Burmese Pythons and Indian pythons are cross-breeding in Florida

I feel you misunderstood me, if I knew the proper terminology (hybrid vigor) then of course I know it’s a fact. I’m saying heterosis isn’t seen in many hybrids as hybrid offspring often have little to no positive traits. Of course it could happen but it often doesn’t with naturally occurring hybrids.
But they do have positive traits, many times (not always) there are more positive than negative. I should clarify, I'm referring more to domestic animals than wild, and in those cases breeders are able to choose the correct breeds to cross. So maybe we're comparing apples to oranges. I'm primarily familiar with cattle breeding, and crossing two complimentary breeds is known to be the only "free money" in the industry. Hell, beef would hardly exist in the south without cross breeding. Most cattle in the south have at least 25% brahma blood, and there are numerous composite breeds created by cross breeding. The meat chicken industry is another where cross breading changed everything. By just crossing a barred rock with a cornish, you get a hybrid that grows so fast it can't even survive to adulthood.

"Have you ever been to Florida ? It's basically a criminal population down there. It's America's Australia !" - Jack Donaghey, 30 Rock.

We Floridians can handle it. Those Floridians that perish at the jaws of this fine specimen were meant to win Darwin’s award.

It seems you guys have accepted your fate as the state which will bring down the nation.

It’s dumb, hybrid vigor is rare. Most hybrids usually have more issues than either of the pure bred parents. So no, I don’t think it will make the issue worse.
These are much bigger threats
Feral pigs
Development
Water quality
I cant tell you how many hogs I've killed over the past 3 years here in Texas. The bastards just wont die out and go away. As long as Ive got bullets though I'll keep mowin em down!

In FL? That is awesome. Do you have a sense of it was a bigger than average gator?
it was on a show Troy Landry from the Swamp People was doing called Swamp Mysteries he said it was a big one so it was probably atleast 10ft the python was well over 10ft. While he was also there in Fla he showed how Pacu are also in Fla now.

But they do have positive traits, many times (not always) there are more positive than negative. I should clarify, I'm referring more to domestic animals than wild, and in those cases breeders are able to choose the correct breeds to cross. So maybe we're comparing apples to oranges. I'm primarily familiar with cattle breeding, and crossing two complimentary breeds is known to be the only "free money" in the industry. Hell, beef would hardly exist in the south without cross breeding. Most cattle in the south have at least 25% brahma blood, and there are numerous composite breeds created by cross breeding. The meat chicken industry is another where cross breading changed everything. By just crossing a barred rock with a cornish, you get a hybrid that grows so fast it can't even survive to adulthood.
Sorry if this post is rambling, I’m mowing in disgusting heat and humidity and am drenched in sweat.

Yeah those are two different things totally especially because that which you are talking about isn't hybridization. A mule is a better example of domestic hybridization

That’s just cross breeding (different breeds, same species), and it does happen in wild animals too it’s just rare.

Also, I talked with a friend that lives in Florida and is actually pretty prominent in this issue (he used to be on python hunters). He mentioned the percentage of hybrids is decreasing because there aren’t any actual Indian pythons in the wild.

They were commonly cross bred back in the day in captivity because people couldn’t really tell the difference between the two species. So the Indian python genetics are being slowly bred out of the wild Burmese population.

it was on a show Troy Landry from the Swamp People was doing called Swamp Mysteries he said it was a big one so it was probably atleast 10ft the python was well over 10ft. While he was also there in Fla he showed how Pacu are also in Fla now.

some monster them be.

Also, so have Tegu lizards. I know someone who's dog was killed by one.

edit:
tegu.jpg

It seems you guys have accepted your fate as the state which will bring down the nation.
We are neck and neck with California in the race to crash the states. At least we have far better headlines when our shenanigans goes south.

I live in South FL, and actually never heard that, despite the topic coming up a number of times. That is quite interesting.

I am googling it now, and I see a number of articles related to Hurricane Irma, but this started way before that. I put on a news article filter to sort articles for prior to 2017, with "python", "hurricane", "escape", "warehouse", "everglades" and particular came up. Just multiple articles about hunting and killing pythons.

Kind of sad actually, but I guess they got to maintain the ecosystem.

I also enjoyed your little tangent about hybrid species. That has always fascinated me. Quick question, but do you know much about the cichlids in Africa's major lakes? Is part of the hyper evolution related to cross breeding, or mostly just quick reproductive cycles within a species? Sorry to bother.
It was Hurricane Andrew. Some warehouse in Homestead I believe

But pythons had been spotted in the Everglades dating back to the 80s

During the storm, a facility housing Burmese pythons was destroyed, allowing many of them to escape into the Everglades. Although Burmese pythons – native to Southeast Asia – had been sighted in Everglades National Park since the 1980s, the destruction of this facility contributed significantly to the establishment of breeding populations in Florida. Due to rapid reproduction and ability to prey on many species,[93] the population of Burmese pythons has exploded, with possibly as many as 300,000 in the Everglades alone.[94] Efforts have been made to curb the thriving population of these invasive snakes, including a ban on importation of the species to the United States since January 2012,[95] the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission in 2008 regulating that boa and python owners have permits and tag their snakes,[96] and Burmese python hunting contests.[97] In March 2017, the South Florida Water Management District(SFWMD) began its Python Elimination Program. Qualified individuals became authorized to capture Burmese pythons on SFWMD properties, with minimum wage pay as compensation and a bonus of $50 for a python at least 4 ft (1.2 m) in length, plus an additional $25 for every foot beyond 4 ft (1.2 m). Further, compensation was set at $200 for finding a nest with eggs. By May 2018, 1,000 Burmese pythons were captured through that program alone.[98]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Effects_of_Hurricane_Andrew_in_Florida#Environmental_aftermath

Welcome to 5 years ago

Shit is out of control down here. Weirdo dipshits who get snakes as pets then can't control them once they grow to adult size so they dump them in the Everglades and besmirch our ecosystem
don't forget the feral parrot populations all over Miami. No one complains much though cuz they're cute.
parrots-in-back-yard-21351627.jpg

Also interesting, in the area of Miami where my brother lives, invasive peacocks are taking over. When he moved there about 10 years ago, there was like 1-2 dozen tops. Now there are hundreds of them. It is pretty annoying, but funny and pretty at the same time.
I heard they're really aggressive and attack people.

I heard they're really aggressive and attack people.

Havent heard of them attacking people physically. But I have seen some charge at my nephews (both toddlers) and then fall back, once the nephews are running and are screaming. They also aren't afraid of my car, and have charged at it. Assholes, but I won't ever hit one, I would feel awful.

I actually am very surprised that they don't fight more with the feral cats that are around. There are even lots of feral Hemingway cats with the extra toes! I run around that specific area quite often, and never have seen the corpse of a baby peacock, as if a cat had killed it. The peacock numbers have just grown so fast, and they tend to maintain very close social groups, very protective of the young.

Also interesting that a number of them seem to be half albino, and I have seen at least 2 full albinos. Maybe as a result of inbreeding through such a small population to begin with.

Sorry if this post is rambling, I’m mowing in disgusting heat and humidity and am drenched in sweat.

Yeah those are two different things totally especially because that which you are talking about isn't hybridization. A mule is a better example of domestic hybridization

That’s just cross breeding (different breeds, same species), and it does happen in wild animals too it’s just rare.

Also, I talked with a friend that lives in Florida and is actually pretty prominent in this issue (he used to be on python hunters). He mentioned the percentage of hybrids is decreasing because there aren’t any actual Indian pythons in the wild.

They were commonly cross bred back in the day in captivity because people couldn’t really tell the difference between the two species. So the Indian python genetics are being slowly bred out of the wild Burmese population.
I see what you're saying. You're right, we're talking about two different things. I thought you meant hybrid vigor was just rare in general. Sorry for the thread detour.

Havent heard of them attacking people physically. But I have seen some charge at my nephews (both toddlers) and then fall back, once the nephews are running and are screaming. They also aren't afraid of my car, and have charged at it. Assholes, but I won't ever hit one, I would feel awful.

I actually am very surprised that they don't fight more with the feral cats that are around. There are even lots of feral Hemingway cats with the extra toes! I run around that specific area quite often, and never have seen the corpse of a baby peacock, as if a cat had killed it. The peacock numbers have just grown so fast, and they tend to maintain very close social groups, very protective of the young.

Also interesting that a number of them seem to be half albino, and I have seen at least 2 full albinos. Maybe as a result of inbreeding through such a small population to begin with.

lol, the scared kids always makes me laugh. The peacocks can jump pretty high as well. I often see them on the roof of single story houses, or garages, making that annoying ass mating call. I assume it is a mating call....

Nature taking its course. Florida man has powered up to new levels, only makes sense that God would start tricking out the snakes for balance

Back