). Given that, the longer session for fatburning is even more irrelevant.

KOU In3 said:
Not true at all. Recent studies have actually shown that two 10 minute sessions of HIT have a better effect than a single 20 minute session of cardio.

Not to mention, you're not addressing the fact that people do cardio for different reasons. For instance, I don't do cardio to burn calories or reduce fat but rather to increase cardiovascular capacity (add gas to the tank). Given that, the longer session for fatburning is even more irrelevant.
it's HIIT. HIT is garbage.

Back