• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

BSD needs to learn from Gaethje and fix his fight IQ

He wont be as effective if he stops his forward pressure. His forward pressure is what makes him elite in this game. i don't think he has the striking to actually have a normal striking affair in the open.

Gamrot is a good example of a guy with basic striking who makes his high pressure game work by being slippery on the feet and picking his spots. Going hard all the time is a strategy that only works for a select few. St-Denis is perhaps not made to fight that way (at the highest level). He does have skill though, so there is always hope that he can tweak his approach and get those results.

Should St-Denis fight at WW? He looked massive against Poirier, who is a good-sized LW.

He has all the great fundamuntals to be a great fighter. He has determination, puts on a high pace, good grappling, good offensive skills. Unfortunately, like Charles and Gaethje before him, he needs to stop going forward like a madman and throwing wild punches with his chin up in the air.

He's so sure of himself that he thinks the oponent will be too tired to exchange as the fight goes on. Well it's freaking Dustin Poirier you have in front of you pal, and if you give him too many opportunities he will indeed knock you out.

I also suspect lack of professionalism in his camp. They need to teach him the tactical aspect of a 5 rounds fight.

His head coach had a hand in multiple ufc champs. I'm sure they're professional. Benoit is young in the game and green in many ways. His peak will probably be in another 2 or 3 years from now. Hopefully he learns from this.

The guy needs to fight like that. Whoever can take him over 7-8 mins will most likely beat him. Said it before, and I think it was confirmed last night: prob the most grossly overrated fighter in the ufc after Chimaev

There's more to experience than number of fights dude.
yr1jbr.gif

100% his balls to the walls game looks super impressive against weaker competition but against Dustin, he started gassing after one round and his terrible defense got exposed. Not saying that he is trash and doesn't belong in the top ten, but he needs to re-evaluate and change camps. That button mashing shit he does is not going to carry him to the top.

between rounds his coaches were telling him "stop brawling start picking your shots" but it seems like the guy is just bleed to the core he couldn't do it

Gamrot is a good example of a guy with basic striking who makes his high pressure game work by being slippery on the feet and picking his spots. Going hard all the time is a strategy that only works for a select few. St-Denis is perhaps not made to fight that way (at the highest level). He does have skill though, so there is always hope that he can tweak his approach and get those results.

Gamrot also was fighting a 39 year old RDA and still managed to get rocked, I dont think he would have fared well against Poirier. People have been putting far too little respect on Poirier's name since Gaethje landed that headkick on him, it was an insult that he was the underdog against a guy outside the top 10. Keep in mind he's arguably the best boxer in MMA and unless you can take him down consistently he's a massive problem for anyone.

Gamrot also was fighting a 39 year old RDA and still managed to get rocked, I dont think he would have fared well against Poirier. People have been putting far too little respect on Poirier's name since Gaethje landed that headkick on him, it was an insult that he was the underdog against a guy outside the top 10. Keep in mind he's arguably the best boxer in MMA and unless you can take him down consistently he's a massive problem for anyone.

I very much agree about people (and oddsmakers) unjustly dismissing Poirier in this fight. I still think that the way St-Denis fought here, and in general, is not putting his skills to good use.

Gamrot is not BSD and RDA is not Poirier but the point is still valid: unless you are Colby or Merab, you need to pace yourself and pick your moments. Gamrot may have gotten rocked playing it safe but it might have been a lot worse if he was stil fighting the same way as he did in his UFC debut.

reminded me of early Kevin Lee
naw, BSD has heart and despite looking tired, the guy does have good cardio, he blows his wad and regains it fairly quick.

he really should reconsider blowing his wad because he becomes vulnerable as hell when trying to catch his breath.

Oh look brother @HuskySamoan did the busy work for me:
BSD is a gifted fighter with a real aptitude for fighting, violence etc. That said, he has like 5 years experience in MMA while a guy like Poirier had his amateur debut at 18 and pro debut at 20. Poirier actually developed thoroughly as a fighter through experience in competition and in years of training, hundreds if not thousands more hours sparring than BSD. BSD has very clear holes, nearly non existent striking defense being a huge one but also he only throws off his left side, has little strike selection and only throws anything close to a combo when he decides to brawl with bad technique and his chin in the air. His fight IQ just isn't good, his game isn't that developed but he is a big, physical and aggressive guy who's offensively effective both in his grappling and striking to a reasonable extent. But yup, when it was a fire fight, Poirer was rolling and blocking shots defensively while throwing back in combination intelligently while BSD had to constantly reset and was sloppy.

16 fights isn't green in MMA dude, we have had champions with far less fights.
Remember when you said this with so much certainty and unironically? Lol. Queue coping Dr. Evil gif.

100% his balls to the walls game looks super impressive against weaker competition but against Dustin, he started gassing after one round and his terrible defense got exposed. Not saying that he is trash and doesn't belong in the top ten, but he needs to re-evaluate and change camps. That button mashing shit he does is not going to carry him to the top.

I believe him when he said he had staph. He has slowed in the past, but nothing like this before. Regardless, this fight showed he has a lot to work on with his boxing. I quite liked his thai clinch, though, and his grappling is high level.

Last edited:
I dont see great fundamentals. Dustin destroyed him on the inside. It was pretty to see. Granted Dustin is one of the best boxers ever to fight in the UFC. I dont think a lot of guys can break BSD, but he definitely could tighten up his striking.

Back