Can any Khabib fan tell me how he’s going to close the distance?

Lmao, Okie Dokie, what you just said has nothing to do with shit. Try and let the people that don't spew bullshit talk.
Funny you said that so sarcastically while making it out like more power means nothing. You couldn't be more wrong about that. It changes everything. If Conor doesn't have to worry about getting KO'ed on the feet then he can take more chances.

Now I'm not saying that Khabib's lack of KO power will result in him not being able to close distance eventually. I hope Khabib survives long enough that he will get a chance to test Mac's TDD... but it's not going to be this "shoot & scoop' that the Conor resistance seems to think it's going to be.

If Khabib gets reckless, he goes to sleep. I get that it may or may not be that simple... but it's hard to just ignore the Aldo fight. or the Portier fight... or the Alvarez fight... or the Mendez fight. The list goes on. Fact is that Khabib has to be very concerned & careful that he doesn't end up on this list. He will have to go in there timid at first, just like he alwayz does & get his opponents timing down. It is during this phaze that he gets slept imo. If he makes it out of that feeling out period.... then all good. I hope he does actually because I would like to see Conor shake off a couple of TD's or even get taken down & show that it wasn't the end of the world for him like the resistance seemz to think.

Ideally some nice back n forth moments would be the best thing ever to happen that might make at least some of the more reasonable members of the resistance see the light. If Khabib gets reckless & rushes in & Conor just Aldo's his ass then everyone will say he never got tested or whatever kind of things they say to try & take away the Aldo win. I want to see them mix it up & both have the advantage at some point.

I'd also like to see a later round KO for Mac. People act like he hasn't worked on his cardio when there's a very clear evolution right there on screen to be seen. I'd like to see that tested & him come out fresh as ever in later rounds.

@Soul On Ice

Last edited:
It’ll go the distance if Conor can’t put him away.

Khabib is not a finisher and if he wins, he wins by wall and stall, throwing pillowfists from the top.

If Conor wins, he wins in spectacular fashion.

What is your obsession with distance control?

I don't think you understand Conor's "distance control" very well. His distance control is only effective in the striking range, in a striking battle.

His distance control against a wrestler the caliber of Khabib, while going backwards, in a small closed off cage is not going to work. What you're thinking of is considered more of "evasion" than "distance control."

A wrestler like Khabib can duck under the punches, or go for a low ankle if needed.

This is what I see:

Khabib can pressure forward, causing Conor to back in the cage. Once he has the pressure, he can cut off the cage and put Conor in a closer distance to easily land a takedown, grab a leg, or work into a clinch.

If Conor is backing up the entire time, he'll be slower than Khabib who will have an easier time closing distance as he is moving forward, not backwards. Shorter distances means he can shoot in faster, and if needed, shoot in lower on the body to avoid punches. Much better than if he was shooting from way out. Khabib can also get low to avoid punches, forcing Conor to punch down. Also use head movement.

If Conor refuses to back up, and chooses to stay in striking distance, a simple level change is all that Khabib needs to get under and power through with Conor remaining stationary.

I honestly don't see how you Conor fans think he'll avoid the takedowns for the entire fight. Conor isn't a strong wrestler. Diaz was able to get him down...

I guess you can believe in your delusions, but Khabib will take Conor down and all he needs is 1 per round, if Conor can last past the first round.
you talk about delusions,
yet in the same sentence describing future events as if they already happened....
<Prem973>

honest question and I want honest answers.

Conor is the best in MMA at timing and distance control. It was on full display in the dismantling of Alvarez. The way he was at just enough distance to goad Eddie into throwing only to get punished and dropped is a good indicator for this match up.

Khabib needs to get Conor to the fence to chain wrestle. He’s not an explosive double leg type wrestler. His grappling is good at chain wrestling and keeping already downed opponents on the ground.

So I’ll ask, how does Khabib plan to close the distance against Conor with out being hurt by counter shots. There’s no way Khabib can avoid being put in danger. His striking is pretty amateurish to use that to close the distance. So how does he do it?

I think Khabib's chin will hold up enough for a takedown. Conor needs to knock him out in the first exchange forget the first round. That's because if the left doesn't do the job early then Khabib is close enough already to ragdoll him. It has to be in the first exchange.

Fake jab and go for the ankle, like how he did it versus Iaquinta, or Cain vs JDS 2, lot of hand fighting and level changes, corner him to the cage and throw a flying knee and level change... Khabib has been doing this shit his whole life. He will get tagged coming in, but I don't Conor putting him away. Eddie Alvarez is chinny as fuck, so its clouding alot of peoples judgments.

Michael Johnson hits harder than Mcgregor and is faster than him as well, but couldn't take him out. Conor should be training knees, counters on the back foot and uppercuts, thats the only way to stop Khabib.

So I'm gonna say first that I'm not even a "fan" of McGregor. I like watching the dude fight cuz he's exciting but I don't care much past that about the guy. I'm really pumped for this fight because both parties are awesome.

But why do people keep going to the well with this Shalarus gif garbage? That dude is 9-5-2 and that fight was very clearly from a long while ago, pre rebook days judging by the shorts and sponsors.

If people can't figure out the difference between doing that to a fighter like McGregor and a fighter like Shalarus many moons ago, well I don't know what to tell you.

I'd say your over investment in either hating or loving McGregor or Khabib too much is gonna make you miss the enjoyment of all this. There's a true possibility of Khabib doing his thang or McGregor doing his.

It's exciting beyond showing gifs from 6 and a half years ago as some sort of proof of anything.
The point of the GIF was to answer OP's question...

Which was how Khabib can/will shoot on McGregor...

Just because they're different people doesn't make a difference...

The point, which still remains, is that Khabib has an unlimited arsenal of ways in which to shoot on an individual. Shalarus is a wrestler and Khabib still had no trouble taking him down.

Conor is the best in MMA at timing and distance control. It was on full display in the dismantling of Alvarez. The way he was at just enough distance to goad Eddie into throwing only to get punished and dropped is a good indicator for this match up.

Khabib needs to get Conor to the fence to chain wrestle. He’s not an explosive double leg type wrestler. His grappling is good at chain wrestling and keeping already downed opponents on the ground.

So I’ll ask, how does Khabib plan to close the distance against Conor with out being hurt by counter shots. There’s no way Khabib can avoid being put in danger. His striking is pretty amateurish to use that to close the distance. So how does he do it?

That's a stupid question, seeing that Khabib closed the distance in virtually every single fight he's been at.
Watch those fights, it might give you the answer.

This is 155, Conor has good power but not ungodly. Khabib will be able to take some punishment of needed to close the distance.
I’m hoping for Khabib to win but I wouldn’t be surprised either way. I just hope it’s a great fight.

If you would have watched all of Conor's fights, you wouldn't ask this question. Conor has never knocked down anybody when the opponents tried to take him down. He only knocked people down when they tied to box with him. Khabib will not try to box with him... So, here is your answer..

The point of the GIF was to answer OP's question...

Which was how Khabib can/will shoot on McGregor...

Just because they're different people doesn't make a difference...

The point, which still remains, is that Khabib has an unlimited arsenal of ways in which to shoot on an individual. Shalarus is a wrestler and Khabib still had no trouble taking him down.

I understood why you posted the gif asshole.

And your point is still that you're impressed by him whooping a wrestler who was not very good at mma 6 and a half years ago. He got taken down by a lot of people.

People keep showing these same garbage ass gifs in other threads. I understand he's a badass who mauls peeps. I get that. He comes in with his head up like a giraffe when he's wading past the hands of fighters to get in.

It still doesn't change the fact that you thought an addition to this discussion was showing a gif of him ducking a wrestler's punch to get there. McGregor is on a different planet than that dude in terms of counters.

I still feel Khabib works his ass on the mat if/when it gets there, but showing gifs of that match is comparing apples and oranges. But I see your douche bag responses to many others on here so I'm not surprised you responded like an asshole.

I understood why you posted the gif asshole.

And your point is still that you're impressed by him whooping a wrestler who was not very good at mma 6 and a half years ago. He got taken down by a lot of people.

People keep showing these same garbage ass gifs in other threads. I understand he's a badass who mauls peeps. I get that. He comes in with his head up like a giraffe when he's wading past the hands of fighters to get in.

It still doesn't change the fact that you thought an addition to this discussion was showing a gif of him ducking a wrestler's punch to get there. McGregor is on a different planet than that dude in terms of counters.

I still feel Khabib prolly works his ass in the mat, but showing gifs of that match is comparing apples and oranges. But I see your douche bag responses to many others on here so I'm not surprised you responded like an asshole.
source.gif

Totally impossible to think that Khabib would manage to get a takedown in this fight. Might as well just declare Connor the winner and give him the belt.
Glad to see you can’t read. Thanks

This is something these rejects don't understand. Khabib's entries look like absolute dog shit. Conor is going to make this man pay.

funny to see people are questioning Khabibs ability to take someone down.
they are talking about things like ''He’s not an explosive double leg type wrestler''
yes, they are right he is not but he doesnt need this, he was always able to take his opponents down and Conor is not different.

lets not act like only a good double leg type of wrestler is only able to take Conor down.
No you asshole. That’s not the argument. It’s about closing the distance. As i stated in op Khabibs grappling strength is in his chain wrestling from the fence and keeping guys down on the ground.

His lack of explosive double leg shows a problem in how he will close the distance on a counter striker who can and will land on him with serious shots. This can’t be dismissed out of hand. Khabibs striking is piss poor. Conor WILL exploit this.

Does Khabib have a Diaz zombie like chin where he can walk thru Conor’s shots to get a hold on him? Idk but that’s really all I see him being able to do.

Ok? None of Khabibs previous opponents are at the striking level of Conor. Nor do they have the distance control he does. Oh and to add to the fact Khabibs record is padded by cans.
Stop saying 'distance control'...it sounds retarded. Yes, Conor has long reach and has never fought wrestlers his entire career (except for 10 days notice mendes)...stop talking about him like hes a fucking wizard. Khabib will close the distance the same way everyone in the history of fighting has closed the distance, good old legs and feet and walking.

No you asshole. That’s not the argument. It’s about closing the distance. As i stated in op Khabibs grappling strength is in his chain wrestling from the fence and keeping guys down on the ground.

His lack of explosive double leg shows a problem in how he will close the distance on a counter striker who can and will land on him with serious shots. This can’t be dismissed out of hand. Khabibs striking is piss poor. Conor WILL exploit this.

Does Khabib have a Diaz zombie like chin where he can walk thru Conor’s shots to get a hold on him? Idk but that’s really all I see him being able to do.
You're right. One thing you forgot to mention - no matter how good Conor's timing and precision are, he can still miss a clean shot when Khabib tries to close the distance.

Mendes-takedown-McGregor-1.gif

5'6 height 66" reach Mini-Mendes did just fine.

Back