Can't believe Dana would do an instand rematch of Lawler-Hendricks

I scored the fight for Lawler. I also scored the Hendricks/GSP for Hendricks. Lawler is the unofficial champ in my humble opinion, and far more active to boot.

The title fight was very closely contested, Robbie did more damage but lost on points. I think Hendricks fans just don't want him to have to fight Robbie again. I think beating Ellenburger in the manor he did was justification enough, but if he beats Brown why would he not get a title shot? I could see an argument if Woodley dispatches of Rory in impressive fashion him getting a title fight first but really no reason Robbie wouldn't be in line after that fight .

If you are going of quality wins you have to have Robbie as Number 1 contender right now.

If Hendricks hadn't injured himself he would have defended by now - the only reason the rematch would happen is because Robbie fought his way back to #1 contender while Johny was injured.

Everyone is taking a huge dump on TS in this thread, but kinda agree with him in one way.

First of all let me just be clear that if Robbie beats Brown, he's done enough to get the rematch vs Johnny. But I think (and what I think the TS ment to say) that it would've been interesting to have seen Johnny defend his title at least once against someone besides Robbie Lawler, before their (possible) upcoming rematch.

An example is the rematch between Jones and Gus. Eventhough I was calling for an instant rematch moments after Jones hands were raised, in hindsight it wasn't so bad that we got the Glover fight inbetween. Champions fighting the same contenders over and over again can become a bit frustrating imo.

Thank you for restoring my faith in sherdog. I knew it couldn't be that hard to understand what I wanted to say. But instead people preferred to get hung up on the word "instant".

Still, WW is incredibly deep and stacked and has a lot of potential contenders. Why would one give a guy who just lost (close but still pretty clear cut 3:2) the next title shot? Why have the same guy fight twice in a row (unless it's a justified instant rematch) when there are other guys with at least as good claims for a shot? T-Wood just defeated Condit (and Kos). Rory, after losing to Lawler, beat Maia. Hector destroyed a guy who beat almost everbody bar the champ.

If T-Wood wins he would be on a 3 fight winning streak against better competition (Kos, Condit, Rory is much better than 2 fights against Ellenberger, Brown). If Hector wins he would be on a 3 fight winning streak as opposed to Robbie's two fights and also against at least equally good compeition (DHK is above Brown, Shields is far above Ellenberger and Brown combined). If Rory wins he would be on an equally long winning streak as Robbie but also against better competition (Maia is better than Brown or Ellenberger, T-Wood would be a better win than any of Robbie's except over Rory).

You really can't believe Dana White would give Robbie Lawler a title shot after all of the stupid things he's done?

1. Instant rematches should only happen when the first fight was unbelieveably close/controversial. Eg GSP-Hendricks, Jones-Gus etc. But there was nothing controversial about this fight: Hendricks beat Lawler 3 rounds to 2. Lawler had his fair shot and got defeated. And not even Gus got an instant rematch.

2. Instant rematches should only happen when there are no other viable contenders. But no division is as stacked and vivid as WW. Rory, T-Wood, Hector... there are countless good contenders for the belt. Why should Robbie leapfrog them. He already had his chance.

It's not going to be an instant rematch. Lawler will have fought twice before he fights Hendricks again.
It's ok to be to be worried he will beat Big Rigg this time.

It's not going to be an instant rematch. Lawler will have fought twice before he fights Hendricks again.
It's ok to be to be worried he will beat Big Rigg this time.

LOL! I hate Hendricks and was/will be rooting for Robbie. But I actually believe Hendricks will beat him this time - and more decisively. Although I know Hendricks is the master of excuses I believe him that he had problems with his biceps. When he employs his wrestling, Robbie will lose. That is why I'd rather see T-Wood or Rory pressure him, they have a much better chance (esp after one beating the other).

I hate instant rematches more than just about anyone around here, but as has already been pointed out, this wouldn't be one.

If Lawler gets his second top 10 win after losing a close decision for the title, I don't have any problem with him getting another title shot.

LOL! I hate Hendricks and was/will be rooting for Robbie. But I actually believe Hendricks will beat him this time - and more decisively. Although I know Hendricks is the master of excuses I believe him that he had problems with his biceps. When he employs his wrestling, Robbie will lose. That is why I'd rather see T-Wood or Rory pressure him, they have a much better chance (esp after one beating the other).

He had a torn bicep before the fight, it's been repaired.

http://www.mmamania.com/2014/3/27/5...icep-surgery-before-after-pics-disgusting-mma

Pics aren't safe for lunch, I think Robbie will take the rematch though.

The fuck are you rambling about?

how so? Lawler had Hendricks in more trouble in that fight then Hendricks had GSP, Lawler did throw a beating on Hendricks and almost got the TKO a couple of times, it was Hendricks edging out the 1st 2 rounds in a non dominating performance and getting the 5th round TD's on an exhausted Lawler that won him that fight, yet everybody who saw the fight knows that Lawler is the superior striker, can eat Hendrick's best shot while Hendrick's can't take Lawlers.

Lawler was too relaxed in the 1st 2 rounds and let the fight get away from him, everybody wants to see what would happen with a more aggressive Lawler against a healthy bicep Hendrick's.

i agree with this for the most part. hendricks won the chess match of mma, but robbie won the "fight".
if it were up to bj penn, anyway just look at hendricks face after the fight
i do believe the right guy got his arm raised at the end of the night but you gotta admit robbie laid a pretty good beating on the guy and gave better than he got

Back