Burmese Pythons and Indian pythons are cross-breeding in Florida

don't worry, the green algae will kill off this hybrid species.

2godme.jpg

Welcome to 5 years ago

Shit is out of control down here. Weirdo dipshits who get snakes as pets then can't control them once they grow to adult size so they dump them in the Everglades and besmirch our ecosystem

They'll learn how to adapt to get on airplanes and how to get into hurricanes. They'll be called Hurrisnakes. Florida is F'd

It’s dumb, hybrid vigor is rare. Most hybrids usually have more issues than either of the pure bred parents. So no, I don’t think it will make the issue worse.
These are much bigger threats
Feral pigs
Development
Water quality
The last part of your statement is certainly true, but the first is incorrect. Hybrid vigor is an indisputable fact, one that can always be relied upon to some extent. It doesn't mean hybrid offspring always retain the best of both parents, genetics don't work this way and I suspect the article is half bullshit. But hybrid offspring will typically retain traits shared by both parents, both good and bad.
Still, it really doesn't matter and the article is just more internet trash created to get clicks. ANY python in the Everglades will take a "dominant role" because there aren't many large snakes native to the area. LOL at "super snake". And I guess I shouldn't be surprised this is a Daily Mail article.

It’s dumb, hybrid vigor is rare. Most hybrids usually have more issues than either of the pure bred parents. So no, I don’t think it will make the issue worse.
These are much bigger threats
Feral pigs
Development
Water quality
what does development mean in this context
sorry im dumb

I heard the winters weren’t knocking Florida pythons back, and they are starting to miagrate further north.

Feral pig vs. Super Snake, who takes it?

I got my boy Bebop mercing those sissy-ass snakes.

latest

Good thread.

Went through a YouTube phase last week of looking at Python Catching in Florida.

Real Tarzan is the man.

The last part of your statement is certainly true, but the first is incorrect. Hybrid vigor is an indisputable fact, one that can always be relied upon to some extent. It doesn't mean hybrid offspring always retain the best of both parents, genetics don't work this way and I suspect the article is half bullshit. But hybrid offspring will typically retain traits shared by both parents, both good and bad.
Still, it really doesn't matter and the article is just more internet trash created to get clicks. ANY python in the Everglades will take a "dominant role" because there aren't many large snakes native to the area. LOL at "super snake". And I guess I shouldn't be surprised this is a Daily Mail article.
I feel you misunderstood me, if I knew the proper terminology (hybrid vigor) then of course I know it’s a fact. I’m saying heterosis isn’t seen in many hybrids as hybrid offspring often have little to no positive traits. Of course it could happen but it often doesn’t with naturally occurring hybrids.

Welcome to 5 years ago

Shit is out of control down here. Weirdo dipshits who get snakes as pets then can't control them once they grow to adult size so they dump them in the Everglades and besmirch our ecosystem
The majority of pythons actually escaped after a warehouse where they were being kept was destroyed in a hurricane
@Skylako I was speaking of human development

The majority of pythons actually escaped after a warehouse where they were being kept was destroyed in a hurricane

I live in South FL, and actually never heard that, despite the topic coming up a number of times. That is quite interesting.

I am googling it now, and I see a number of articles related to Hurricane Irma, but this started way before that. I put on a news article filter to sort articles for prior to 2017, with "python", "hurricane", "escape", "warehouse", "everglades" and particular came up. Just multiple articles about hunting and killing pythons.

Kind of sad actually, but I guess they got to maintain the ecosystem.

I also enjoyed your little tangent about hybrid species. That has always fascinated me. Quick question, but do you know much about the cichlids in Africa's major lakes? Is part of the hyper evolution related to cross breeding, or mostly just quick reproductive cycles within a species? Sorry to bother.

I live in South FL, and actually never heard that, despite the topic coming up a number of times. That is quite interesting.

I am googling it now, and I see a number of articles related to Hurricane Irma, but this started way before that. I put on a news article filter to sort articles for prior to 2017, with "python", "hurricane", "escape", "warehouse", "everglades" and particular came up. Just multiple articles about hunting and killing pythons.

Kind of sad actually, but I guess they got to maintain the ecosystem.

I also enjoyed your little tangent about hybrid species. That has always fascinated me. Quick question, but do you know much about the cichlids in Africa's major lakes? Is part of the hyper evolution related to cross breeding, or mostly just quick reproductive cycles within a species? Sorry to bother.
IIRC it was way back during hurricane andrew ('92?)

afaik that's speculation, but either way they're an invasive species and should be murdered on sight

Back