Can someone explain to me what is supposed to make the matrix a “good movie”?

Fuck you guys that boring piece of shit isn’t even top 5 movies of 99 how it is number 15 all time on imdb is beyond me lol

Fuck you guys that boring piece of shit isn’t even top 5 movies of 99 how it is number 15 all time on imdb is beyond me lol

Just because *you* don't like it, doesn't mean its not good. Movies, music, art, it's all subjective. Some people love country music. Personally, I can't stand it. Country music has millions of fans and sells millions of dollars of music, concerts, memorabilia every year. Just because I don't like it, doesn't make it shitty.

Keanu reeves on his computer while it’s storming outside in 1999. 100 million dollar idea

Well thriller movies always two slanted sides

Just because *you* don't like it, doesn't mean its not good. Movies, music, art, it's all subjective. Some people love country music. Personally, I can't stand it. Country music has millions of fans and sells millions of dollars of music, concerts, memorabilia every year. Just because I don't like it, doesn't make it shitty.

Okay explain how it’s better than Magnolia Fight Club Office Space American Beauty all of which came out in 99 and IMO shit all over the matrix - if you like matrix that’s fine I just don’t think it’s a good movie compared to lots on the IMDb top 100, seems out of place all things considered.

To have it ranked at 15 is quite laughable actually

There is a kind of a spin off of Dark City called The Signal..

If you haven't seen it, you should check it out

Okay explain how it’s better than Magnolia Fight Club Office Space American Beauty all of which came out in 99 and IMO shit all over the matrix - if you like matrix that’s fine I just don’t think it’s a good movie compared to lots on the IMDb top 100, seems out of place all things considered.

The same way some people like horror movies, some people like thrillers, some people like comedies, some people like dramas etc etc etc. And some people hate the above mentioned genres, and only watch documentary movies. There's no 'explaining' it, it's just the way it is.

IMDB has always been biased towards a certain kind of film, basically easily palatable action/thriller cinema that includes some nods to more intercultural concepts without really taking them seriously.

I have to say though I'm not a massive fan of alot of the other stuff you list from 99, Magnolia had some good scenes to it but I thought that was an era of a lot of quite self important Hollywood releases which really didnt live up to their ambition for me, never rated Sam Mendes that highly, Skyfall is his best film IMHO.

Honestly I tend to think the best cinema is focused either on entertainment or on art not on a kind of Oscar baity "serious middle ground". The Matrix was I think a very well made peice of entertainment with alot of originality to it or at least taking on alot of influence from Asia which were original at the time in the US.

The only movie that's close is Fight Club. The other movies are decent but not in the same league as The Matrix.

I always hear this movie touted as some cinema masterpiece and it’s always on people’s list of great movies yet every time I go to watch it I fall asleep or get bored and turn it off.. I’ve tried multiple times.

If someone can explain to me what makes that steaming pile of shit good without writing multiple paragraphs that bore the ever loving shit out of me like the movie that would also be nice

Just not your cup of tea I guess. I feel the same way about Star Wars the original ones were cool when I was a kid, but now I think they are average Sci-Fi movies. Personally I think the Matrix movies kick the shit out of anything Star Wars has ever done.

Fight club is much more overrated than the matrix

IMO

IMO

I think fight club is overrated to don’t get me wrong, but I liked it more than what I saw of the matrix.

I’ll get back to you on my top 15 tomorrow as well I’ll have to think about that - I have some movies in mind though definitely

I honestly don't like the Matrix at all, but I can understand why people like it or even love it.

Part of it is that I feel like the social commentary that runs through it is a little pretentious and elitist, in that it sort of invites people to see the movie as a metaphor for the real world, where the ignorant majority are living hollow lives in "the Matrix" of mainstream society, save for the elite, enlightened few who "get it", whom the audience is invited to identify with themselves.

IMO
If I take Fight Club as a movie attempting serious social commentary, I don't like it as much, but if I just take it as a bizarre ride, then I enjoy it more.

Carrie Ann Moss can still get it.

I saw her on Jessica Jones, she sorta looks like Enya now, but still has that MILFish sexiness factor.
Carrie-AnneMoss.jpg
Enya would get it too.

I always hear this movie touted as some cinema masterpiece and it’s always on people’s list of great movies yet every time I go to watch it I fall asleep or get bored and turn it off.. I’ve tried multiple times.

If someone can explain to me what makes that steaming pile of shit good without writing multiple paragraphs that bore the ever loving shit out of me like the movie that would also be nice
It steals a lot of cool ideas from other films like Darkcity and Johny Mnemonic and puts a lot of cool looking CGI on top, I guess?

It was 1999 expectations were lower then

Movies were far > then than they are now. imo.

If anything, expectations were probably much higher then. Especially for a film that had such a cryptic marketing campaign as this one did. Not telling anybody what the movie was about was a fairly rare move back then.

Groundbreaking cinematography and fight scenes.

Back