Can we finally appreciate AI art without getting into conundrums about the supposed end of human creativity?

AI is just an instrument, as is photoshop, as are brushes and paints. People rush into it because of novelty and create a lot of boring/unoriginal stuff.
It can be used to great results but it won't be as easy as creating a shitty rendition of a big titted anime girl on some website.

You're right. I sincerely apologize about my emotional outburst. I'm an passionate asshole. I try to do better, but it's hard. I'm an old dog.

I've worked with artists for a few years and seen what AI stole from them. That's why I get mad. The Tech Bros knew what they were doing. They stole and were willing to live with the consequences because it'd be too late to do anything meaningful once the process was started.
Seems like your hate is misguided. It's not anyone's 'fault'. Maybe you can rage against the rise of the technology itself, but its as futile as raging against industrial car manufacturers for putting handmade car workers out of business. They have used AI to streamline mechanical engineering design for some time also.

I would support calling AI art as 'meta art' rather than just art, though Zuckerberg has appropriated the term meta now but essentially that's what it is. It's derivative and aggregated then the human gives a final creative input.

AI is just an instrument, as is photoshop, as are brushes and paints. People rush into it because of novelty and create a lot of boring/unoriginal stuff.
It can be used to great results but it won't be as easy as creating a shitty rendition of a big titted anime girl on some website.
This is correct. It's a tool that's all. It is giving rise to new forms of art both beyond what we had imagined and accessible to a vast range of people. As someone mentioned once artists learn the tech, then they and people with a genuine artistic eye should be able create the generally better works.

Personally I think AI art is great. It allows people who lack technical art skills to be creative and generate images previously confined to their minds.

I created these using DALLE-2, asking it to combine the art styles of Stanislav Beksinski and Hayao Miyazaki. I just love these images. You can clearly see the influences of both artists but the end result is something totally unique. They're simultaneously cutesy like Ghibli art, and ominous and oppressive like Beksinski art.

View attachment 1022648View attachment 1022649
View attachment 1022650View attachment 1022651
View attachment 1022652
I always liked Beksinski, the 'master of the aftermath', reminder of decay and impermanence. One of the first things I did when I began experimenting with this AI meta-art is to create some Beksinski style pictures.
A lot of people don't know that in the last phase of his life before he was murdered, he experimented also with computer manipulated photographic art like below.

bexa-komp10.jpg
Beksinski , Untitled 1998

"
There is certain refreshment of mind in this work, the view from a totally different perspective than at painting. Playing with these programs, I can create artificial reality at any angle and figuratively ‘photographed’ it, which would be the final result of creation."

I think he would have loved the possibilities of AI art and I would have loved to see what he did with it.

The spamming and scams are what concerns me the most.

Hell, I got a DM on LInkedIn from a supposed "AI investor" with some made up company, with a made up avatar of some "hot chick", hitting on me.

Thanks, just what I want to have to deal with. It's only going to get worse.

Even heavier are the people who clone other people's voices (usually other family members) on the phone and scam people out of money.

I think it'll eventually settle on artists using AI to experiment without having to do all the legwork of developing multiple samples. More time for creativity and testing out wild concepts before committing to a certain style.

The more complex an idea, the more we have to rely on human creativity/divergent thinking to get it exactly where it needs to be. I feel like AI helps us get to the point where we can focus just on the creative aspects of a task.

Who knows, maybe this will lead to more people being able to express themselves artistically since they could use AI to get their ideas close to where they envisioned it. Or maybe it'll lead to a greater, more widespread appreciation for art, both human, AI, and hybrid forms.

Unless of course this is the timeline where AI tells humans how to think and feel, then that definitely changes things. I am awaiting confirmation on this.

Last edited:
Back