Can Ronda Handle a Striker?

TheReaper

White Belt
Reaction score
Before I start I am now doubting that Ronda is a complete and total badass. But the thought first popped into my head when watching her second bout with Tate. When striking it seemed like Miesha was getting the better of her in the stand up game. But whenever she had an opening she tried to shoot in and got tossed. I feel like if a more solid striker (with some takedown defense) went up against her they would find far more success. Thoughts?

Tate never got the better of Rousey in the standup. Not in the fight in Strikeforce, not in the UFC fight.

Rousey beat her so bad, she made Tate shoot for takedowns which ended up with Tate getting tossed.

To answer your question, she handled Kaufman pretty well, who is one of the better strikers in the division.

Tate wasn't winning anywhere in the fight.

Do people think we've forgotten since it's been a while or something?

If there was a fighter with both high level striking and takedown defence she could well have problems but no such fighter exists in the womens sport nore anywhere close to one.

Yes. A better striker might be able to hit Ronda more. Good observation.

Ronda is the best at everything in her division.

Striking, grappling, you name it.

Before I start I am now doubting that Ronda is a complete and total badass. But the thought first popped into my head when watching her second bout with Tate. When striking it seemed like Miesha was getting the better of her in the stand up game. But whenever she had an opening she tried to shoot in and got tossed. I feel like if a more solid striker (with some takedown defense) went up against her they would find far more success. Thoughts?

chances are she ragdolls almost any striker then rips there arm off..... so yes I think she could more than handle a striker

I think Conor can take her at a catch weight

I still stand by my statement that Miesha did damn well in striking. If a good, strong boxer were to get in the pocket with her I think they would fare far better. Someone tough like Pena.

lol...well who is the best striker in WMMA? there is no one that has good enough TTD against ronda. and even if they were good on the ground (Alexis davis, black belt), they dont have good enough striking if it was maintained on the feet.

i seriously think Alexis Davis is one of the most well rounded in WBW, but like leagues below Ronda.

Given her grappling chops, it wouldn't take long for her to score a good takedown and eliminate the threat posed by a striker.

i seriously think Alexis Davis is one of the most well rounded in WBW, but like leagues below Ronda.

I think Davis get too much of a bad rap for what happened with Ronda. I don't think Davis has a chance against Ronda if they ever fought again but Davis is way better than average in the division, she is actually quite good compared to the other women. Ronda just make her look bad.

I think that Ronda beats a good striker while standing due to the fact that they'll be so worried about the clinch, and takedowns. As soon as Ronda clinches you, it's inevitable that you're going to end up on your back. We've seen several times in the past that an amazing striker can look average when the threat of a takedown comes into the mix.

Mcmann was cracking her before being shoved against the cage. I don't think anyone with the striking to trouble Rousey has the skill to prevent Ronda's grappling onslaught long enough to make it count though.

A lot of people dislike Ronda and think she's all throws and the day she can't get it to the ground she's in for a long night. Ronda has even been winning in the stand up even though it's not there for long. Ronda has very underrated stand up because her takedowns and ground game is so good but she might be one of the best strikers as well.

If by far more success you mean throwing one hit more before getting horribly ran over - than yes, a striker would have far more success.

If there was a fighter with both high level striking and takedown defence she could well have problems but no such fighter exists in the womens sport nore anywhere close to one.

Joanna Jedrzejczyk combines high level striking with high level takedown defense (which will be heavily tested when she fights Carla Esparza for the strawweight title).
Rousey won't ever have to worry about her, however, as they aren't in the same weight division.

Back