1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

Can any Khabib fan tell me how he’s going to close the distance?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by The Young Wolf, Aug 5, 2018.

1. The Young Wolf

The Young Wolf Purple Belt

honest question and I want honest answers.

Conor is the best in MMA at timing and distance control. It was on full display in the dismantling of Alvarez. The way he was at just enough distance to goad Eddie into throwing only to get punished and dropped is a good indicator for this match up.

Khabib needs to get Conor to the fence to chain wrestle. He’s not an explosive double leg type wrestler. His grappling is good at chain wrestling and keeping already downed opponents on the ground.

So I’ll ask, how does Khabib plan to close the distance against Conor with out being hurt by counter shots. There’s no way Khabib can avoid being put in danger. His striking is pretty amateurish to use that to close the distance. So how does he do it?

2. DarkneT

DarkneT Zabit’s number 1 fan Platinum Member

By being Russian and not giving a fuck?

3. Slatersan

Slatersan Purple Belt

4. Gilday

Gilday Silver Belt

Eddie Alvarez closed the distance and had McGregor up against the cage

If Alvarez can do it, Khabib can

5. Jim Gilmore

Jim Gilmore Green Belt

My prediction is no matter what happens, everyone will act like they knew it all along.

clivers, storeybuckle, tonni and 71 others like this.
  6. Poirierfan

Poirierfan Cajun MMA

Just watch any of Khabib's 20 something fights, It's not gonna be that hard.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
  7. j18lee

j18lee Brown Belt

I'd have to rewatch, but my guess is that Khabib will close the distance similar to what Mendes did in taking McGregor down 3 times in one round.

Khabib is bigger and better than Mendes at wrestling and GnP so it looks grim for McGregor, but I am definitely cheering for McGregor to buzz Khabib early like the Alvarez fight.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
  8. Kobra420

Kobra420 Sweep The Leg.

Indeed.....

Joohnmatrix and DarkneT like this.
  9. Ares Black

Ares Black Asteroid Belt

Have you ever watched an MMA fight TS?

10. chaos_36

chaos_36 DOOM all capitals no trick spelling.

Good question. The entire fight will be decided on this one fact. If Khabib's reckless he probably gets slept, if he's successful he'll stop Conor. To answer your question TS, I'd assume he'd approach the TD fairly cautiously because any opening will potentially cost him the fight.

11. Breaking

Breaking One shall stand, and one shall fall.

12. Beylerbey

Beylerbey White Belt

Conor's fans seem to think his boxing is so good that he'll hit Khabib at will and that any clean shot he hits will be an instant KO. Of course this is nonsense that has been perpetuated since the Aldo fight, a one-off event that has made some people think Conor has Earnie Shavers' power in his hands. Eddie was hit repeatedly but survived the first round, even Siver did, not to speak of Diaz. We don't know exactly how strong Khabib's chin is but he's never even been rocked (unless you believe Rogan). So I am convinced of the fact that Khabib will at least survive Conor's initial barrage. It's up to you to decide if Conor can go the first round without being taken down by Khabib. In my reckoning, he will get taken down after quite a struggle, Khabib will pummel him a bit, tire him out (Conor's cardio is and has always been mediocre) and then either end him in a later round or coast to a comfortable decision like he did against Barboza or Iaquinta.

I haven't even mentioned the fact that by October 6th, Conor will not have fought in the UFC for damn near 2 years. Also, I haven't mentioned that Khabib is quite a bit bigger than some of Conor's most notable opponents (Aldo, Alvarez, Mendes), and we all know Conor loves pummelling smaller guys. Look at his performances against Diaz or even Holloway (took him to a decision as a 23-year old rookie), he struggles with guys bigger than him. Khabib is a big LW. Good luck Conor.

13. Soul On Ice

Soul On Ice Gold Belt

I disagree
    Alvarez has far better striking fundamentals and is a much bigger threat to land a bomb, that's why he was able to do it.

14. private user

private user Necktie Aficionado

Well, if he cant, hes done. That piston left will leave him unconscious if he cant get a hold of McGregor

runnpray and OneToeKO like this.
  15. The Young Wolf

Have you?

16. The Young Wolf

Ok? None of Khabibs previous opponents are at the striking level of Conor. Nor do they have the distance control he does. Oh and to add to the fact Khabibs record is padded by cans.

Robert Baratheon and Omega Man like this.
  17. Ares Black

Ares Black Asteroid Belt

Thousands. Been watching MMA since before it was called MMA.

You talk like closing the distance is hard. It isn't.

18. Kael Rills

Kael Rills Orange Belt

By eating shots. Like I said before, this fight totally depends on Khabib's chin. McGregor will eventualy land. But Khabib's chin is underrated imo.

19. Poirierfan

Poirierfan Cajun MMA

My thoughts exactly.

myjohnson9 likes this.
  20. Fedor_Silva

Fedor_Silva Chicken hunter / mdfc fat champ

Khabib will not look for a comfortable decision, he Will try to expose MCG. I expect at maximum a 3rd round fight. Khabib will hurt Connie badly

21. Cat Biscuits

Cat Biscuits Brown Belt

What is your obsession with distance control?

I don't think you understand Conor's "distance control" very well. His distance control is only effective in the striking range, in a striking battle.

His distance control against a wrestler the caliber of Khabib, while going backwards, in a small closed off cage is not going to work. What you're thinking of is considered more of "evasion" than "distance control."

A wrestler like Khabib can duck under the punches, or go for a low ankle if needed.

This is what I see:

Khabib can pressure forward, causing Conor to back in the cage. Once he has the pressure, he can cut off the cage and put Conor in a closer distance to easily land a takedown, grab a leg, or work into a clinch.

If Conor is backing up the entire time, he'll be slower than Khabib who will have an easier time closing distance as he is moving forward, not backwards. Shorter distances means he can shoot in faster, and if needed, shoot in lower on the body to avoid punches. Much better than if he was shooting from way out. Khabib can also get low to avoid punches, forcing Conor to punch down. Also use head movement.

If Conor refuses to back up, and chooses to stay in striking distance, a simple level change is all that Khabib needs to get under and power through with Conor remaining stationary.

I honestly don't see how you Conor fans think he'll avoid the takedowns for the entire fight. Conor isn't a strong wrestler. Diaz was able to get him down...

I guess you can believe in your delusions, but Khabib will take Conor down and all he needs is 1 per round, if Conor can last past the first round.

22. Cat Biscuits

Cat Biscuits Brown Belt

I don't think you understand Conor's "distance control" very well. His distance control is only effective in the striking range, in a striking battle.

His distance control against a wrestler the caliber of Khabib, while going backwards, in a small closed off cage is not going to work. What you're thinking of is considered more of "evasion" than "distance control."

A wrestler like Khabib can duck under the punches, or go for a low ankle if needed.

This is what I see:

Khabib can pressure forward, causing Conor to back in the cage. Once he has the pressure, he can cut off the cage and put Conor in a closer distance to easily land a takedown, grab a leg, or work into a clinch.

If Conor is backing up the entire time, he'll be slower than Khabib who will have an easier time closing distance as he is moving forward, not backwards. Shorter distances means he can shoot in faster, and if needed, shoot in lower on the body to avoid punches. Much better than if he was shooting from way out. Khabib can also get low to avoid punches, forcing Conor to punch down. Also use head movement.

If Conor refuses to back up, and chooses to stay in striking distance, a simple level change is all that Khabib needs to get under and power through with Conor remaining stationary. He might eat a shot to get in, but he only needs the takedown to win the round and likely the fight.

I honestly don't see how you Conor fans think he'll avoid the takedowns for the entire fight. Conor isn't a strong wrestler. Diaz was able to get him down...

I guess you can believe in your delusional thoughts, but Khabib will take Conor down and all he needs is 1 per round, if Conor can last past the first round.

23. Cat Biscuits

Cat Biscuits Brown Belt

This is what I see:

If Conor refuses to back up, and chooses to stay in striking distance, a simple level change is all that Khabib needs to get under and power through with Conor remaining stationary. He might eat a shot to get in, but he only needs the takedown to win the round and likely the fight.

I guess you can believe in your delusional thoughts, but Khabib will take Conor down and all he needs is 1 per round, if Conor can last past the first round.

24. Timurd123

Timurd123 Andy Hug Belt

Mendes did easily

Khabib will have a high guard, and will get close enough to shoot, unless Connor is running around the ring and pot shotting, if he stands in front of Khabib or gets his back against the fence he will be taken down and pounded out, if he makes it out of the first his chances at a KO drop by 80% at least