Cain Velasquez vs. Jon Jones tale of the tape

j18lee

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
If they fought in 6 months, would you automatically say Cain Velasquez is the bigger guy and thus would have a size advantage simply because he is a heavyweight?

So many sherdoggers assume a fighter from any weight class is automatically at a size disadvantage when they move up a class. Weird how they don't realize some fighters cut more than others, or that some fighters are just so huge at their weight class that they would still be bigger than SOME of the fighters at the next weight class.

Cain Velasquez
Height: 6'1"
Weight: 240 lbs
Reach: 77 in

Jon Jones
Height: 6'4"
Weight: 205 lbs (in cage minimum 220 lbs, if he had 6 months to get ready, he'd prob be 230-235 lbs).
Reach: 84 in

Not saying there is any need for them to fight now, but maybe mid-2014. If it happens, Jon Jones would be the bigger guy, though not necessary the better fighter.

Edit: I accidentally had Jon Jones at 6'2", he is 6'4" as many corrected, which of course, proves my point more.

Last edited:
If they fought in 6 months, would you automatically say Cain Velasquez is the bigger guy and thus would have a size advantage simply because he is a heavyweight?

So many sherdoggers assume any fighter from any weight class is automatically at a size disadvantage when they move up. Weird how they don't realize some people cut more than others, or that some fighters just so huge at one weight class that they would still be bigger than SOME of the fighters at a higher weight class.

Cain Velasquez

Jon Jones
Height: 6'2"
Weight: 205 lbs (in cage minimum 220 lbs, if he had 6 months to get ready, he'd prob be 230-235 lbs).

Not saying there is any need for them to fight now, but maybe mid-2014. If it happens, Jon Jones would be the bigger guy, though not necessary the better fighter.

JJ is a solid 6'4 brah. Cain although listed 6'1, is more like 6 ft (shorter than Machida).

Damn what's with the barrage of Jones threads..whatever I got Jones for obvious reasons

And Jones is 6'4 and growing lol

I think a 240lbs Jones would beat Cain.

It would be a hell of a fight, a 235lbs Jones would be interesting.

imo Cain would be too much for him no matter how big he gets..

Jones seems better everywhere but the one advantage Cain would probably have is his relentless pressure. Jones has never allowed an opponent to fight their fight but its hard to picture Cain mentally folding and letting himself be picked apart at range. It would be an interesting fight for sure. I'm interested in the Sonnen fight for the same reason (aggressive pressure) but Cain is a lot more dangerous and bigger.

Overeem will send both of those guys to the morgue if they ever fight him. and those are 2 skilled talented guys, don't get me wrong. but the Reem is able to unleash bombs formidable enough to stop Nepolions army

to answer your question, no.

In related topics, who do you think would win in a fight between a proud brown bear and a black bear with skinny legs?

Jones would suffer Dos Santos fate. Give or take 3 takedowns here n there.

I agree with your point. Functionally, Cain is not any bigger than Jones right now. Cain could lose 15 pounds of fat and still carry more excess than Jones. This same comparison could be made between a number of LHW/HWs.

I would heavily favor Cain and a number of other HWs over Jones today or with six months of preparation. Jones is right where he needs to be at LHW.

12857072929542.g.jpg

ufc-140-press-conference-jon-jones-and-lyoto-machida.jpg

Judging by Jones' calves, there is no way he can gain 10 to 15 pounds of muscle and be in as good as shape that he is in at 205 in 6 months TS. Some can put on muscle really really easily, and it would take them about a year to a year and a half to add 15 pounds of muscle.

No way Jones has as good as genes for building muscle as those people either.

EDIT: Mesomorph is the word I was looking for.

Also, in my opinion, Jones would do just fine as is. I think Cain would win either way, but he would put on a hell of a fight. I really would like to see this fight.

Last edited:

So many sherdoggers assume a fighter from any weight class is automatically at a size disadvantage when they move up a class. Weird how they don't realize some fighters cut more than others, or that some fighters are just so huge at their weight class that they would still be bigger than SOME of the fighters at the next weight class.

Cain Velasquez

Jon Jones
Height: 6'2"

Jones is 6'4

JDS is now relegated to the rashad show I see and Cain is now the top brass at HW.

ROFL, how time has changed.

Back