cardio counter productive?

why hasn't anyone brought up SPRINTING? have you seen any sprinters or guys that run a 100m dash? Those guys have tree trunks for legs, and I guarantee you that they are not running marathons.

As the saying goes, don't run when you can walk, don't walk when you can sit, and don't sit when you can lie down. That's old-school bodybuilder protocol, but also guaranteed to make your ass BIG.

T-Mag also recommends sprints as a good way of stripping some fat while keeping max. leg size. Anaerobic vs Aerobic.

KOU In3 said:
Got anything to back that statement up or are you just talking out of your @ss?

HIT has already been debated ad nauseum in the stickies. and urban's opinion is one of the most respected on this board, fyi noob.

KOU In3 said:
Got anything to back that statement up or are you just talking out of your @ss?
Whether my opinion is respected around here or not should not be an issue (personally I often question whether or not it is). If anyone smells bullshit, I should be willing to clarify.

First i want to clarify that the two are separate. HIIT is High Intensity Interval (or intermitant) Training. this is periods of intense anaerobic work followed by periods of ligher aerobic work (something like 20 second sprints followed by 40 second jogs, or 400 meter sprints followed by 90 seconds active rest, etc.). There's a lot of articles on this if you use google and it's very effective for burning fat, keeping muscle, and improving cardio in a more efficient less time consuming manner.

HIT is High Intensity Training. Despite all evidence to the contrary these followers will hold HIT to be superior to other methods. It emphasises better gains in less time, but HITers are almost always weak when push comes to shove and whent hey aren't they've been training for 10 years before they finally gain a mediocre level of strength. The use of machines avoids training any stabilizers, the use of deliberately slow reps and time under tension gets inferior results to explosive reps (max force production is THE way to recruit the most muscle fibers and stimulate the most growth and/or strength gain), and there is often a claim that anyone with any success in the gym is doing so because of their genetics not because of their training. While this last point is somewhat valid (nobody can argue that there ISN'T a genetic factor) HITers often cling to it as the only reason that they are unable to make gains. Fact is, on a bell curve 90% of everyone will never be hindered by their genetics.

As posted above you can search around a bit (there may even be a link to a debate in the stickies) because this issue has been discussed at length in the past. Very few sport trainers subscribe to HIT, no strength athletes, certainly no olympic athletes (ever try to perform a slow clean and jerk?), and virtually no professional bodybuilders (with one or two noteable steroidal exceptions).

Urban said:
First i want to clarify that the two are separate. HIIT is High Intensity Interval (or intermitant) Training. this is periods of intense anaerobic work followed by periods of ligher aerobic work (something like 20 second sprints followed by 40 second jogs, or 400 meter sprints followed by 90 seconds active rest, etc.). There's a lot of articles on this if you use google and it's very effective for burning fat, keeping muscle, and improving cardio in a more efficient less time consuming manner.

HIT is High Intensity Training. Despite all evidence to the contrary these followers will hold HIT to be superior to other methods.

My apologies. What you said...

Urban said:
it's HIIT. HIT is garbage.

I read to fast and came out with "it's HIIT. HIIT is garbage" I hadn't realized that you were merely correcting my acronym. Sorry for creating a screne from my own typo and then subsequent mis-reading. :redface:

Not a problem. It's not the first time this has happened and I'm certain it won't be the last. I could have worded my post better as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Judoka_Noob
Back