Can kettlebells really replace traditional weight training?

Barbells are definitely better for strength than kettlebells. I'm not sure how you can actually argue otherwise. Can you get stronger with kettlebells and dumbells? Yeah. Is it the most efficient way? No.

Everyone's different and should try and see what works best for them, not what some experiment on the internet says.

I usually incorporate barbells, dumbells and some cables & machines, but havent found differences in gains when experimenting with just dumbells or just barbells for a few months at a time.

Fun question - is a kettlebell more effective if using two hands at a time?

For example, if curling a single kettlebell while gripping it with both hands...vs unilaterally?

Both hands at a time mimics a close-grip barbell curl, whereas unilaterally does not.

Is one more effective than the other?

For example, if curling a single kettlebell while gripping it with both hands...vs unilaterally?

Both hands at a time mimics a close-grip barbell curl, whereas unilaterally does not.

Experiment with both for a couple months and let us know what you find.

Aim Higher? dude looks good for a natural, this is an attainable body. And women prefer this over a powerlfter, show the type of ideal body you like man post some pics Im curious.
Eric_Leija_Website_Featured_Images_Page_04-1200x630-cropped.jpg

501b0bedcd9277c48f6a31edc57c9969.jpg

It's the Strength and Conditioning sub-forum. The question posed was whether KB's can replace barbells. Not what type of body makes the ladies - and @TidWell - all tingly in their little special place;)

Last edited:
In case anybody hasn't seen it, and is interested.

I don't know how anyone could argue against barbells being #1 for world class strength. Where are the 800 lb kettlebells? Seriously words lose their meaning so fast. Strength. I think kettlebells are best for running too while we're at it, because Joe Rogans steroid using little ass sells them.

It's the Strength and Conditioning sub-forum. The question posed was whether KB's can replace barbells. Not what type of body makes the ladies - and @TidWell - all tingly in their little special place;)
Haha sick joke, very new material.

You can get a good conditioning workout but it won't be the same as heavy barbell work. Not to mention price per pound (even pre-quarintine) is much more expensive

Of you want to lift and can't find plates you can make your own out of concrete. Peeps have been doing that since the start of lockdown

You can get a good conditioning workout but it won't be the same as heavy barbell work. Not to mention price per pound (even pre-quarintine) is much more expensive

Of you want to lift and can't find plates you can make your own out of concrete. Peeps have been doing that since the start of lockdown

I lift my feels. Feel me bro?

I don't know how anyone could argue against barbells being #1 for world class strength. Where are the 800 lb kettlebells? Seriously words lose their meaning so fast. Strength. I think kettlebells are best for running too while we're at it, because Joe Rogans steroid using little ass sells them.
I don't think I've ever heard anyone argue that kettle bells are superior to barbells at increasing brute strength.

I think kettlebells are best for running too while we're at it, because Joe Rogans steroid using little ass sells them.

Joe Rogan is a bit of a tool, but you wouldn’t be on TRT and HGH if you were wealthy beyond belief and had unlimited access to doctors and the very best medical care?

Joe Rogan is a bit of a tool, but you wouldn’t be on TRT and HGH if you were wealthy beyond belief and had unlimited access to doctors and the very best medical care?

I'm not rich and I'm not his age yet so I cant say for sure.

I can say for sure I wouldn't talk so much about "conquering my inner bitch" all the time if I did. Like his buddy Cam Hanes. He's on like 3 different steroids and he's Mr. No Magic Pill on social media. To me its goofy.

I'm not rich and I'm not his age yet so I cant say for sure.

I can say for sure I wouldn't talk so much about "conquering my inner bitch" all the time if I did. Like his buddy Cam Hanes. He's on like 3 different steroids and he's Mr. No Magic Pill on social media. To me its goofy.

Joe Rogan has a Spotify contract worth hundreds of millions of dollars. You’d say anything for that money and opportunity. So would I.

It’s one of those “don’t hate the player, hate the game” situations. If you can’t sniff out the bullshit, that’s on you. The people who think Rogan is still some everyman are hopeless.

Joe Rogan has a Spotify contract worth hundreds of millions of dollars. You’d say anything for that money and opportunity. So would I.

It’s one of those “don’t hate the player, hate the game” situations. If you can’t sniff out the bullshit, that’s on you. The people who think Rogan is still some everyman are hopeless.

You're right, I do hate the game. To me its the view for men. Rogan is just making his money but he's a real dufus alright.

Pretty sure no one gives a shit about the close grip barbell curl tho

Pretty sure no one gives a shit about the close grip barbell curl tho

It's just an example to show much of the "dumbell vs barbell" comments dont make sense...here's another - overhead cambered bar tricep extensions vs dumbell extensions (two arms holding one dumbell or even one kettlebell). Why does the shape of the free weight make a difference?

It's just an example to show much of the "dumbell vs barbell" comments dont make sense...here's another - overhead cambered bar tricep extensions vs dumbell extensions (two arms holding one dumbell or even one kettlebell). Why does the shape if the free weight make a difference?
Unilateral movements ensure that one limb isn't overpowering the other and ensures strength is developed equally. As far as your kettlebell question. If you curl a 35lbs KB with one hand, is it harder than curling a 35lbs KB with 2 hands?

Unilateral movements ensure that one limb isn't overpowering the other and ensures strength is developed equally. As far as your kettlebell question. If you curl a 35lbs KB with one hand, is it harder than curling a 35lbs KB with 2 hands?

You misunderstood my post. I dont have an actual question. I typed a few rhetorical questions to ridicule some of the absolute-statements made here like barbells are "more effective" than dumbells and kettlebells.

You misunderstood my post. I dont have an actual question. I typed a few rhetorical questions to ridicule some of the absolute-statements made here like barbells are "more effective" than dumbells and kettlebells.
For strength and hypertrophy purposes, barbells beat other training modalities the vast majority of the time.

For strength and hypertrophy purposes, barbells beat other training modalities the vast majority of the time.

In a hypothetical example of someone training with "only barbells" vs "only dumbells and kettlebells" for a long term I agree with you.

It's an unlikely hypothetical scenario though.

Back