Can Ronda Handle a Striker?

Before I start I am now doubting that Ronda is a complete and total badass. But the thought first popped into my head when watching her second bout with Tate. When striking it seemed like Miesha was getting the better of her in the stand up game. But whenever she had an opening she tried to shoot in and got tossed. I feel like if a more solid striker (with some takedown defense) went up against her they would find far more success. Thoughts?

My thoughts are you need to look up the fight stats for both Ronda vs Meisha fights. Ronda got the better of her striking both times. Also, Ronda has evolved since that fight (even Meisha said so) and is no longer the same animal.

When Ronda faces an excellent striker, like Holly, I don't see her getting KOed quickly so the striker would have to keep it standing for 25 minutes. In order to do that she'll need more than 'some TDD'.

Even if the fight stays standing, Ronda could (and against most women will) still get the better of her in striking as well.

I went ahead and looked up the fight stats for the last fight for you.

Ronda: Sig Strikes - 40 of 63, Total Strikes - 134 of 161
Meisha: Sig Strikes - 24 of 50, Total Strikes - 28 of 54

A higher percentage of strikes Meisha threw were significant (50 out of 54 vs 63 out of 161) but she didn't land most of those strikes.

I think is one of the main reasons Rousey is gonna be hard to beat. The striking in that division is atrocious. She doesn't have to worry about getting laid out, or a puncher's chance. Part of her game is absorbing punches. She is willing to eat a few. Striking is less relevant in WMMA. It is less of a game changer.

I still stand by my statement that Miesha did damn well in striking. If a good, strong boxer were to get in the pocket with her I think they would fare far better. Someone tough like Pena.
Pena is tough but ronda vs pena. Lmao. Anything is possible but Pena would get wrecked imo.

Here is who went the distance with Holly.

Angela Hayes currently 6-8. Angela is 41 years old and had gone two years without a fight.

Aisling Daly submitted Angela back in 2011.

Angela lost to Ariel beck recently who at the time was 0-1.

I am quite shocked that it was Angela Hays that went the distance with Holly.

Holly will have to do much getter than she did against Angela. Holly can't leave Ronda hanging in there like she did against Angela.

I think Holly's chances are quite low against Ronda.

Last edited:
she showed she can eat good shots,but theres cyborg and theres everyone else,and ronda can beat everyone else standing,which isnt much to write home about there.

I'm sure a better striker will eventually come along. However, if Rousey is able to get inside, the judo trips or tosses are an express ticket to arm bar victory. So the striker opponent would need to get the early KO or have the ability to control distance and defend takedowns if the fight goes the distance.

she showed she can eat good shots,but theres cyborg and theres everyone else,and ronda can beat everyone else standing,which isnt much to write home about there.

Cyborg takes too long to get the TKO and to my knowledge has never KOed someone to the point her opponent takes leave of her senses.

I don't think Cyborg's striking is good enough to face Ronda.

Anyone with better striking than rhonda right now will be easily taken down by her

Cyborg takes too long to get the TKO and to my knowledge has never KOed someone to the point her opponent takes leave of her senses.

lol,get a load of this guy

There aren't(and may never be) strikers with enough power to keep her from getting to the clinch

lol,get a load of this guy

1. I'm a girl

2. Name a time Cyborg quickly KOed her opponent without relying on volume punching.

3. Grown men should never say 'LOL'. That's off topic but needs to be said.

1. I'm a girl

2. Name a time Cyborg quickly KOed her opponent without relying on volume punching.

3. Grown men should never say 'LOL'. That's off topic but needs to be said.

rofllol

This is a nonsensical response.

Also I noticed you still haven't shown me a time Cyborg quickly KOed her opponent.

Note: the time she got busted for PEDs doesn't count.

Cyborg hits hard of course, but she has no footwork and her flat footed, winged punches throw her off balance. Cyborg is tailor made to get tossed by Ronda.

To beat R3 you need tdd, great striking and lotsa cardio cos it will be gruelling and very physical in the first 2/3 rounds... I feel r3 has potential problems with cardio with such a big weight cut that havent really been exposed...that said nobody in the division can do that at all and my opinion of the cyborg fight has changed so r3 is pretty much untouchable till she meets her Weidman (she'll retire before that)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back