Calzaghe vs Hopkins trouble at the gate, and other qu's

Anyone know what time the fight is scheduled to start?

Not true. And not true.

$350 is the face on the balconies, I'm looking at some of the tix now.

Can't compare Vegas prices to NYC prices for fights. Apples to oranges.

I paid 45 dollars to watch Kirk Johnson beat a bum, Wlad beat Jameel McCline, and Floyd beat Castillo in their rematch at the mandalay. I would never pay more than 100 dollars to see a bout live because I can see more for 59.95 on tv anyways. I think a lot of people share my way of thinking there.

I think people saw how big a draw Hatton was, saw that Calzaghe appeared to have a similar personality, was the "other" popular UK fighter at the time and thought he could get the same numbers.

It wasn't to be.

They forgot that the Calzaghe/Kessler fight was meant to draw 60,000+ people, and barely made 50k in Calzaghe's backyard. They forgot the poor ratings the match got in the US, and they also forgot that Calzaghe is far from a ratings winner for domestic tv.

Calzaghe used briefly had the equivalent of a network contract, where he'd fight on one of the big 4 tv channels at prime-time with a huge amount of advertising. Then he fought Manfredo, who despite his lack of comparable talent was somewhat of a draw due to the Contender.

The ratings bombed, and Calzaghe is now fighting on a subscription channel (and not even one of the "big" ones, but one you have to pay an additional fee to get). He just doesn't inspire the way that Hatton does.

I still have no idea how he won BBC SPotY... I could have sworn Hamilton would get it on the basis of following the great british tradition of nearly winning before falling apart when it matters.

Despite that, he's still apparently bringing 8000 fans over.

The 24 series works wondors.. Hatton vs. Mayweather probably got a 25% boost from that program.

I paid 45 dollars to watch Kirk Johnson beat a bum, Wlad beat Jameel McCline, and Floyd beat Castillo in their rematch at the mandalay. I would never pay more than 100 dollars to see a bout live because I can see more for 59.95 on tv anyways. I think a lot of people share my way of thinking there.

Well I would never trust a shady scalper selling me a shitty corner for a fight. That's me.

That wasnt a scalper.. that was the listed price

this fight is mostly for hardcore boxing fans who want to see two top fighters go at it in an intriguing clash of styles. it's not a guaranteed action fight, plus the lesser known Calzaghe and Hopkins' usual low-draw power hurt the sales even more.

i've always preferred fights at MSG. Vegas is overrated imo

I prefer fights anywhere they build a ring.

Not surprised at all. I have paid $700 for UFC tickets, and would be willing to spend $500 for a good boxing fight/card, but I would never pay a dime to watch Hopkins fight. Hopkins could fight Gatti and it would be boring and suck. Hopkins is just terrible and everyone should boycott all of his clinch fests to show their displeasure. watching bernard hopkins fights can only be compared to contracting aids

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ljae89
Back