Cain Velasquez vs. Jon Jones tale of the tape

I have no qualms if people think Jones would get beat at HW or that he would not be a top 10 HW.

I do think that JDS is a top division HW fighter but I do think a few LHW's can beat JDS.

The issue I have is JDS's fight IQ and it took it a hit when he had some adversity. He also relies on his boxing a little to much in fight which has me a bit concerned and something that Cain exploited.

I do think JDS would be a top division LHW and I think he is a very talented fighter but he needs to work on his entire game. I think JDS is as talented as Jones but he has a habit of relying on one skill which can be rendered ineffective with the right game plan and I think is an issue and was his downfall.

He also has to learn how to adjust in fight, it wasnt Cains cardio that beat JDS, it was the inability to make adjustments just because Cain had the threat of a takedown.

Well I think Jones would be among the top heavyweights. I agree that Dos Santos is just as talented as Jones, but talent isn't always enough. Dos Santos will have to make some improvements.

tale of the tape

height/ reach

Jones by a lot

weight

cain 240lbs

jones 230 with less body fat. and not even bulking up

Cardio

even. might be jones but cant give him the nod

striking

easily jones. he hasnt just landed bombs but has picked apart the best LHW strikers over and over. rampage, rashad, shogun, machida all got outclassed.

wrestling

cain. the question is how big or small the advantage is. jones is almost the same size cain and has the best wrestling at LHW. completely shut down bader and rashad

BJJ

easily bones. subbing machida, bader, and rampage is legit. theres no doubt bones has dangerous subs

this fight would boil down to cains strength, wrestling, and cardio. personally i think jones is a terrible match up for him. jones has the tools to neutralize cains strengths and also cause him problems in other areas

i think both JDS and overeem are tougher matchups for jones even though i think cain beats those guys (i bet on cain over jds)
I agree with most of your points, as seen by my two posts earlier in this thread.

Cain would be more solid and naturally bigger than Jones, I doubt Jones would have the KO power to knock Cain out so Cain would win easily imo but it would be awesome to see

I don't agree that Cain will be naturally bigger, but the key in that fight is that Jones doesn't pack huge power in his punches like other HW. So Cain would just have to pressure Jones for 5 rounds and beat him up.
We don't see that at LHW because JBJ usually is the stronger man, and no one wants to risk to be on his back. I'm not saying it would be easy, but I don't think JBJ cardio is in the same level as Cain's, and he would not have a huge strenght advantage as he does in LHW.

Judging by Jones' calves, there is no way he can gain 10 to 15 pounds of muscle and be in as good as shape that he is in at 205 in 6 months TS. Some can put on muscle really really easily, and it would take them about a year to a year and a half to add 15 pounds of muscle.

No way Jones has as good as genes for building muscle as those people either.

EDIT: Mesomorph is the word I was looking for.

Also, in my opinion, Jones would do just fine as is. I think Cain would win either way, but he would put on a hell of a fight. I really would like to see this fight.
Look at the size of jones brothers huge and athletic I feel jones probably only lifts high reps lower weight an order to not put on to much mass I feel his body would respond well to a mass building diet and weight training regimen anyone agree

I don't agree that Cain will be naturally bigger, but the key in that fight is that Jones doesn't pack huge power in his punches like other HW. So Cain would just have to pressure Jones for 5 rounds and beat him up.
We don't see that at LHW because JBJ usually is the stronger man, and no one wants to risk to be on his back. I'm not saying it would be easy, but I don't think JBJ cardio is in the same level as Cain's, and he would not have a huge strenght advantage as he does in LHW.
What does Cain do after he pressures Jones as Machida did, and finds himself in a standing guillotine?

Cain can win this fight, and I think he is the betting favorite, but this fight won't be that simple.

What does Cain do after he pressures Jones as Machida did, and finds himself in a standing guillotine?

Cain can win this fight, and I think he is the betting favorite, but this fight won't be that simple.

I think Bones would open up as favourite.

Jones just needs to keep it standing and when his opp. shoots, punish him with elbows after sprawling and forcing them into Guard.

Back