Can any Khabib fan tell me how he’s going to close the distance?

Always fun Looking at threads like this before a big fight. Everyone always seems to think they got it all figured out. I am guilty of it as well. I remember the old GSP and BJ Penn threads before the rematch. The BJ fans seemed to think he was a god on the feet and would piece GSP up badly. Ahh Memories.

Khabib is a master of Combat Sambo;, just like Fedor. He is excellent at closing the distance just to get a take down. Once this fight goes to the floor Conor will be in a lot of trouble unless his grappling and BJJ have improved dramatically since his last fight. We don't know what he's been working since he has been away from the octagon. What we do know that is being on the ground versus Khabib is probably not a good idea. :)

honest question and I want honest answers.

Conor is the best in MMA at timing and distance control. It was on full display in the dismantling of Alvarez. The way he was at just enough distance to goad Eddie into throwing only to get punished and dropped is a good indicator for this match up.

Khabib needs to get Conor to the fence to chain wrestle. He’s not an explosive double leg type wrestler. His grappling is good at chain wrestling and keeping already downed opponents on the ground.

So I’ll ask, how does Khabib plan to close the distance against Conor with out being hurt by counter shots. There’s no way Khabib can avoid being put in danger. His striking is pretty amateurish to use that to close the distance. So how does he do it?

How does Connor plan on getting up and do you really think he can take the suffocating beating of Khabib like Barboza did when we all saw how fast he wanted out under Nate?

Sure he’s got a punchers chance, but what happens once/IF the KO doesn’t come? He’s gonna be on his back getting hammers put on his head

I get that it's a valid question, but...

1) Conor doesn't have one-punch KO power at 155.

2) Regardless of weight class, guys with good chins have survived well into fights with him in the past. Alvarez, Holloway, Diaz. Hell, even Siver ate some shots.

Can Conor one-punch KO Khabib? I'm sure it's possible with the perfect shot, but it's not likely. Khabib will pick his spot to get Conor on the cage and go for it. Conor better not only hope he lands a bomb, but that Khabib's chin cracks, which it has never done before.

So ... not looking great for Conor.

The question shouldn't be about khabib closing the distnce with conor, because he will do this, unless khabib gets knocked out before he shoots, which is less likely.. the more valid question is...... how is conor's gas tank gonna handle the pressure, relentlessness and intensity of khabib's offensive onslaught throughout the fight? I just dont think conor can, unless he improves his stamina by leaps and bounds. If conor doesn't knock out khabib in round 1, oh man....conor will be brutally raped and embarassed by the eagle.... just my 2 cents.

It was on full display in the dismantling of Alvarez. The way he was at just enough distance to goad Eddie into throwing only to get punished and dropped is a good indicator for this match up.

Eddie closed the distance and got a hold of Conor plenty of times. Unlike Eddie though, Khabib does not let up and doesn't give you space if he fails. If Khabib gets inside on Conor (Conor hates fighting on the inside) he will stay there, giving Conor no space until he drags him down. Conor could be dangerous countering when Khabib tries closing distance, but he won't have many opportunities

Is ts daft, or just an ass. In his fights vs nate diaz, quite possibly one of the worst wrestlers/offensive grapplers to ever be considered "elite" at lw, was able to get canner against the cage and clinch multiple times, taking him down multiple times. If diaz, with his putrid wrestling and plodding footwork was able to do that, imagine the field day khabib will have.

Khabib will close the distance when he falls forward, face-first, unconscious.

By eating shots. Like I said before, this fight totally depends on Khabib's chin. McGregor will eventualy land. But Khabib's chin is underrated imo.

If Khabib gets him down early, Conor may not land. Khabib's style will tire Conor out real fast and his striking will be less and less effective the longer the fight goes

Ok? None of Khabibs previous opponents are at the striking level of Conor. Nor do they have the distance control he does. Oh and to add to the fact Khabibs record is padded by cans.

Padded with cans? He's 10-0 in the UFC pal.

Ok? None of Khabibs previous opponents are at the striking level of Conor. Nor do they have the distance control he does. Oh and to add to the fact Khabibs record is padded by cans.

Conor's record is padded by cans too though <{vega}>

honest question and I want honest answers.

Conor is the best in MMA at timing and distance control. It was on full display in the dismantling of Alvarez. The way he was at just enough distance to goad Eddie into throwing only to get punished and dropped is a good indicator for this match up.

Khabib needs to get Conor to the fence to chain wrestle. He’s not an explosive double leg type wrestler. His grappling is good at chain wrestling and keeping already downed opponents on the ground.

So I’ll ask, how does Khabib plan to close the distance against Conor with out being hurt by counter shots. There’s no way Khabib can avoid being put in danger. His striking is pretty amateurish to use that to close the distance. So how does he do it?

I think the bigger question is why do you think an elite grappler won’t be able to close the distance on an striker over 5 rounds? Especially since we’ve already seen it happen with McG vs Mendes? In most striker vs elite grappler matchups, we see at some point the grappler get a hold of the striker, even if the grappler loses the fight. Even if you don’t think Khabib will win the fight, it’s ludicrous to believe a grappler of his caliber will never be able to close the distance and get Conor to the cage.

How does he do it? He can dive in for an ankle pick, which any good wrestler can do from a pretty far distance, and then start the chain. He can do that from a far enough distance to not be in any real danger from counters. He can also do the classic GSP style duck under a punch to a double leg. Conor has great counters but he is a actually a pressure fighter, not a counter puncher like Silva. He will throw plenty of punches at Khabib and KB just needs to time one and duck under it. Conor also likes kicking, it’s a fundamental part of his game. Khabib can grab one of these kicks and take him down. Khabib can also throw a punch himself, closing distance, and then go for a takedown off the punch. There’s many many options.

Diaz closed the distance simply by using a high guard and walking Conor down.

Did you see Khabib shoot like a snake from 5 feet out and snatch up Iaquinta's leg, slide up his body like an acaconda and get him down? And that's against a terrific wrestler in Al.

He can do that from 10 feet out against Conor.

Yeah, and the single leg will be even more available vs. a southpaw.

Last edited:
My head says Khabib wins this fight with pressure. Conor needs room to work, and I can't see Khabib being as cautious as Alvarez.

That said, I was convinced Eddie would smash Conor. No-one runs through Eddie, I told all my casual Conor loving friends he'd lose, that Eddie would drag him into a brawl that Conor couldn't handle, and he made Eddie look like a scared little lamb.

It all depends who can implement their game better on the night.

Something like this... with a million different variations...
VainPoliteBlowfish-max-14mb.gif

Khabib will pretend Conor is a goat and try to fuck him pinned against the fence. Especially since he can't hurt Conor with his fists.

same way he closed the distance on the best striker in the division Edson Barboza.....Conor has half his wrestling so this wont last long....

It all depends how early Khabib goes for the takedown, if he gets it early in the first round, it ends there, or for sure ends by round 2 due to lil connies gas tank being tiny.

If any of you dreamers out there think that Conor can go 5 rounds and win a UD vs Khabib and are being realistic about Conor having some sort of other path to victory besides a flash KO in the first 2 rounds, get of the pipe.

I’ve thought about that myself. Yes, Eddie was able to close on a couple occasions and even put Conor on the fence fairly deep. The difference is, IMO, is that Eddie has power and enough technique in his striking that Conor is forced to react to it differently than he will against Khabib and his lackluster striking. Conor had to respect Eddies hands, regardless of his taunting, enough to close and clinch. I think a lot of people are over looking this. If Khabib gets in half as deep as Eddie did, he’ll secure a takedown. I’m not entirely sure Khabib can get in without eating a left. His entrances are extremely sloppy. Conor will accept Khabibs only offense in exchange for throwing one, maybe two clean shots. Conor is more than capable at landing while being heavily pressured. He was willing to eat a solid shot from Aldo in order to land his money shot. If Conor connects, it’s going to hurt if not sleep Khabib.

I imagine we’ll see multiple swing single attempts from Khabib just to initiate scrambles and get his hands on Conor. They’re safe, low and out of Conor’s range. Many will fail but all Khabib needs is one, if it’s early enough. One takedown will force an output of work from Conor that greatly diminish his power. Round 1 is going to be very instrumental for both fighters.

Back