• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Media Brunson wonders about NBA players' pay.

James-Johnson-363a.jpg

Something tells me that they aren’t all making 30m a year in salary

Yes clueless, they are cage fighters you're not gonna find many of the smart ones in this business

Nba players combined with their physical attributes make them the fastest and strongest athletes in the world. Nuff said

I'm not a huge NBA guy. I prefer NCAA hoops. I'll throw some coin down on college but usually don't fuck with the pro games. I'll definitely say that a low to mid tier guy in the NBA is banking more than your low to mid tier guy in any other sport.

Its harder to be an NBA player than NFL or MLB just based on roster sizes alone. Less NBA available spots might make it tougher to get there but man is it worth it once you do. A lot more of the pie to go around.

That type of salary is for a select few, although it appears some teams are willing to spend that to take a chance on a 3-4 year player that is showing potential.

People forget how many people watch NBA vs. UFC. People also may not be aware that the NBA has a CBA, which isn't a bush league, but a collective bargaining agreement regarding revenues made by the league.

UFC is "Prize Fighting" shall we say. The best get paid, and it will most likely pail in comparison to some of the guys in the NBA over their careers.

FFS, James Harden turned down a 2 year, $103 million dollar extension so he can try and go play on the Nets...crazy. Diva's...gonna Diva.
The beard must live rent free in your head. Lol

Brunson's the UFC equivalent of Megan Rapinoe.

Salaries and unions have nothing to do with the Goof eh?

<mma4>

Just when you think you've heard everything.

I used to think Dana runs the show, but apparently, when it comes to even big match-ups in the old days, Lorenzo Fertitta had to step in.

Now that the UFC are under a new ownership with more investors, Dana is more of a spoke person.

Hypothetically speaking, even if Dana were the only owner and runs the UFC all by himself, the fighters' earnings compared to the NBA players' earnings have little to do with who's running the organization, because the NBA used to pay the players the same salaries (peanuts) that the UFC fighters are earning now before they had the player association/union. This is a quote from an NBA player back in the 40's, 50's:

"I got a $4,000 contract, plus a new Mercury worth $750," he said. "And I earned an extra $2,000 when we won the NBA title.

https://webcache.googleusercontent....94303066-story.html+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

I used to think Dana runs the show, but apparently, when it comes to even big match-ups in the old days, Lorenzo Fertitta had to step in.

Now that the UFC are under a new ownership with more investors, Dana is more of a spoke person.

Hypothetically speaking, even if Dana were the only owner and runs the UFC all by himself, the fighters' earnings compared to the NBA players' earnings have little to do with who's running the organization, because the NBA used to pay the players the same salaries (peanuts) that the UFC fighters are earning now before they had the player association/union.

"I got a $4,000 contract, plus a new Mercury worth $750," he said. "And I earned an extra $2,000 when we won the NBA title.

https://webcache.googleusercontent....94303066-story.html+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

The Fertitta's kept Dana in check but now he has more freedom. Investors aren't telling him what to pay people.

Yes a union obviously makes a difference but Dana is a big part of salaries regardless. He isn't magically taken out of bargaining discussions/agreements because one exists. To assume he has no role in salaries is hilarious.

1230 televised games in a year not including playoffs, and approximately 450 total players during regular season.

The UFC employs generally between 400 and 600 fighters at a time, and holds 30-50 events per year.

There is no grounds for comparison between the UFC and other major sports.

Reactions: lsa
She probably makes about the same as he does tbf. Maybe more.

No doubt about that.

What I meant is that both Brunson and Rapinoe either doesn't understand how their salary is tied to the organisations' revenue, or flat out ignores that.

The Fertitta's kept Dana in check but now he has more freedom. Investors aren't telling him what to pay people.

Yes a union obviously makes a difference but Dana is a big part of salaries regardless. He isn't magically taken out of bargaining discussions/agreements because one exists. To assume he has no role in salaries is hilarious.

I think Dana might be one of the people (the others being the match-makers) who are able to influence those fight of the night bonuses. This is why we see fighters begging cage side after each win.

He might also be able to influence the signing of new prospects (Dana White Contender Series) or keep fighters around even after they go on a few losses (Mike Perry).

However, as far as influencing the current pay to reach the level of modern NBA, NFL, NHL, etc., where the players get around 50% of the revenue, that will not be up to Dana - is what I'm saying.

I think Dana might be one of the people (the others being the match-makers) who are able to influence those fight of the night bonuses. This is why we see fighters begging cage side after each win.

He might also be able to influence the signing of new prospects (Dana White Contender Series) or keep fighters around even after they go on a few consecutive losses (Mike Perry).

However, as far as influencing the current pay to the level of the NBA, NFL, NHL, etc., where the players get around 50% of the revenue, that will not be up to Dana - is what I'm saying.

It's pretty obvious he's the one who makes important decisions and has the final say now, especially on salary, but if you believe differently that's perfectly fine.

Either he's being facetious or are MMA fighters just this clueless (leading to one - sided bargaining in contracts).

Lol the .Nba doesn’t pay out those salary teams do using revenue from attendance and merchandising.

Back