Can you slam in BJJ?

please go to a class get caught in a triangle try and slam someone and hopefully someone chokes you out. strength and athleticism isn't a skill it is ability. its not that i don't like you, I just don't like people like you that think their athletic ability makes them right for bjj. If you want to slam go do some greco or freestyle and supleux someone, don't join a bjj club.

Serious question here, what makes people think slamming is a valid submission escape? In most cases it only makes the submission tighter and in a lot of cases you risk injury greater than the chance of making your opponent release a sub.

I guess if it makes the sub worse it's the person's fault who tried the slam.

its not a skill. Slamming is basically striking your opponent. The intent is to hurt the opponent with a strike. if you allow slamming to get out of subs, why not allow ground and pound to do the same?

I don't think this analogy makes any sense.

Serious? Reread my post.

First sentence, "I have never posted in the grappling forum before."

And yeah, the love is strong in here. Jeez.

But you forgot to mention how you have never trained before. Trying to win by knocking out your opponent completely goes against what BJJ is. The guys here are allot more tolerant that any other section of sherdog, they just get tired of 100th Can u SLAMZ like PAGE in Jits? posts.

please go to a class get caught in a triangle try and slam someone and hopefully someone chokes you out. strength and athleticism isn't a skill it is ability. its not that i don't like you, I just don't like people like you that think their athletic ability makes them right for bjj. If you want to slam go do some greco or freestyle and supleux someone, don't join a bjj club.

Much of that is my plan. I will go to a BJJ class, and I will likely get caught in triangles, rnc's, armbars, fucking gogos etc. I will not however try to fucking slam somebody in class, I'm not a jerk. Anyway, I'm not arrogant enough to think that I could waltz into a BJJ class and start slamming fools - I KNOW I'M GOING TO BE GETTING MOPPED FOR AWHILE-. The same way I have never tried to decapitate somebody while sparring. However, I think that kind of goes out the window in competition.

I do disagree about slamming not being a skill though.

the analogy is that you are striking your opponent with the ground instead of your fists so why not just allow strikes...understand now?

ok, I guess that makes sense. I still think it's an entirely different animal than punching though.

Also, I guess I understand how this would be frustrating if it comes up all the time. However, if anyone cares to look at my other posts they would see that I come on here to learn, not stir shit up.

But you forgot to mention how you have never trained before. Trying to win by knocking out your opponent completely goes against what BJJ is. The guys here are allot more tolerant that any other section of sherdog, they just get tired of 100th Can u SLAMZ like PAGE in Jits? posts.

I didn't "forget" to mention that I have never trained. I have, just not BJJ. Hopefully that will soon change.

Well, time to punch the clock and get home. I'll check back later for more responses. I do appreciate the feedback though, just go easy on a noob.

ok, I guess that makes sense. I still think it's an entirely different animal than punching though.

Also, I guess I understand how this would be frustrating if it comes up all the time. However, if anyone cares to look at my other posts they would see that I come on here to learn, not stir shit up.

If I tried to look at everyone's posting record on here before I read and responded to what the wrote...well I wouldn't get to read anything on here. and you can do more damage to a person with a slam then you can with a punch, its just lucky for us that matts have some give and people don't land on their head that often. I've seen one of my best friends in junior high get slammed and his neck partially broken..he was in a neck brace for almost a year and still has problems with it almost a decade later.

bottom line is slamming=striking, you can't lay in side control and lift the person's head up and slam it against the mat... it's the same thing. slamming is not a skill, anyone can do it, you only really see it in the white belt division, because by blue belt people will get the right angle on the triangle to break the persons posture and hook the leg if the guy tries to lift them.
Of course, maybe white belts are just THAT much more skillfull than the higher belts.

Slamming from guard or to defend subs is insta-DQ in all competitions besides ADCC I believe.
As long as you don't spike people slamming from a takedown is allowed.
( You can't lift people up from the floor and then slam them though. )

Slamming can seriously fuck up your neck when done from guard. They don't even do it in judo which has lots of spike throws.

basically if you pick someone off the ground, you are responsible for safely delivering him back to the mat, or it's a DQ... so if you go to do a standing guard pass, you better make sure you don't break the guard and let them just fall on their ass... break and slide them down.

basically if you pick someone off the ground, you are responsible for safely delivering him back to the mat, or it's a DQ... so if you go to do a standing guard pass, you better make sure you don't break the guard and let them just fall on their ass... break and slide them down.

I think it should be that way in a takedown as well... if you pick up an opponent in any way you should be responsible for his safety, granted its tough to enforce with some throws you see, but with a double leg or body lock it should be easy enough to enforce.

b/c you don't get any extra points in it and the only point in slamming would be to hurt the opponent and if your only concern in bjj is hurting people you are a being a douchebag...and the reason you are a troll is because this is like the ninth time I have seen a thread like this in this forum in the past month.

you seem to be the one being a douche, the dude was just genuinely curious.

you seem to be the one being a douche, the dude was just genuinely curious.

let me guess you read the first response and nothing else? 1. this topic comes up every week so I thought he was a troll 2. see number 1... 3. I do actually believe anyone who intentionally wants to slam someone is a douche.

Great. Now we have the BJJ Police and TacWar's Troll Patrol.

3 pages to say "Slamming is illegal in BJJ?" Even if it IS the 100th time this week, how hard is it to just answer the question.

Great. Now we have the BJJ Police and TacWar's Troll Patrol.

3 pages to say "Slamming is illegal in BJJ?" Even if it IS the 100th time this week, how hard is it to just answer the question.

dude that's an awesome name...can I steal that or do you have it copyrighted?

From the International Brazilian Jiujitsu Federation's website (http://www.ibjjf.org/rules.htm)
Article 6 - Restrictions
Slams from the guard

It is listed under all ages and ranks. Being caught in a triangle is considered "in the guard" as you have not PASSED the guard.

That's all it took fellas. Close this thread.

Dont worry about these guys V Ornatus, most people here are pretentious wannabes who have trained a couple of months and think they are better than everyone because they are on the internet.

Slamming is illegal when you pick someone up off the ground and intend to hurt them but I good takedowns are ok.

Back