Cain Velasquez's wrestling will be his downfall against JDS.

Hufusopem

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I was just listening to a MMA podcast (3 pro fighters, 2 Asian ADCC Champions) and they were analyzing the JDS vs Cain fight, and I thought they brought up some really good points. They all basically agreed that JDS was going to win. The reasoning being...

that Cain, while he has great wrestling credentials and great MMA wrestling had the wrong style of wrestling for JDS. That basically Cain is the type of MMA wrestler that needs to close the distance with punches or kicks before he shoots for the takedown.(most likely because of his stature and lack of reach) And isn't the type of fighter that shoots from long range and gets a guy down.

They explained that this kind of wrestling is all wrong for a guy like JDS who has great footwork, can get in and out, and can punch from range with serious power. (not to mention great hips)

Also I noticed this is true for Cain against a lot of guys he fought. Even against Ben Rothwell who is not a very mobile HW, Cain would also punch to get into the range he needed for a takedown. And he was getting hit constantly by Ben in the process. Of course same thing happened to him against Kongo which is why he got clipped so many times. Even against Brock he employed the same strategy.

In another words JDS by KO eventually.

I agree with that analysis.

Frank Mir had a great one.

"I think the way to beat Dos Santos is to close off the cage, to put him against there and put him down on the ground. Lets test his abilities in other areas. He

JDS is great. but cain is going to destroy him. and after that Reem will destroy cain and become (rightfully so) the true HW champion of the world and P4P the greatest fighter ever to bless us with his presence in teh octogon.

I agree with that analysis.

Frank Mir had a great one.

"I think the way to beat Dos Santos is to close off the cage, to put him against there and put him down on the ground. Lets test his abilities in other areas. He

JDS is great. but cain is going to destroy him. and after that Reem will destroy cain and become (rightfully so) the true HW champion of the world and P4P the greatest fighter ever to bless us with his presence in teh octogon.

a proven steroid abuser is "rightfully so"?

Agreed with OP and the dude posting the Mir analysis. Good find TS

tumblr_m8om6hKD4Y1rwcc6bo1_500.gif

No one cares about AO right now. The fight at hand is JDS v Velasquez.

Man, go away. At least Supercharged is funny sometimes, you're just an idiot.

Terrible analysis.
Never listened to them, but they likely don't know much about wrestling, because that statement is absolutely retarded.

That basically Cain is the type of MMA wrestler that needs to close the distance with punches or kicks before he shoots for the takedown.(most likely because of his stature and lack of reach) And isn't the type of fighter that shoots from long range and gets a guy down.

Really good breakdown. The closer the fight comes the more confident I get that JDS will win. I

JDS beats Cain again and then KO's Overreem. Then Cain KO's Reem and you cry.

Terrible analysis.
Never listened to them, but they likely don't know much about wrestling, because that statement is absolutely retarded.

Ok, then tell us when Cain has successfully shot in from long distance for the TD. My memory isn't good enough to remember one way or another, but just saying 'nuh-uh' isn't very convincing.

Cain's defense is what's going to lose the fight for him.

Cigano's power is also too strong for Cain's chin.

I see Cain getting a take down in the first. I think what will decide this fight is how JDS reacts to that... If he shakes it off and gets his rhythm back he will win by KO no doubt.

Back