Can kettlebells really replace traditional weight training?

Cool RoboCop Gun

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
I haven't been back to the gym in months because of the pandemic. Too much risk in my area, I have loved ones to consider, etc.

Unfortunately, I do not have weights at home. Just a bunch of kettlebells. Don't even have a bench.

I think I have been getting good work with the kettlebells. But I can't help feeling they are not a true substitute for traditional lifting, and I will continue to lose strength/muscle mass until I get back on the barbells and dumbbells.

Am I right? Or just being narrow minded?

They are just another training tool. Barbells are king when it comes to strength training, and you’re not likely to get anywhere near your strength ceiling, using other forms of training.

That said, no reason you can’t maintain a decent level of strength(or increase strength if you are in the beginner stage), maintain/increase muscle mass, and improve muscular endurance with non-barbell training methodologies, eg kettlebells, dumbbells, and bw training.

Last edited:
I haven't been back to the gym in months because of the pandemic. Too much risk in my area, I have loved ones to consider, etc.

Unfortunately, I do not have weights at home. Just a bunch of kettlebells. Don't even have a bench.

I think I have been getting good work with the kettlebells. But I can't help feeling they are not a true substitute for traditional lifting, and I will continue to lose strength/muscle mass until I get back on the barbells and dumbbells.

Am I right? Or just being narrow minded?

I'm in exactly the same boat. And no, of course kettlebells cannot replace barbells and dumbbells in terms of developing strength. Even Pavel stated that the best exercise for developing upper body strength and hypertrophy was the Bench Press.

That said, any port in a storm. Kettlebells, especially when combined with Calisthenics, at least allows one to keep some muscle mass and strength. And Kettlebell Swings are a lot of fun; I'm going to keep them as a part of my training even after the gyms reopen next week.

"Replace traditional weight training"

Define "traditional"... and define your goals.

If you want to get stronger in the bench press, you probably want to bench press, but if you want to get stronger *in general* your muscle fibres can't tell what you're lifting. You'll will however be breaking down slightly different ones, and using different technique, so it doesn't transfer 1:1 once you get back in the gym.

If you're a powerlifter, or you prefer to stay on your old routine, go on craigslist and buy some cheap gear. A lot of people bought stuff in the early stages of the pandemic, and now that they're back in the gym, they are selling it again. You can probably get a good deal locally and save on shipping.

If you're a powerlifter, or you prefer to stay on your old routine, go on craigslist and buy some cheap gear. A lot of people bought stuff in the early stages of the pandemic, and now that they're back in the gym, they are selling it again. You can probably get a good deal locally and save on shipping.

It's the exact opposite in my area. Demand for home weight training equipment has surged, and the price point has increased - both among retailers and among local sellers.

Gyms around here are not open like they were pre-pandemic. Measures are in place. You have to book your time. There is a lower limit on the number of people in the building. There are enhanced hygiene protocols. You have to wear a mask in common areas.

There's a good possibility this isn't temporary, and people's gym-going habits have changed for the long term.

I'm in exactly the same boat. And no, of course kettlebells cannot replace barbells and dumbbells in terms of developing strength. Even Pavel stated that the best exercise for developing upper body strength and hypertrophy was the Bench Press.

That said, any port in a storm. Kettlebells, especially when combined with Calisthenics, at least allows one to keep some muscle mass and strength. And Kettlebell Swings are a lot of fun; I'm going to keep them as a part of my training even after the gyms reopen next week.

I'm inclined to agree: Kettlebells can't replace standard free weights. But I appreciate the encouragement. And I also find kettlebell swings are fun.

Just wish there was an easy way for me to bench press again!

I'm inclined to agree: Kettlebells can't replace standard free weights. But I appreciate the encouragement. And I also find kettlebell swings are fun.

Just wish there was an easy way for me to bench press again!

Push-up variations? I would think someone who is proficient with weighted push-ups, one-arm push-ups, handstand push-ups, etc can maintain a pretty strong bench. One of the few lifts you maintain intermediate levels of strength by simply doing increasingly difficult bw varaitions at high volume.

Lower body-dominant lifts are the difficult ones. All the pistol squats, jump squats, and single-leg DL's in the world won't maintain a 2x bw squat(in the absence of chemical assistance).

I'd like to see a kettlebell master walk up to a barbell and deadlift 495 pounds despite never training with a barbell.

I think Wes forgot to include "take a bunch of steroids and pretend like you're actually that strong without modern science making you a lab rat".

That's the only reason @JimRussel gets to be an "authority" on what's strong. Dude shoved drugs in his ass until he got jacked.

Does it hurt your feelings that I was still stronger than you as a natty at a lighter body weight before I hit the jet fuel?

We got another weird guy here thinking more about what goes into my body than me lol.

Does it hurt your feelings that I was still stronger than you as a natty at a lighter body weight before I hit the jet fuel?

We got another weird guy here thinking more about what goes into my body than me lol.

Why would it hurt my feelings that someone on the planet is stronger than me? I'm just talking about all those drugs you shoot into your ass.

Why would it hurt my feelings that someone on the planet is stronger than me? I'm just talking about all those drugs you shoot into your ass.
For a guy who used steroids, you don’t really seem to know how they work.

I don't understand how someone who has used prior is trying to claim the moral high ground.

Because he doesn’t use now and only ever used it to protect your freedom, you terrible unpatriotic fuck.

I think no amount of calisthenics or kettlebells is going to have the same effect as working your bench up to 400lbs, but I think for the average individual (let’s face it 99% of people who train will never even see 300 let alone 400) I think that combination might be completely sufficient.

You have to be pretty jacked in order to press a 100lb kettlebell overhead, there’s no way around that. Add in dips, pushups, and chins, and you’ve got a pretty complete upper body program. For lower body, swings and lunges with varying styles of holding the bells should produce similar hypertrophy as what the average gym goer achieves in their squat and deadlift (assuming like a BWx1.5 for squats and BWx2 for deadlift).

I think no amount of calisthenics or kettlebells is going to have the same effect as working your bench up to 400lbs, but I think for the average individual (let’s face it 99% of people who train will never even see 300 let alone 400) I think that combination might be completely sufficient.

You have to be pretty jacked in order to press a 100lb kettlebell overhead, there’s no way around that. Add in dips, pushups, and chins, and you’ve got a pretty complete upper body program. For lower body, swings and lunges with varying styles of holding the bells should produce similar hypertrophy as what the average gym goer achieves in their squat and deadlift (assuming like a BWx1.5 for squats and BWx2 for deadlift).

Agreed. Kettlebells and calisthenics won't develop the same level of maximal strength as barbells. Nothing will. But as you say, they are good enough for someone who doesn't want or need to push their limits when it comes to developing strength. And that includes most competitive fighters, since strength is just another part of a fighter's GPP.

That said, if I have the choice, I will always use Barbells for the majority of my strength training. They deliver the most bang for the buck.

Back