Can Conor finish Poirier?

I wouldn't be surprised if it goes like this:
Conor clips Dustin, goes for the kill, Dustin survives, Conor (half) gasses, slowly loses the will to fight, and gets finished in Round 2/3.
Will be happy to be proved wrong by Conor, but not getting any hopes up.

If he still has the fire within, I hope he wins.
If not, no point in fighting again, he has lots of others things in life.

Stopped reading when you said Conor hasn't finished anybody in five and a half years. He finished Cowboy 2 fights ago.
that was a garbage fight, you could finish cowboy now

Conor seems more into bodybuilding and modeling these days.

And I have to admit; he's sexy as F.

But that ain't going to beat DP.

Conor has all the tools to beat Dustin, but I don't think he will. He just seems too casual about his loss, and he seemed to take a knockout win for granted during the fight.

On paper he just has to learn to defend the calf kick which is a small adjustment, but in reality he wasn't moving well before he was on one leg. He didn't look dynamic. He was plodding forward looking for a big corkscrew uppercut and he didn't seem to have an answer for what to do if that didn't work.

Conor has 8 minute cardio. If Dustin fights smart and mixes in grappling again, he'll easily tire out Conor by the 2nd round and then have his way with him.

Porier being able to take McGregor's shots was the turning point in the fight for me. Once I saw that Poirier was able to take his blows in round 1 and stay composed I was fairly certain that Poirier was going to win the fight.

The thing is that Poirier himself is dangerous in the first round, McGregor can't pressure him too heavy early because Poirier is a strong puncher.

The only place McGregor has a real advantage is with his kicks. If he can incorporate his kicks into his punching than he will have a much better chance of beating Poirier. He let Poirier completely dictate the kicks in the first fight, on top of not defending low kicks.

If McGregor tries to rely on his punching to win the rematch (even with some low kick defense) he will probably lose again.

People always talk about Conor's "power" but really his KOs come from landing shots that guys don't see coming. Right timing, right spot. He had the speed and agility to catch guys with those shots. Now, he largely just tries to headhunt. He tries to force the KO shots, and since he's put on size and muscle, he's not quite as quick or agile. He doesn't move as well, and his hands aren't as fast. Guys are anticipating the left hand and seeing it coming. He also got away from his kicking game, and is much more predictable now. He doesn't mix it up nearly as much as he used to.

Dustin himself said Conor hurt him and would've KO'd him in the 1st had he simply followed up on his shots, so obviously.

I think he can. If he landa his power left followed by several shots to knock DPndown, he can get a TKO.

Considering he's finished Dustin before pretty easily.
I think even past prime, busted hands and knees Conor could still finish Dustin.

He also hurt Dustin a few times in their last contest.

Dustin is going to wreck him again. It’s not going to be close. Connor lost his edge years ago.
Have to agree. Conor isn't as sharp as he used to be. Probably Dustin going to win. Conor is getting old and fighting is young man's sport.

Oh I thought so little of him finishing Cowboy I entirely forgot, mb.

When is the last time Cerrone was "anybody"? Cerrone hasn't been ranked in a while and especially fails on all of his big fights. Conor definitely hasn't finished anyone in five years.

that was a garbage fight, you could finish cowboy now

I'm definitely not speaking to the quality of that win, but it happened and it was finish.

I'm rooting for Porrier, I expect him to finish Conor again tbh, but I do think Conor still has the ability to put him away.

Porier being able to take McGregor's shots was the turning point in the fight for me. Once I saw that Poirier was able to take his blows in round 1 and stay composed I was fairly certain that Poirier was going to win the fight.

The thing is that Poirier himself is dangerous in the first round, McGregor can't pressure him too heavy early because Poirier is a strong puncher.

The only place McGregor has a real advantage is with his kicks. If he can incorporate his kicks into his punching than he will have a much better chance of beating Poirier. He let Poirier completely dictate the kicks in the first fight, on top of not defending low kicks.

If McGregor tries to rely on his punching to win the rematch (even with some low kick defense) he will probably lose again.
Poirier himself said that Conor rocked him in the first round and if he followed up on that, he'd be in trouble so he can definitely finish Poirier. The question is, will he be able to land like that in the triology. If he doesn't, I think poirier will finish him or get the dicision.

Of course he can, are you serious?

Conor had Dustin slightly rocked in the first round of their second fight, you can see it in Dustin's face.

Still Dustin should be the favorite to win. He is the more complete fighter and I believe he is the better 155lber.

Of course. Poirier is afraid of a smack. And if you're afraid of a smack off him, a smack will feel like a double-barrel shotgun!

It's the younger fighter that wins the second fight that generally wins the third. At least get the saying right.

Back