Bulking and Bodyweight Exercises

destrukt0

White Belt
Reaction score
I was trying to google the information but nothing really showed up for my exact question.

I'm trying to bulk from 5'7 (or 5'8?) to 230lbs (205 would be ideal just as a realistic goal for now). I'm not really worried about not having a 6 pack or any of that definition. My end result is to look something similar to:

igor-vovchanchyn.jpg

I understand the eating aspect would be lots of calories, proteins, good fats etc. but looking at his arms, shoulders etc would that require a lot of weight lifting or would bodyweight exercises be sufficient enough with a high caloric diet?

I made a thread awhile ago about trying out this GOMAD stint, true to it's word I've gained 4lbs since I've been doing it and I have another month and a bit to go but I just want to make sure that I'm not going about this all wrong.

Can I naturally get thicker by incorporating bodyweight exercises with my current diet that I'm using for bulking or will I have to do weight lifting as well?

The reason I'm asking this is because I keep hearing this 'skinny fat' term being thrown around and when I think of that I think of Jon Dore:

m_b702acfaac0f482e872f0c9daa56a11c.jpg

jondoreshow_ep104_episode_mini_gallery_photo_0.jpg

Any help/tips would be greatly appreciated, and I couldn't find this exact question in the FAQ or any of the stickies. Unless I'm completely blind.

I'm 5'8" 175 lbs and built like tyson griffin, I have large shoulders from pull ups, weight vest push ups,and regular push ups, my dad is 5'8" 200 lbs like Igor build so I might just have it in my DNA,but pull ups did make my upper body bigger.

generally, bodyweight exercises are used for cutting and/or conditioning, for whatever reasons; convenience, travel, no facilities, etc

bottom line, if you truly want to get bigger, you need to progressively train with heavier weights...you'll build a little by doing pushups, pullups, lunges, sissy squats, dips...but you'll soon need to add more resistance

the guy in that pic is 5' 7" and 230lbs?

lol I have a skinny fat uncle hes a pro guitarist , the term used to describe him is "cuerpo de musico"(literal translation body of musician or non literal"musicians body") my aunt uses it joking around.

generally, bodyweight exercises are used for cutting and/or conditioning, for whatever reasons; convenience, travel, no facilities, etc

bottom line, if you truly want to get bigger, you need to progressively train with heavier weights...you'll build a little by doing pushups, pullups, lunges, sissy squats, dips...but you'll soon need to add more resistance

the guy in that pic is 5' 7" and 230lbs?

Yeah, he's 5'8 and 230lbs..well, was. He's now way heavier due to retiring from fighting and owning a restaurant, haha.

But thanks for all the information so far from everyone, I'm trying to soak up as much as I can. I usually do some weights after classes but sometimes I avoid it till the last class of the week because I end up getting really sore/in-pain from lifting a lot and not able to make the next days class. Yes, I'm that weak at the moment.

i dont think 230 lbs looks good on a 5'8 body , that tacking low body fat into consideration, i am 6'2 and 190 lbs , i do lot of push ups and weight training , but maybe becuz i run alot i am not gaining any weight. 1 tip if u wanna get bigger , first u must take protein shakes and lift heavier weights

i dont think 230 lbs looks good on a 5'8 body , that tacking low body fat into consideration, i am 6'2 and 190 lbs , i do lot of push ups and weight training , but maybe becuz i run alot i am not gaining any weight. 1 tip if u wanna get bigger , first u must take protein shakes and lift heavier weights

Well, I'm not doing it to impress any ladies. I'm not really into the whole 6-pack thing. If I get it I get it but it's not a goal of mine -- the whole beach body thing. Plus, I don't think it looks that bad on a 5'8 guy.

In regards to proteins and calories etc. I'm drinking a gallon of milk a day, eating my beef, chickens and tunas, eggs etc. also eating pasta and what-not. Staying completely away from junk food, like chips, candy, chocolate bars etc.

Going to 3 classes a week for now, going to increase it once my body is use to this kind of conditioning/training but definitely want to start hitting the weights every other day until my body can handle this much activity.

Probably going to start adding more pull-ups/chin-ups to my routine.

the only bodyweight excercises you should be doing are pull ups/chin ups. keep your cardio down to as lttle as possible

Why exactly are you wanting to bulk? All of this, "I want to look like _________" is lame. Is your primary concern strength?

Well, I'm not doing it to impress any ladies. I'm not really into the whole 6-pack thing. If I get it I get it but it's not a goal of mine -- the whole beach body thing. Plus, I don't think it looks that bad on a 5'8 guy.

In regards to proteins and calories etc. I'm drinking a gallon of milk a day, eating my beef, chickens and tunas, eggs etc. also eating pasta and what-not. Staying completely away from junk food, like chips, candy, chocolate bars etc.

Going to 3 classes a week for now, going to increase it once my body is use to this kind of conditioning/training but definitely want to start hitting the weights every other day until my body can handle this much activity.

Probably going to start adding more pull-ups/chin-ups to my routine.

i guess u need to take protein shakes to bulk up pretty quikly , and do u mean by classes ?? what do u do like martial arts or just weights in a gym.
as for the diet its good , pasta gives u energy , but u need more proten than tuna and chicken can afford , if u wanna be 230 that is .

Mass pushups or dips + Mass chinups + Mass Hill Sprints + Alot of Grappling + More calories than you burn = a bigger, stronger body.

Don't make it so difficult. Use the highest resistance available to you and practice alot. Any 200+ lb guy doing 20+ chins in a row is fucking strong.

Why exactly are you wanting to bulk? All of this, "I want to look like _________" is lame. Is your primary concern strength?

Yes, I'm looking for strength and the be generally bigger/thicker.

And cutting back on the cardio isn't possible, I walk roughly 2+ hours a day at work and I have MMA 3 days a week which are pretty cardio intensive.

Apparently my BMI is 1,800, I burn roughly 700 calories at work throughout the day then I have 2 hour classes 3 days a week and I don't know how many I burn there but I'm guessing it's a lot. So that's why I started incorporating GOMAD into my diet to kind of counter all of that while I struggle to find my calories through my regular meals with a tight budget until September. I'm trying to make due with what I have.

You should read the FAQ again and practically memorize it

Do squats, deadlifts, bench press, standing overhead press, pullups, and rows (of some sort) with the goal of consistently lifting more weight (or for more reps or within less time, or combine them all) + a shit ton of calories and protein + time = getting bigger. Follow starting strength, stronglifts 5x5, or the 2 day split in the FAQ and stick to it for several months.

If you can't do those exercises then get creative. Get a backpack, throw some shit in it and then do pushups, pullups, chinups, squats, etc... then when they get easier throw heavier shit in the backpack. And eat.

Did I mention eat?

Cutting through all the "I want to look like X" bullshit, it sounds like you want to get stronger and put on mass. My advice is read the FAQ, then read the thread that I linked in the last post in the FAQ thread to find a good routine. Then do that routine and eat a lot and you will get stronger. Worry about your exact weight later when you are looking to fight (I assume you are worried about weight because of weight classes).

Also, lol @ "bulking from 5'7 to 230 lb".

One thing about push ups is that most people don't utalize it properly. The majority of times you see someone doing push ups, they do it half assed; only going half way down before almost going up completly.

If you touch your chess to the ground, and then go all the way back up, you can get a good workout. Not as good as heavy weights, but a good workout indeed.

One thing about push ups is that most people don't utalize it properly. The majority of times you see someone doing push ups, they do it half assed; only going half way down before almost going up completly.

If you touch your chess to the ground, and then go all the way back up, you can get a good workout. Not as good as heavy weights, but a good workout indeed.

A pull-up in which my chest touches the ground? I don't think I can do those.

Anyway, to answer the thread, if you want to be 5'7", 230 lbs., the simplest way to go about that is to eat more calories than you expend until you weigh 230 lbs. While doing so, it will be beneficial to put together a good weightlifting program, which you can receive some help on with the FAQ.

I would also suggest browsing the Diet subforum, as "bulking" is as much a dietary concern as it is a S&C one.

And dips,muscle ups and ab wheel outs are all useless

To play devil's advocate, I'd argue that for a beginner dips, muscle ups and ab wheel roll outs, while not useless, are not the most useful exercises they could be doing.

Back