Can someone explain the appeal of Joanna Jedrzejczyk to me?

She's a vicious striker, that should be enough.

Actually, Rosi Sexton fought in the UFC bantamweight division (135 lbs) when she was with the UFC.

Just looked her up: 5 ft 4, often fights at 125lbs and is 37 years old! That KO was her third loss in a row and her retirement fight.

Not really sure what my point is though. I'm sure Joanna will give Esparza a decent fight, especially if it stays on the fight.

Thought she looked like Ross Pearson at first. Then she started to speak and now I'm in love with that voice. She's adorable as fuck and is one tough fighter.

Just looked her (Sexton) up: 5 ft 4, often fights at 125lbs and is 37 years old! That KO was her third loss in a row and her retirement fight.

Not really sure what my point is though. I'm sure Joanna will give Esparza a decent fight, especially if it stays on the fight.

So, Joanna's KO of Rosi retired her permanently? Sexton's first two losses of those three were fighting in the UFC, where she was outsized in the bantamweight (135 lbs) division, but nonetheless neither Jessica Andrade nor Alexis Davis finished her: both only beat her by decision. Joanna, on the other hand, finished her, fighting at 125 lbs.

Carla Esparza, the champion Joanna will be facing, is only 5' 1", and says she could make 105 lbs (instead of the strawweight 115 lbs) if she ate right.

Last edited:
That fight was fought at 125lbs. Sexton has spent most of her career at either 125 and 135 with a brief catchweight at 120 (at Bellator, vs. Zoila Frausto) Sexton probably could have fought some at 115lbs but that would have been a tough cut for her.

Joanna Jedrzejczyk, in MMA, had been fighting at 125 herself and between 122 and 128 for MT and KB. The UFC brought her into the 115lbs division, her first fight at that weight class was against Juliana Lima* in the UFC. Her second fight at that weight class was against Claudia Gadelha*.

There was considerable concern Jedrzejczyk wouldn't be able to make this weight class - she does not have a slender frame. She tends to walk around upwards of 135+ pounds.

* They have both each have three fights at 115lbs now themselves, having been fighting at 125 to 130 pounds prior to joining Invicta/UFC. Although Lima missed weight vs. Jedrzejczyk.

Thanks for the write up, thats some solid info. Not sure why I think Jedrzeczyk looks ridiculously larger than Sexton then...I must have fallen victim to the standard Sherdog "taller = bigger" complex :icon_lol:

No doubt that Jedrezejczyk must be cutting a hell of a lot though.

Jedi has the best hands in the division (this coming from a jojo calderwood fan) but yeah Jedi has the best hands in the division and she's displayed top notch tdd.

KO power.
Here's her KO of Rosi Sexton:

tumblr_n9ajtoTGs21r4c1k8o1_400.gif

just a reminder folks who don't pay attention to WMMA

Rosi Sexton fought twice at womens bantamweight for the UFC, she may have got fucking PUMMELED in both fights but didn't get knocked out...

Jedi Jedrzejczyk did that with like one punch

her striking is legit. She knocked down Claudia Gadelha who was widely considered the #1 of WSW and would be the reigning title holder akin to Cris Cyborg

So, Joanna's KO of Rosi retired her permanently?

Carla Esparza, the champion Joanna will be facing, is only 5' 1", and says she could make 105 lbs (instead of the strawweight 115 lbs) if she ate right.

Yeah, sounds like it. She might be doing some commentating for Cage Warriors apparently: http://mmajunkie.com/2014/06/ufc-be...vet-rosi-sexton-announces-retirement-from-mma

Good point about Carla - unusual to see such a successful wrestler with a size disadvantage! I guess one of the interesting things about the women's divisions is that the fighters vary so widely in terms of size and skill.

It's always a pleasure seeing a small wisp of a girl turn it on and become a killer

Thanks for the write up, thats some solid info. Not sure why I think Jedrzeczyk looks ridiculously larger than Sexton then...I must have fallen victim to the standard Sherdog "taller = bigger" complex :icon_lol:

No doubt that Jedrezejczyk must be cutting a hell of a lot though.

You're welcome. It is easy to make that mistake. 8)

She does cut a ton of weight but she joins tons of others cutting down to that weight class to make it into the UFC. Half of the UFC's strawweight division has fought mostly at higher weight classes.

Edit: Due to this you'll see numerous size mis-matches at strawweight, more so then at bantamweigth even though that also happens (135 having several 125ers and 145ers in it). There are about four atomweights in the UFC strawweight division. About nine to eleven flyweights depending on how you count them and then the rest strawweights.

(Example: 105er Alex Chambers vs. 125er Aisling Daly, who missed weight for that fight.)

Over the past six months about 55 people have dropped weight to look for an chance to fight for the UFC at 115lbs. Invicta started that trend bringing in flyweight prospects like Gadelha, Lima, and Calderwood two, plus, years ago. They have more recently brought in Alexa Grasso and Karolina Kowalkiewicz.

And there are others outside of Invicta who started making a switch within the past year and a half or so, like Kalindra Faria and Stephanie Eggink (although she wanted to get back to flyweight at one point prior to the UFC getting involved).

Eggink has a baby on the way so she is out of action for the next nine plus months.

--

That KO put Rosi out of fighting. She had previously been leaving it open to come back after a semi-retirement before going to the UFC at 135lbs. Once she was wiped out in that last fight she totally closed the door to making a return to MMA. Andrade had also beaten her pretty badly and Andrade was also a, sort of, up and coming flyweight prior to joining the UFC at bantmweight, much like fellow Brazilian Bethe Correia.

At least Andrade had three fights over 125lbs prior to getting into the UFC. Correia had only one fight at 135lbs when she joined.

Last edited:
When she was trying to gouge open Gadelha's cut with her fingers, it displayed an uncommon desire to win that impressed Dana White.

two things:

1 - hard-hitting, very MMA-effective kickboxing style
while some high level strikers have found it difficult to express themselves in an MMA context, Joanna has the athleticism and ring IQ to do so and it's a pleasure to watch

2 - personality-wise she appeals to fans immediately
tough but humble, intelligent, well-spoken. listen to what she said about Gadelha after getting the decision - it is exceedingly rare for a fighter to be this cool

Back