Cain Velasquez's wrestling will be his downfall against JDS.

I cant devise a gameplan that works for Cain because of his shitty defense.

JDS was moving and countering. Cain could land a little but he couldn't close the distance. Imposing will is not a technique I am familiar with. Cain can't just rush JDS. Jr is very comfortable counterpunching while moving backward.

Exactly. And if you look at analysis of JDS striking, he's very comfortable moving in and out to set traps for his opponents as they chase him.

JDS is like Chuck on the ground.

Or the other way around.

Because JDS footwork is so great he will have to set his takedown up with strikes and movement, and not bombrush him with a TD.

JDS is great. but cain is going to destroy him. and after that Reem will destroy cain and become (rightfully so) the true HW champion of the world and P4P the greatest fighter ever to bless us with his presence in teh octogon.

You should be made to take a mandatory breathalyzer test before posting on Sherdog.

Good analysis. I know I will get flamed for this but I always thought Brock was a bad matchup for JDS. Clealry on the feet it would be a joke, but Brock had the speed and power to shoot on JDS from distance. Don't think Brock would try to stand with JDS something Cain and his trainers will probably insist.

Btw I still realise JDS would 90% of the time beat brock. Just would like to see someone shoot on JDS to see his sprawl.

I was just listening to a MMA podcast (3 pro fighters, 2 Asian ADCC Champions) and they were analyzing the JDS vs Cain fight, and I thought they brought up some really good points. They all basically agreed that JDS was going to win. The reasoning being...

that Cain, while he has great wrestling credentials and great MMA wrestling had the wrong style of wrestling for JDS. That basically Cain is the type of MMA wrestler that needs to close the distance with punches or kicks before he shoots for the takedown.(most likely because of his stature and lack of reach) And isn't the type of fighter that shoots from long range and gets a guy down.

They explained that this kind of wrestling is all wrong for a guy like JDS who has great footwork, can get in and out, and can punch from range with serious power. (not to mention great hips)

Also I noticed this is true for Cain against a lot of guys he fought. Even against Ben Rothwell who is not a very mobile HW, Cain would also punch to get into the range he needed for a takedown. And he was getting hit constantly by Ben in the process. Of course same thing happened to him against Kongo which is why he got clipped so many times. Even against Brock he employed the same strategy.

In another words JDS by KO eventually.
Agreed 100%, TS. If he didn't change his striking tendencies, the outcome will be the same.

Don't most wrestlers close the distance with kicks and punches to set up the TD in the first place?

In general yes and it always help but some guys like Chael and GSP are able to simply shoot from nowhere and power through their opponents.

Generally, when correcting someone, it would help if they were wrong, and you were right. Just saying.

That was one of the worst fails I have seen in a while. That guy should probably delete his account and start over.

I agree with that analysis.

Frank Mir had a great one.

"I think the way to beat Dos Santos is to close off the cage, to put him against there and put him down on the ground. Lets test his abilities in other areas. He

i never really thought about the way he sets up his wrestling but that's a good point. you will get heat for this thread though off the mass of cain fans that seem to have ascended on sherdog recently.

i was just listening to a mma podcast (3 pro fighters, 2 asian adcc champions) and they were analyzing the jds vs cain fight, and i thought they brought up some really good points. They all basically agreed that jds was going to win. The reasoning being...

That cain, while he has great wrestling credentials and great mma wrestling had the wrong style of wrestling for jds. That basically cain is the type of mma wrestler that needs to close the distance with punches or kicks before he shoots for the takedown.(most likely because of his stature and lack of reach) and isn't the type of fighter that shoots from long range and gets a guy down.

They explained that this kind of wrestling is all wrong for a guy like jds who has great footwork, can get in and out, and can punch from range with serious power. (not to mention great hips)

also i noticed this is true for cain against a lot of guys he fought. Even against ben rothwell who is not a very mobile hw, cain would also punch to get into the range he needed for a takedown. And he was getting hit constantly by ben in the process. Of course same thing happened to him against kongo which is why he got clipped so many times. Even against brock he employed the same strategy.

In another words jds by ko eventually.

good call bro

Cain for the fucking win! Yeah boy!

This is the time when these threads and post look very funny.

Back