Can you slam in BJJ?

this was a good read for me, I knew slamming while in guard would be illegal but I was unaware about the take down part. I have been able to pick someone up before when doing a double leg and I wondered how the rules worked that out. Have you ever seen a DQ from somebody being taken down too aggressively or hard, ( like a double leg 6inchs off the ground and causing the person to land on their back hard). First comp i Pan Ams and I don't want to do something dumb and look like an idiot.

This being said, I most likely will not get the takedown, i am a noob of 5mos

In general you cannot spike the person's head intentionally and you must also come down with your opponent. Preventing pro wrestling style power bombs.

You can't slam. And against an advanced grappling opponent, you won't be able to either.

In training, it's retarded to slam and injure your training partners. In competition, it's a clash of skill, not a clash of who can hurt who quicker.

are judo throws considered a slam? i'd like to know since its not a rampage slam.

are judo throws considered a slam? i'd like to know since its not a rampage slam.

I don't know but a guy with judo experience at my gym did some footsweep/throw combination on me 2 months ago and my back still hurts from landing flat on it from like a 5 foot drop.

Brazilian jiu-jitsu has got some pretty nasty takedowns, or "throws" if you will. And no, they are not considered slams. If you know how to fall properly you can protect yourself better against injury when on the recieving end of this. As opposed to a slam, which is a dick move when you are rolling with someone if you ask me. Illegal or not.

Dont worry about these guys V Ornatus, most people here are pretentious wannabes who have trained a couple of months and think they are better than everyone because they are on the internet.

Slamming is illegal when you pick someone up off the ground and intend to hurt them but I good takedowns are ok.

Thanks dude, awesome name too.

Slams are generally meant to hurt people, BJJ is meant to make some quit before you have to hurt them. With a slam you don't have a chance to tap.

Even though technically it wasn't a slam, what was the outcome of when Ricco had Garcia on his back @ ADCC and he forcefully fell backward on Garcia? I know he wasn't dq'd, what happened in terms of points?

MOST Judo throws are legitimate techniques at all stages of 'on the feet' BJJ. So takedowns from the double leg, takedowns from throwing someone over your hip, and even takedowns occuring at shoulder level(Kata Guruma/Firemans Carry) are just fine.

The issue comes AFTER a takedown has been scored. When you're already on the mat, you're grappling.

I think something that V. Orn has confused is that athleticism/power/speed are not indicators of skill. Being able to FORCE your way out of a choke or armbar does not mean you are more skillful than the person who caught you in it. Being able to apply a smooth escape is an indicator of skill. If someone catches you with a triangle, you should step, turn, squeeze, whatever. The person that has you triangled should stay on the mat. In BJJ, you're NOT trying to KO your opponent. Unless an accident occurs, someone should not pass out(unless they're stubborn) in a tournament setting.

Slamming your way out of a locked submission, as someone else had stated, is little different than just punching them in the neck to get out. It's bad etiquette, a violation of the rules, and generally considered to be 'Dirty' to do.

In MMA, this rule is much different. MMA is not BJJ.

Seriously, slams suck. Twice ive come back from training after being slammed, and had horrible nausea/vomiting, missing peripheral vision, and a horrible migraine. Thin mats are part of the problem, a new guy spazzing out and slamming my head on the mat was the bulk of it though.

Real fight? Slam away
Training? Dont do it.

MOST Judo throws are legitimate techniques at all stages of 'on the feet' BJJ. So takedowns from the double leg, takedowns from throwing someone over your hip, and even takedowns occuring at shoulder level(Kata Guruma/Firemans Carry) are just fine.

The issue comes AFTER a takedown has been scored. When you're already on the mat, you're grappling.

I think something that V. Orn has confused is that athleticism/power/speed are not indicators of skill. Being able to FORCE your way out of a choke or armbar does not mean you are more skillful than the person who caught you in it. Being able to apply a smooth escape is an indicator of skill. If someone catches you with a triangle, you should step, turn, squeeze, whatever. The person that has you triangled should stay on the mat. In BJJ, you're NOT trying to KO your opponent. Unless an accident occurs, someone should not pass out(unless they're stubborn) in a tournament setting.

Slamming your way out of a locked submission, as someone else had stated, is little different than just punching them in the neck to get out. It's bad etiquette, a violation of the rules, and generally considered to be 'Dirty' to do.

In MMA, this rule is much different. MMA is not BJJ.

^^^ what he said, if you uchi mata someone onto their head it's ok... if someone is on the ground and you pick them up, then you gotta safely put em down again, which means no slams.

^^^ what he said, if you uchi mata someone onto their head it's ok... if someone is on the ground and you pick them up, then you gotta safely put em down again, which means no slams.

but if you try and uchimata someone on their head...you are still an asshole. I really wish there was a way to manage intent.

but if you try and uchimata someone on their head...you are still an asshole. I really wish there was a way to manage intent.

it happens, but there would be no point uchi mata'ing someone on their head, it will most likely end in a scramble, you wanna land the throw and get a nice solid dominant position.

so instead of actually showing skill in bjj you want to pick someone up and slam them on the ground...you must not actually train at all.

why cant you just answer the question without being a dick?
if you take someone down hard, legal.
picking them up and slamming them to avoid being tapped, not legal. also, really a no-no in the dojo.

please go to a class get caught in a triangle try and slam someone and hopefully someone chokes you out. strength and athleticism isn't a skill it is ability. its not that i don't like you, I just don't like people like you that think their athletic ability makes them right for bjj. If you want to slam go do some greco or freestyle and supleux someone, don't join a bjj club.

Ur bias against wrestling should be adressed...

Ur bias against wrestling should be adressed...

you didn't read where I wrestled for 16 years did you? I'm biased against people that think muscle is skill and slamming someone is cool.

why cant you just answer the question without being a dick

I did answer the question, as for the being a dick part...I get tired of the same five questions over and over without the use of the search function.

Back