Can kettlebells really replace traditional weight training?

I dont believe machines are superior. I posed a rhetorical question challenging the comment that dumbells are inferior because less weight is used than with barbells - because if that logic were true then machines would be more effective than barbells lol.

I do prefer most barbell movements over most dumbell movements. I've literally never done an exercise with a kettlebell. Not due to their effectiveness or lack thereof, just never tried them.

We all have different body structures, mobility, perhaps existing injuries, levels of motivation for certain exercises etc - that's why I say do what you feel is best for you and dont get hung up over details of barbell vs kettlebell etc.

Youre just answering a different thread is all. Youre sharing your personal fitness philosophy. He was asking a question about strength training.

Youre just answering a different thread is all. Youre sharing your personal fitness philosophy. He was asking a question about strength training.

<TrumpWrong1>

Re-read his post, he asked if he would lose strength and muscle by using only kettlebells for a while

Studies outlined in the video showed kettlebells are inferior to weight lifting for strength gains and treadmills for calorie burning. So no, it can't replace anything.

KB’s may not be able to replace powerlifting in terms of developing maximal strength, but if you do a lot of heavy KB swings and snatches you will get very strong, no question.

Also, KB’s are pretty cheap and easy to store, compared to plates, a bar, a bench, and a rack. KB workouts are quicker than powerlifting routines, and are easier to recover from. KB’s are extremely versatile, you can get a lot of use out of just a single KB with the proper weight. In my experience, injuries are less common from kettlebells than from powerlifting. Those are a few reasons why someone might use kettlebells for strength training.

Last edited:
As a kettlebell guy who trains at a strongfirst gym ill say this:

Even as a kettlebel (mostly) gym, we agree that nothing gets you to increase raw power than getting under a heavy bar.

Kettlebell, bar, bodyweight all have their benefits.

But if you want get raw power, get under a heavy bar.

Last edited:
As a kettlebell guy who trains at a strongfirst gym ill say this:

Even as a kettlebel (mostly) gym, we agree that nothing gets you to increase raw power than getting under a heavy bar.

Kettlebell, bar, bodyweight all have their benefits.

But if you want get raw power, get under a heavy bar.

Agreed. Pavel himself said the same. When asked what exercise was best for developing upper body pressing strength, he picked barbell bench press.

That said, Kettlebells helped me get through six months of Lockdown without losing too much strength(not that I had much to begin with:oops:). They are versatile and don't take up much space. Given the choice, barbells will always be my go to training method for strength. But if that's not an option, you can still do a lot of good with Kettlebells and Calisthenics.:cool:

Btw kettlebells are not new it has been around in different forms since the greek/chinese eras.

It was used in europe also
View media item 33612View media item 33611

Also the first lifts with the bar were hinge press/windmills. Not the lifts you use today. Heck the squat rack and the bench press rack are relatively modern inventions compared to the kettlebell.

Kettlebell bent press in the 1896 olympics

Last edited:
Back