Can anyone tell me who might be the best grappler in the world ?

Tie - Roger & Jacare

Roger because ... duh
and Jacare because if he hadnt left for mma i think he would still be in the running for the Open World Champion each year, despite the weight advantage he gives up to Roger

maybe, i think we can be reasonably sure he would have continued to rule meio pesdao, i don't think Braulio, Tarsis or even Romulo would beat him. In terms of the absolute, sure, he'd have a good shot and would definitely be in the semis each year without doubt, but there may have been others who could have derailed his attempts.

maybe, i think we can be reasonably sure he would have continued to rule meio pesdao, i don't think Braulio, Tarsis or even Romulo would beat him. In terms of the absolute, sure, he'd have a good shot and would definitely be in the semis each year without doubt, but there may have been others who could have derailed his attempts.

Thats a good point, but (in my opinion) who would have a better shot at beating Roger right now than Jacare (if he were to have kept training BJJ exclusively)?? I dont believe Xande or Romulo would be better than Jacare.

Roger has taken his bjj to another level.

no one is on that level with him right now.

marcelo, braulio, xande, romolo, jacare, and a few others are on the same level, and can beat each other any given match.

But roger doesn't even get scored on. No one has stopped his guard passes, mount attempts. He taps almost everyone with the same choke.

I don't agree. Olympic wrestling is one of the most intense environments for competition. He dominated international competition for thirteen years against a much wider pool of potential opponents than Roger ever will. And beat them soundly. There is also some debate on the topic but most folks agree that Karelin had at least some sambo experience.

Again, I have to disagree. Without a gi Karelin would throw his opponents like they had never been thrown before. Compare it to a wrestler who has occasionally done submissions with his friend suddenly walking into a BJJ school and fighting a brown belt. That would be the difference in the power of his throws and the BJJ player's ability to defend them. A man who could throw dedicated Greco-Roman Olympians as easily as Karelin could plaster your average BJJ black belt in nogi standing with vicious throws.

In the gi, the fight would be much more competitive and I think that if a good player could jump guard there is a good chance they could secure a gi choke due simply to Karelin's submission inexperience. It's the same reason he would throw them in nogi, because he does something they barely do better than anyone else in the world does. Against roger in gi he would barely know the techniques of Roger, who is also the best in the world at what he does.

I'm not sure if you were using this post to refute my statements or just to contribute to the thread. If it's the latter, I apologize. If it's the former, I just don't think Karelin is the kind of guy you want to compare resumes against.

wrestlers who don't have any sub defense have no chance. Brock use to get tapped by josh tomphson in training when he first started.

and if u watched karelins shoot fight u would see what im talkiing about

Thats a good point, but (in my opinion) who would have a better shot at beating Roger right now than Jacare (if he were to have kept training BJJ exclusively)?? I dont believe Xande or Romulo would be better than Jacare.

Romulo has little chance imo, Xande has always has a good chance but he has had some of the same challenges as roger recently (knee injury, baby, mma matches) and has been harder hit by them.

in any case i didnt mean there are others with a better shot at roger i meant there are others who might have beaten jacare before he made the final.

The question is def. too broad. Are we talking submissions? What ruleset?

Roger is up there.

Rickson was, so was Karelin for sure (though I wouldn't bet my money on him in a sub-only match with guard pulling allowed)

----

As for unknowns. I am sure there are some absolute monsters in Russia, with a Gi on, we have never heard of.

A (German) Ju-Jutsu teacher here is getting a Sambo guy over for a seminar who trains special forces in Russia. His last unit all thanked him because they all made it back from Chechnia.
Not only because of grappling of course, but it shows what wide area of application "grappling" covers.
Unarmed vs knife is still grappling, but very different environment.

Just shows that such a question is too broad to be answered.

Remember folks, grappling = BJJ.

The best grappler in the world must be a BJJ'er.

Only on f12....

wrestlers who don't have any sub defense have no chance. Brock use to get tapped by josh tomphson in training when he first started.

and if u watched karelins shoot fight u would see what im talkiing about

That was a worked match.... :icon_neut

It's either Marcelo Garcia or Roger Gracie. I would go with Roger, simply because of his size, though P4P it could either way.

Roger, Xande, Marcelo and Braulio...i personally think Vinny Magalhaes is better than Assis.

<<<<<<<<< Yea....... this guy right here, he's pretty good..

Without a doubt...The legendary Kimura!!! Even Helio Gracia said that their wasn't a man on the earth that could beat him.

Back