Can i tone my body by jogging?

BadIntentions

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Okay i'm 5'9" and weigh just about 155 pounds. I have some definition in my arms.... my gut is fairly big. By jogging can I sweat off a gut and look more toned? Okay also how much would i have to jog? Would a mile and a half be enough lets say 3 times a week be enough? I just wanna look more defined and have a decent six pack.

Yes that would work. But at 5'9" 155, that's already pretty slim. It would be easier for you to lift some weights first and bulk up and then cut the gut by jogging. What you say will be enough provided you don't start eating more when u start running. When you burn calories you lose fat.

stop drinking and eating shit food, and even that piddly amount of running would give you results in a month.

Jogging is really good for you man. You should do it everyday, for as long as you can.... as your endurance builds the more you should do. You cant go wrong with basics, push ups and sit ups man. Do about three to four sets of 25 sit ups a day, for a guy who is 5'9, 155 pounds it shouldnt be too difficult to tone yourself.

If you only weight 155 but you have a gut then your gonna have a hard time getting toned because it doesnt sound like you have much muscle mass. Clean up your diet and lift for a while before you worry about being cut.

Jogging is good, however you should try this, to get some definition in your abs, try doing twist sit-ups with a weight crossed over your chest (preferably the kind you puto dumbbells or something) and that will help scult your abs. Just couple your jogging with that, eat the right kinds of foods and you're good.

5-9 155lbs, I cant see you having that big of a gut. But to answer the question, yes you should run and add in some weight training.

From being overweight in the past, I can tell you that jogging is'nt enough. If you're eating too much, you're likely going to eat even more when you jog. They say losing weight is half eating properly, half exercise, but I think it's more like 80% proper eating habits and 20% exercise.

As for getting toned, you won't get toned in your upper body by jogging. If you have access to a gym, I recommend using the cross-trainer (which looks like cross country skiing) a lot. It not only will hit your upper and lower body, but the twisting motion also tones your entire midsection. I noticed my body started looking "chiseled", when I started using level 10+ resistance on the machine.

Try rowing, too. That worked for me pretty quickly, about 30-45 minutes every day.

eat healthy...you can lose alot of weight with the right diet.
i'm one of those lucky people...no matter how much junk i eat, i never gain any weight i'm 6'2 142 lb haha

Jogging is wicked. Make sure you jog for at least 20 mins though. If you can jogg 40 mins 5 times a

week you will see results in a month for sure. You also have to watch some of the shit you are

eating too. Put down the chips and beer and go for the chicken breasts and fruit!

Interval training is better for burning calories. When you jog your body becomes efficient (this is bad) at jogging. After awhile you'll only burn calories WHILE you jog. The trick is to keep the burn going. Interval training (5 min warmup, 10 second sprints every 20 seconds while jogging) will keep the burn going longer. Diet is crucial, cut the crap. The only liquids you should be drinking (if you're serious) is water and milk. Olympic style weight training will carve your ass out of wood if you do it correctly. Lots of overhead lifting (very inefficient which is good for strength training.) Good luck

Ancient Warrior said:
From being overweight in the past, I can tell you that jogging is'nt enough. If you're eating too much, you're likely going to eat even more when you jog. They say losing weight is half eating properly, half exercise, but I think it's more like 80% proper eating habits and 20% exercise...
I have to agree with you there. Besides, cardio training should be for at least 20 minutes (once your heart rate is up) 3 times a week. 1 1/2 miles is not enough. If that takes you 20 minutes, then you may as well be walking.

That siad, lifting weights is a much better option than a little jogging. Cardio workouts raise your metabolism by about 75% for about 30 minutes. Full body weight raises it about 20 percent for 48 hours. This means that if you do a full body workout every other day, and eat right, you will always have your metabolism raised by about 20%.

I run 4 miles in the morning before work and then i run for 2 hours at 7:30 at night..I've been out since thursday though becasue i was jogging and out of no where i stepped down and my knee just hurt like hell, now I have sever pain just walking like a little under my knee cap on the inside of my leg. still dunno what caused that or whats happening but oh well. But yeah Jogging is the great for Cardio and trimmin and slimming down, Just don't neglect your body of lifting either wich alot of people do becasue you want to bulk up while slimming the fat that way you look tighter

The answer to your question is no, not by itself. It sounds like you may be pretty lean already. I would suggest cutting fats out of your diet, weight train(build muscle mass = burn more calories) and jog or do cardio of some kind for 30 -45 minutes.

bacon said:
Interval training is better for burning calories. When you jog your body becomes efficient (this is bad) at jogging. After awhile you'll only burn calories WHILE you jog.

On the other hand when body becomes efficient at jogging it also learns how to burn more compared to carbohydrates. I would say long jogs are better for losing weight than interval training.

Jogging is going to help you burn off systemic fat throughout the body, but I would imagine that you'd need to do some isometric exercises for toning specific areas.

Back