Can Conor finish Poirier?

JustOnce

On Hiatus
Double Yellow Card
Reaction score
So it was a common consensus among pros and sherdoggers alike, early it's Conor, late it's Poirier.

I was kinda thinking about the trilogy fight, and just suddenly wondered about this, which I always thought as a given that Conor could. First off, immediate rematch, especially after getting ktfo, greatly favors Poirier.

Most of times in the history of MMA, the guy who won the second fight goes onto win the third, even if they didn't get violently finished. Not only did he get his lights put out, he's not taking much time to regroup and he prob doesn't have a whole lot of time to make adjustments either. He's still in Dubai vacationing, so it's not like he's in a hurry to make those adjustments, it looks like.

The facts are that Conor hasn't finished ANYBODY last five and half years. Poirier got finished by Conor at FW but that was long time ago and it looks like Poirier is a bigger, thicker man at LW than Conor so he appear to have a size advantage as well.

What also seems problematic is that it wasn't that Conor didn't land on Poirier, because he did, but it seemed to have no effect on Poirier at all. It didn't seem to even hurt him even a tiny bit and it landed flush more than once.

It's also worth noting Conor is a type who relied on his speed and timing. If there's first thing that goes for a fighter as they age, it's just that. Conor would turn 33 a week after the fight. It's not necessarily old for MMA fighter, but not the best for a striker who relies on speed, timing and reaction, which Conor is.

Lastly, Dustin is already training hard, but Conor is still vacationing with his family in Dubai and not even sure when he will start training. He is busy on Twitter and Instagram calling out Usman and talking shit about Khabib however.

Personally, I'm not counting out the possibility that Conor's just coming to collect paychecks at this point, and I'm not sure if Conor's heart is in the game no more. If it was, I'd imagine he wouldn't be wanting to fight Diego, and not still be hanging out with his family in Dubai.

So the question remains however, can Conor finish Poirier for the first time in five and half years when his flush shots seemed to have no effect on the LW version of Poirier who hasn't been finished to strikes in about five years while possibly not taking this as seriously as he should?

Conor will take Dustins head clean off in the very first exhange to end the trilogy and the move up to WW.

Dustin is going to wreck him again. It’s not going to be close. Connor lost his edge years ago.

Conor is such a killer, doesn't rush in when he rocks someone, but puts together amazing combinations, distance and timing when closing the show, he's just a great finisher. So yeah of course, but he'll probably wilt and get smashed, well hopefully.

So it was a common consensus among pros and sherdoggers alike, early it's Conor, late it's Poirier.

I was kinda thinking about the trilogy fight, and just suddenly wondered about this, which I always thought as a given that Conor could. First off, immediate rematch, especially after getting ktfo, greatly favors Poirier.

Most of times in the history of MMA, the guy who won the second fight goes onto win the third, even if they didn't get violently finished. Not only did he get his lights put out, he's not taking much time to regroup and he prob doesn't have a whole lot of time to make adjustments either. He's still in Dubai vacationing, so it's not like he's in a hurry to make those adjustments, it looks like.

The facts are that Conor hasn't finished ANYBODY last five and half years. Poirier got finished by Conor at FW but that was long time ago and it looks like Poirier is a bigger, thicker man at LW than Conor so he appear to have a size advantage as well.

What also seems problematic is that it wasn't that Conor didn't land on Poirier, because he did, but it seemed to have no effect on Poirier at all. It didn't seem to even hurt him even a tiny bit and it landed flush more than once.

It's also worth noting Conor is a type who relied on his speed and timing. If there's first thing that goes for a fighter as they age, it's just that. Conor would turn 33 a week after the fight. It's not necessarily old for MMA fighter, but not the best for a striker who relies on speed, timing and reaction, which Conor is.

Lastly, Dustin is already training hard, but Conor is still vacationing with his family in Dubai and not even sure when he will start training. He is busy on Twitter and Instagram calling out Usman and talking shit about Khabib however.

Personally, I'm not counting out the possibility that Conor's just coming to collect paychecks at this point, and I'm not sure if Conor's heart is in the game no more. If it was, I'd imagine he wouldn't be wanting to fight Diego, and not still be hanging out with his family in Dubai.

So the question remains however, can Conor finish Poirier for the first time in five and half years when his flush shots seemed to have no effect on the LW version of Poirier who hasn't been finished to strikes in about five years while possibly not taking this as seriously as he should?
Yes and he will

"Conor hasn't finished ANYBODY in the past 5.5 years"

Uhh...Cerrone? Also Alvarez was Nov. 2016, less than 5 years ago.

But that's beyond the point. Can McGregor finish Porier? I'd like to think so considering he has knocked him out in the 1st round before.

Even if he somehow managed to drop Dustin, I trust Dustin off his back more than I trust Conor in top control.

He couldn't survive 2 rounds against Dustin, I don't see how the betting lines are this close. We all know Conor gets eaten alive after 10 minutes in this fight, so literally all Dustin has to do is counter him clean like last time, or initiate a clinch, or even another takedown.

If Dustin can manage to do any of those 3 in the first round, the fight is effectively over. Anyway to burn the clock, or make Conor respect the striking range with a counter and step off the gas(which happened in the first 30 seconds last time).

Conor has to fight perfectly and not end up in any kind of compromised position in the grappling exchanges, and even if he fights perfect for 15 minutes, Dustin is more than capable of KO'ing him in the final 10 minutes, I think Conor is going to be even more tentative and unsure of himself this time around, as he was getting outboxed for large portions of that fight, and if he can't get close and land a power shot, he's not going to win.

Dustin even outstruck him in the first fight, it'd be wise to save cash and put some on Dustin. He win's this fight 9/10 times. Conor will go out swinging, but he's doomed. It's too many issues to quell and not enough time to address them. Conor is going to say fuck it and start trading sometime late in the second, and it'll go south pretty quick.

Ask yourself this, when has Conor ever one shot KO'd someone while moving forward and not countering off his back foot? Because that's what it's going to take to finish Dustin, he's too good defensively and understands how to approach Conor. You minimize risk by allowing Conor to lead the dance, and if you stay defensively sound early, Conor will struggle to create offensive opportunities to win the fight. Then you add the counters, the calf kicks, the level changes, it's just too much.

Last edited:
giphy.gif

Stopped reading when you said Conor hasn't finished anybody in five and a half years. He finished Cowboy 2 fights ago.

Oh I thought so little of him finishing Cowboy I entirely forgot, mb.

"Conor hasn't finished ANYBODY in the past 5.5 years"

Uhh...Cerrone? Also Alvarez was Nov. 2016, less than 5 years ago.

But that's beyond the point. Can McGregor finish Porier? I'd like to think so considering he has knocked him out in the 1st round before.

I counted wrong

There’s not a person alive that can’t be knocked out if you hit them with the perfect shot. Stop asking stupid questions.

It's like saying Conor can finish Mayweather in boxing since .. whta you said.

What do you not understand about “perfect shot”? Do you think Dustin has an unbreakable chin or something?

Well what did I say? With your logic Conor can ko Mayweather too with a perfect shot too

Back