Can you slam in BJJ?

"My thinking is this: you may not get any "points" but if you rattle your opponent or even knock him out that could win you the match."

That's the wrong attitude for BJJ. You should look to win/submit via technique and skill, not by force.

I wouldn't recommend doing it either - I was slammed in class by a guy and our instructor was straight over to talk to him. It's dangerous.

I did answer the question, as for the being a dick part...I get tired of the same five questions over and over without the use of the search function.

For someone so tired of the same questions why would you go and post 10 times in mostly negative manner in one of the threads without thinking you are a dick. If you don't like the post, move on. You don't have to read and respond to every one.

For someone so tired of the same questions why would you go and post 10 times in mostly negative manner in one of the threads without thinking you are a dick. If you don't like the post, move on. You don't have to read and respond to every one.

Damn i hate it when someone beats me to the post... Good response

Its pretty simple. Throwing someone on their head from standing, while heavily frowned upon, isn't illegal and sometimes just happens, especially with things like drop seoi-nage or uchi mata, it just happens and there is usually no malicious intent.

PICKING someone up from the guard, side control, anywhere really FROM the ground, and forcefully throwing them back onto the ground to escape a sub, work a pass, or just be a dick to try and hurt them, is ILLEGAL. Whether or not that individual referee gives you a warning or an instant DQ is pretty much up to the ref, but either way it's not going to win you any friends.

As others said, by blue belt level getting slammed becomes exceptionally rare. I haven't been slammed in forever because I take measures to prevent it. All that being said, in the past (as well as my general rule of grappling) is that when someone slams me I will fuck them up for it.

I try to be a gentleman when I grapple, no knees across the face, no elbows into the jaw, I don't try to cross face someone's nose across their face, but when someone slams me, the gloves are off. Do you think Helio Gracie tried to slam people when he was grappling and got threatened by an arm lock? No, he used jiu-jitsu. That's what its about.

this thread was answered by about 10 people 4 pages ago, can we let it die now

Let me just add one more thing. If someone is literally trying to choke you out, I REALLY don't see the problem with slamming them (if it is not prohibitted by the rules).

Anyone else have any thoughts, the first guy didn't really answer the question outright.

i would try learn real sub defense first. sometimes a slam will only get you deeper in the choke. but if i didnt know any escapes and slamming was legal i would try everything in my power to escape

this thread was answered by about 10 people 4 pages ago, can we let it die now

i am surprised no one has mentioned ADCC yet. i did not know this before, but you can slam in ADCC. see marcello v ricco for one of the ugliest examples of this. 15 minute mark (awesome match, btw)

<div><object width="420" height="336"><param name="movie" value="http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/x1mbho&v3=1&related=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/x1mbho&v3=1&related=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="336" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always"></embed></object><br /><b><a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1mbho_marcelo-garcia-v-ricco-rodriguez_sport">Marcelo Garcia v. Ricco Rodriguez</a></b><br /><i>Uploaded by <a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/Noob1309">Noob1309</a></i></div>

actually they specifically mentioned this fight a few pages ago. and Ricco got 'reprimanded' for that. I guess you didn't notice them stop the fight and the crowd booing.

It seems like a reasonable question, considering the guy has never grappled before. Chill out guys.

Is a slam against the rules in competition bjj? Probably. Everyone booed the life out of Ricco when he did it to Marcelo!

If you are training with tough partners, sometimes. In the air real high you shouldn't slam but they should let go of what they have if that makes sense, especially if you weigh more then them. In competition against someone your weight I think its retarded that you are not able to slam if caught in a submission, it is an effective escape if you can do it. But then again BJJ doesn't do leg locks either half the time so it shapes its own rules.

actually they specifically mentioned this fight a few pages ago. and Ricco got 'reprimanded' for that. I guess you didn't notice them stop the fight and the crowd booing.

do you know what happened to ricco for doing that slam? i mean, did he lose points? he didn't lose position, thats for sure. i tried to google 'ricco marcello adcc' to read some explanation, but i couldnt find anything.

Back