Elections Canadian Federal Election 2019 Thread

Maclean's:

Trudeau a telegenic talking-points robot

Trudeau’s character at this point might be described as a telegenic talking-points robot, the type of prime minister whose job will be lost to automation some day. I had the contrarian thought that maybe the blackface photo scandal had helped him by forcing him to avoid talking about what a good person he is, allowing him instead to play the part of middle-of-the-road politicians everywhere who say that all is great, their government has a plan for everything, and that everyone else on the stage is a wild-eyed radical whose policies will never work. He was acting like the Mitt Romney of Canada.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/elec...s-of-show-business/ar-AAIr6bm?ocid=spartanntp

Global News
:

Singh scores win with ‘sentiment’ jump on Twitter during debate, Ipsos says

As might be expected, Liberal Leader Justin Trudeau and Conservative Leader Andrew Scheer dominated the Twitter discussion. Volume was highest for Trudeau, who had close to 35,000 total mentions. Scheer was second with just over 31,000. NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh and People’s Party Leader Maxime Bernier were third and fourth, while Green Party Leader Elizabeth May and Bloc Québécois Leader Yves-François Blanchet were the least mentioned.

Overall, in fact, Bernier attracted much more commentary than his party's poll performance would have suggested.

Sentiment measures attitudes towards the parties and leaders. A sentiment rating over 50 is “net positive,” while a sentiment rating of less than 50 is “net negative.”

Only Singh ended the night in net-positive territory. Although he was only third in terms of total volume, he started the night with a sentiment rating of 62 and increased it to 68 by the end of the night, staying consistently high during the debate and topping out at 70 at one point.

By contrast, Trudeau’s net sentiment dropped to 40 from 55. Scheer’s net sentiment also dropped, starting at 48 and falling to 42. Singh was the clear winner in terms of Twitter users improving their view of him as the debate went on.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/elec...-debate-ipsos-says/ar-AAIsnAw?ocid=spartanntp

Last edited by a moderator:
Bernier will never win anything and I doubt people could understand him that well. When he talks about globalists, does he really think the Canadian public will know what he's talking about?

He's a dud. He's got some good ideas but now is not the time. He's getting old and wants to be a rock star with his hells angel girl friend but he's not thinking about what's best for Canada. He should have waited until Trudeau was gone because the Conservative vote needs to stay united. This is what makes me angry about him.

Scheer and the Conservative party of Canada is literally a giant compared to Bernier and the people's party of Canada and always will be.

Probably would have been best if Bernier stayed with the CPC and tried to change it without giving the liberal bought and paid for media ammo to use against the party.

When the media is taking Liberal bribes and meeting with Butts, you know it's time to defund them. The only way that can happen is by trying to change the Conservative party of Canada. The People's party of Canada should disband and focus on changing the CPC.

Do you think Bernier is hoping to form a minority government with Scheer if he manages to split the vote enough? Get in that way and have more of a say in Canadian affairs? Wholeheartedly agree with your post btw.

We consistently engage in show of force exercises in the North via bases in Alert and Resolute.

first of the new arctic offshore patrol ships is in the water too albeit not yet operational. granted, they are little more than big honking targets but at least our overall presence will increase

It is mind-boggling than anyone can vote for an bumbling idiot like Trudeau at this point. I have to agree with the sentiment of a lot of people who say they would never vote NDP, but Jagmeet Singh came off as very genuine and likeable. It is too bad a disgusting scumbag like Trudeau has a far better chance of being a leader than Singh. From the article you posted:

...it was Singh who was the most humane and came as close to stealing the show as was possible given the format.

And he was funny, too.

But, as is so common with the NDP, he took it a step too far when in the midst of a yell-off about abortion, he said, “A man has no position in a discussion on a woman’s right to choose.” :rolleyes:

And that was it — a non-debate debate, where the only time the audience cheered was about an issue (abortion) that is settled and has been unmessed-with by all governments for decades and which all leaders have pledged to leave unmessed-with.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/elec...-just-like-trudeau/ar-AAIr11L?ocid=spartanntp

v4dUeTyQ.jpg

Singh just keeps looking better and better the more exposure he gets. He was almost unknown to the general public a year ago.

Singh just keeps looking better and better the more exposure he gets. He was almost unknown to the general public a year ago.

The problem is that there is only one major leaders debate left and that debate is in French. It seems like it would benefit smaller parties to have more leaders debates where all leaders must participate. Both Singh and Bernier greatly benefited from last night's debate. It was a great strategy for the liberals to shield Trudeau from the debates, but something about being able to do that does not seem right. While the issues and policies get lost in the debate format, it does give people an opportunity to see leaders in a different light being forced out of their comfort zone and not always being able to rely on talking points and scripts.

Singh would greatly benefit from a few more debates. He certainly came off as the most genuine of all the leaders.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a great point. The less choices for the voting public, the better. That's what I always say.

200w.gif
In this case, yes, less is better.

Back in the early 90's the conservative party was splintered into the PCs, The Reform and the Bloc. The PCs lost official party status, coming in with only 2 seats giving the Liberals one of the strongest majorities they've ever had.

I have heard Bernier say he's going to try his best and wants to at least become official opposition. I fear that Berneir would make too many demands and the negotiations would fall apart so I don't see a coalition happening or a merger. The Liberal media would also claim Scheer is working with Nazis. After last nights debate, Bernier's political career is done without the People's party.

I don't think the vote will be split that badly. The only real risk is in a few competitive ridings where Bernier might take enough votes from the Conservatives which would give the Liberals the seat.

I would be surprised if the PPC even got a single seat this election.
If they do, it will hopefully be in Quebec.

The problem is that there is only one major leaders debate left and that debate is in French. It seems like it would benefit smaller parties to have more leaders debates where all leaders must participate. Both Singh and Bernier greatly benefited from last night's debate. It was a great strategy for the liberals to shield Trudeau from the debates, but something about being able to do that does not seem right. While the issues and policies get lost in the debate format, it does give people an opportunity to see leaders in a different light being forced out of their comfort zone and not always being able to rely on talking points and scripts.

Singh would greatly benefit from a few more debates. He certainly came off as the most genuine of all the leaders.

I think they learned that tactic from watching Ford's campaign. They wouldn't let any media talk to him whatsoever.

Scheer is a very tall dude. He made Trudeau look like a small child in both physical size and intellect.

I'm not sure why people are so hard on Scheer. I thought he looked good up there. He went after Trudeau because ultimately this election is going to come down to the liberals and conservatives. He doesn't need to waste his time engaging with the other candidates. The only candidate who really looked like a fish out of water was Trudeau. Trudeau looked like a kid in the corner and his rehearsed talking points were just pathetic.

CwcwTxtXUAA5P-j.jpg

BAH GAWD ROHMAN RAYUNS HAS JUMPED SHIP TO THE BLUE BRAND

I can't get over him trying to skirt around condemning Sikh terrorism and Talwinder Singh Parmar. Also he's against the TM pipeline so a no go for me.

I can't get over him trying to skirt around condemning Sikh terrorism and Talwinder Singh Parmar. Also he's against the TM pipeline so a no go for me.

He's already said he condemns all acts of terrorism. I think its odd to keep pressing him on stuff that happened in 1985.

I'm quite anti-pipeline myself, so that's fine with me.

You don't think having a reasonably regulated, national pipeline and focusing on Canadian oil and infrastructure would be more environmentally and economically friendly?

He's already said he condemns all acts of terrorism. I think its odd to keep pressing him on stuff that happened in 1985.

It took him a long time to say it and even longer to condemn the Air India bombing and only did so when pressured. He has been rubbing elbows with Sikh separatists for a long time which makes me question his motives.

You can be against the pipeline. I haven't heard a good reason to oppose it yet, but to each their own.

It took him a long time to say it and even longer to condemn the Air India bombing and only did so when pressured. He has been rubbing elbows with Sikh separatists for a long time which makes me question his motives.

You can be against the pipeline. I haven't heard a good reason to oppose it yet, but to each their own.

As far as pipelines go, if they were routed through less sensitive areas and subject to stricter maintenance and risk reviews I wouldn't be against them as much. Inevitably, they ALL leak and infortunately the cheapest route from A to B is always through an environmentally sensitive area.

Our environment should be considered before profit, always.

You don't think having a reasonably regulated, national pipeline and focusing on Canadian oil and infrastructure would be more environmentally and economically friendly?

Only if pipeline construction, routing, maintenance, and monitoring standards increase dramatically.

Only if pipeline construction, routing, maintenance, and monitoring standards increase dramatically.

Not to be a dick, but isn't it well expected that pipelines are less harmful than shipping oil by rail?

I used to really care aobut Canada's carbon footprint, but then realized China, India, and the rest of the developing world will destroy the planet anyways.

Too bad he's pulled the party so far to the left, like 'universal' everything.

Not to be a dick, but isn't it well expected that pipelines are less harmful than shipping oil by rail?

I used to really care aobut Canada's carbon footprint, but then realized China, India, and the rest of the developing world will destroy the planet anyways.

The amount of oil being shipped by rail is overloading the capacity of our rail system for sure.

We can't just point out finger and and say "what about China" , that's what lazy people do. Let's LEAD and not follow.

Doesn't it sadden you to know that rivers and lakes in Canada are unfit to swim in? Unfit to consume the fish that are caught?

What horrible creatures we are to poison the very environment that provides for us in search of the quickest route to profit.

Too bad he's pulled the party so far to the left, like 'universal' everything.

It's still a Centerist party. We could definitely use more universal things IMO.

We should be making it easy for people to get an education and become employable. It will only help our GDP in the end.

As far as pipelines go, if they were routed through less sensitive areas and subject to stricter maintenance and risk reviews I wouldn't be against them as much. Inevitably, they ALL leak and infortunately the cheapest route from A to B is always through an environmentally sensitive area.

Our environment should be considered before profit, always.

Far less risk than oil by rail and less energy consuming. But I don't want to turn this into a pipeline thread, there's a couple of those already floating around. Agree to disagree on this issue. Sounds like you're probably voting NDP. Hopefully if they get into government they'll do well.

Back