Bulking and Bodyweight Exercises

the amount of stupidity in this thread makes me want to bash my head against my "stack o' tires" punching bag outside till there is no skin left.

Look. If you want to bulk you have to eat more GOOD foods. That means lean meats, rice,potatoes, some greens, spices like garlic and good amounts of healthy fats like olive oil. Doesn't matter if you eat more by having 2 huge meals or spreading it out across5-6 meals, just look a sumo's. Eating more of these foods alone will give you bigger muscles by default if you had a shitty diet to begin with. Protein powders are worthless if you diet sucks to begin with. Don't waste your money.

As for workouts, you get out what you put into them. I know of many people that are bigger from body weight exercises than people that lift weights and same goes for the other way around. Its all about how much energy you put into what you are doing.

eat work grow. simple.

the amount of stupidity in this thread makes me want to bash my head against my "stack o' tires" punching bag outside till there is no skin left.

Look. If you want to bulk you have to eat more GOOD foods. That means lean meats, rice,potatoes, some greens, spices like garlic and good amounts of healthy fats like olive oil. Doesn't matter if you eat more by having 2 huge meals or spreading it out across5-6 meals, just look a sumo's. Eating more of these foods alone will give you bigger muscles by default if you had a shitty diet to begin with. Protein powders are worthless if you diet sucks to begin with. Don't waste your money.

As for workouts, you get out what you put into them. I know of many people that are bigger from body weight exercises than people that lift weights and same goes for the other way around. Its all about how much energy you put into what you are doing.

eat work grow. simple.

Really could have fooled me.

eat work grow. simple.

Okay, schmarty pants, but I still don't understand how guys in prison get huge. To think that they are on a steady regimen of training/rest/clean diet before getting locked up, instead of gangbanging and slangin' crack, is pure stupidity.

How exactly, as Ice Cube put it, do guys get "swole on bread and water"???

Mega Supersets of BW exercises 16 hrs a day?

Mon, Wed, Fri

Chest:
Bench press 5 x 6-10
Flat bench flyes 5 x 6-10
Incline bench press 6 x 6-10
Cable crossovers 6 x 10-12
Dips (body weight) 5 x failure
Dumbell pullovers 5 x 10-12.

Back:
Wide-grip chins (to front) 6 x failure
T-bar rows 5 x 6-10
Seated pulley rows 6 x 6-10
One-arm dumbell rows 5 x 6-10
Straight-leg deadlifts 6 x 15

Legs:
Squats 6 x 8-12
Leg press 6 x 8-12
Leg extensions 6 x 12-15
Leg curls 6 x 10-12
Barbell lunges 5 x 15

Calves:
Standing calf raises 10 x 10
Seated calf raises 8 x 15
Oneplegged calf raises (holding dumbells) 6x12

Forearms:
Wrist curls (forearms on knees) - 4 sets, 10 reps
Reverse barbell curls - 4 sets, 8 reps
Wright roller machine - to failure

Abs:

^ best split so far, 1st one. You should spread it around the forums more.

To think that they are on a steady regimen of training/rest/clean diet before getting locked up, instead of gangbanging and slangin' crack, is pure stupidity.

How is that stupid?

I would argue that the guys in prison tend to be huge/jakt/toned because a large black dude is more likely to be a criminal/gangster than a scrawny guy. In other words, most of the huge criminals you see in prison are naturally very muscular before they get there.

140 pound, 5'9" guys usually aren't very successful at "gangbanging and slangin' crack". Thus, they get jobs that do not have an unwritten prerequisite for being very intimidating. I don't understand why you think that criminals arrive at prison weak and skinny and then somehow get huge while they are there.

How is that stupid?

I would argue that the guys in prison tend to be huge/jakt/toned because a large black dude is more likely to be a criminal/gangster than a scrawny guy. In other words, most of the huge criminals you see in prison are naturally very muscular before they get there.

140 pound, 5'9" guys usually aren't very successful at "gangbanging and slangin' crack". Thus, they get jobs that do not have an unwritten prerequisite for being very intimidating. I don't understand why you think that criminals arrive at prison weak and skinny and then somehow get huge while they are there.

Well...growing up in Los Angeles I've seen more than my fair share of gangbangers, crack dealers, and scumbags. I've even seen a "baby-G", 5' nuthin and 120lbs run up on a big black dude and carve him up with a steak knife. Not to mention all the drive-bys.

I'm willing to bet you live somewhere in the middle of the country.

Well...growing up in Los Angeles I've seen more than my fair share of gangbangers, crack dealers, and scumbags. I've even seen a "baby-G", 5' nuthin and 120lbs run up on a big black dude and carve him up with a steak knife. Not to mention all the drive-bys.

I'm willing to bet you live somewhere in the middle of the country.

Would you say that average gangbangers, crack dealers, and scumbags are smaller and weaker than your average law-abiding citizen?

I live in a suburb-ish area.

My responce is this: Why are you working with bodyweight exercises only ? Stuff bodyweight exercies.

Lifting heavy weights offers many benefits. For strength training, it's the best path. Squats, Deadlifts, Benchpress and Overhead Press. Just stick to the fundamental lifts.

I remember when I could crank out 100 pushups straight, followd by 40 Dips in a row. Yet I had trouble Benchpressing 50kg, which is 110 lbs for you Americans.

I remember when I could do 200 Bodyweight Squats and 10 One Legged Squats. Yet if you put 60kg on a Barbell, I could not even Squat it.

3 years down the track I can Bench 110kg and Squat 125kg. My Deadkift is about 130kg. But I only Deadlift heavy once a week. How many pushups can I do ? Don't know and don't care.

I'm just surprised one of these gangbang'n, crack dealing, scumbags hasn't written a book yet on how to get swole.

Thanks for all the responses guys, I've read all of them and really do appreciate it.

The reason I asked is because I can only hit up the gym 3-4 days a week due to work schedule, so I wanted to do what I could at home until I can afford to buy weights for home use.

3 - 4 days a week in the gym is plenty for a strength/bulking routine. Most of the routines used on this forum are 3 day/week. Some are 2 days/week and some are 4 days/week.

Ah, I mean I'm not lifting for 3-4 days a week, I have 3 classes a week, I try to lift at least 2 days between Monday-Thursday doing full body routines but want to squeeze one more in there

"Nasty Nate's Guide to Gettin' Swole"

Only YOU can prevent ass-rape!

Snap. I imagine the testimonials would be hilarious. Picture of some buff crack-head, talking about how he's gotten so swole that he's now the rapist, not the rape-e.

Are you planning on cutting once you bulk up? If so, eat heaps, lift weights and make sure you spread out your mma(or whatever you do) from your weights or you will unnecessarily burn off muscle. Once you are big enough, eat less, do a lot of cardio and you should be ripped but still a decent size. But yeah thats more of a bodybuilding example, and if assume you want to do mma or whatever so you should do relevant exercises like Deadlifts, full lifts, squats, bench press, chin-ups, intense circuit training, sprints and barbell complexes

Are you planning on cutting once you bulk up? If so, eat heaps, lift weights and make sure you spread out your mma(or whatever you do) from your weights or you will unnecessarily burn off muscle. Once you are big enough, eat less, do a lot of cardio and you should be ripped but still a decent size. But yeah thats more of a bodybuilding example, and if assume you want to do mma or whatever so you should do relevant exercises like Deadlifts, full lifts, squats, bench press, chin-ups, intense circuit training, sprints and barbell complexes

Crack apparently helps in cutting, and explains why those guys are always so ripped.

You can bulk up on bodyweight exercises alone. It is just more challenging because you have to learn all the progressions (for example do you know how to get from push-ups on your knees to 90-degree press-ups? -I don't). Overall, you best off breaking up your goal into smaller ones and you should qualify your weight gain with some form of strength and conditioning assessment.

If you want to see what 230 feels like add a weight vest/back pack and try training.

Mon, Wed, Fri

Chest:
Bench press 5 x 6-10
Flat bench flyes 5 x 6-10
Incline bench press 6 x 6-10
Cable crossovers 6 x 10-12
Dips (body weight) 5 x failure
Dumbell pullovers 5 x 10-12.

Back:
Wide-grip chins (to front) 6 x failure
T-bar rows 5 x 6-10
Seated pulley rows 6 x 6-10