Calzaghe vs Hopkins trouble at the gate, and other qu's

thesharktank

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Is anybody else suprised that Calzghe Hopkins is (reportedly) having such a hard time selling out, and the promoters are looking to lose upwards of 5 mil. I know Calzaghe isn't the biggest star in the states but I thought he still had some pretty decent noteriety and thought there would definetly be excitement in vegas to see him fight seeing as its his first bout in the USA.

who is going to get come out second for this fight? just wondering, Id guess hopkins but im not sure.

Surprised? No.

I saved myself.... well, a lot, by passing on the bulk of tickets I was offered including suite boxes. I mentioned a few days ago that if anyone is coming out here for the fight, I can get you in for rediculous prices. Well below face value for great tickets... can even handle a 20 person suite box.

Surprised? No.

I saved myself.... well, a lot, by passing on the bulk of tickets I was offered including suite boxes. I mentioned a few days ago that if anyone is coming out here for the fight, I can get you in for rediculous prices. Well below face value for great tickets... can even handle a 20 person suite box.

you should find some UK fans and get them to give you pounds...

calzaghe is not ricky hatton(cal is still bringing over a boat load), and hopkins is well hopkins.... not exactly a mega star. tickets are expensive(they always are), but fans will pay for the right fight. holding fights in vegas has become a drag, sure everybody makes money, but the appeal and the atmosphere is not there. this fight would get 60,000 in wales, in vegas i don't think they will fight to more than ten thousand.

250 dollar minimum ticket price. Rocky Marciano and Jack Dempsey could travel through time to face off in an epic battle and it would still struggle to sell out with those types of prices.

250 dollar minimum ticket price. Rocky Marciano and Jack Dempsey could travel through time to face off in an epic battle and it would still struggle to sell out with those types of prices.

what were the prices for jones-tito?

Well I heard both B-Hop and Joe will make 3 million each and rumour has it HBO is paying alot of that because they didnt want to put this fight on PPV.

Not true. And not true.

$350 is the face on the balconies, I'm looking at some of the tix now.

what were the prices for jones-tito?

Can't compare Vegas prices to NYC prices for fights. Apples to oranges.

'brez, you going to the fight? i have seen bernard fight twice; winky and ODLH. i am excited to see 'zag live...the undercard starts at 14:00, dont know what to make of that unless the main is scheduled to go off around 17:00?

The promoters didn't do their research. As the low ratings for Zag/Kessler proved, Calzaghe is unknown in America. Hopkins doesn't have the starpower of Floyd or RJJ, so it comes down to attracting the blue collar UK fan, who can't afford the pricy seats the promoters wanted.

That's my take.

who is going to get come out second for this fight? just wondering, Id guess hopkins but im not sure.

You guessed right. The champion always gets to enter the ring after the challenger, and be announced second as well. The fight is for Hopkins' LHW title, so it will be the first time Calzaghe has been in this position for quite some time.

At those prices I don't think Chung Lee would sell out either.

B.H. : 'I Would Never Let a White Boy Beat Me'

J.C. :

I think people saw how big a draw Hatton was, saw that Calzaghe appeared to have a similar personality, was the "other" popular UK fighter at the time and thought he could get the same numbers.

It wasn't to be.

They forgot that the Calzaghe/Kessler fight was meant to draw 60,000+ people, and barely made 50k in Calzaghe's backyard. They forgot the poor ratings the match got in the US, and they also forgot that Calzaghe is far from a ratings winner for domestic tv.

Calzaghe used briefly had the equivalent of a network contract, where he'd fight on one of the big 4 tv channels at prime-time with a huge amount of advertising. Then he fought Manfredo, who despite his lack of comparable talent was somewhat of a draw due to the Contender.

The ratings bombed, and Calzaghe is now fighting on a subscription channel (and not even one of the "big" ones, but one you have to pay an additional fee to get). He just doesn't inspire the way that Hatton does.

I still have no idea how he won BBC SPotY... I could have sworn Hamilton would get it on the basis of following the great british tradition of nearly winning before falling apart when it matters.

Despite that, he's still apparently bringing 8000 fans over.

'brez, you going to the fight? i have seen bernard fight twice; winky and ODLH. i am excited to see 'zag live...the undercard starts at 14:00, dont know what to make of that unless the main is scheduled to go off around 17:00?

The card goes off earlier than normal to be more hospitable to UK fans live.

Calzaghe's after-party is tomorrow night at JET Nightclub.

Even though Calzaghe has had major success he has never had the public backing of say Nigel Benn,Frank Bruno or Ricky Hatton.Millions used to tune in to watch Chris Eubank (hoping to see him lose) I think a lot of it is down to satellite tv and the loss of boxing on terrestrial tv,in the old days viewers could watch potential champions for free and watch their careers grow but nowadays they are on subscription channels which are only subscribed to by sports fans and not the casual viewer.

Back