Broke the neck

Dude you were right and I'm so glad too.

I have jiu jitsu at 4 tmrw, that's some positive shit to hear.

I went to BJJ the next day after seeing that video (what was yesterday). Pretty sure I re-injured / partially tore my Lat muscle or intercostal muscles? Or I broke a rib and I'm just an idiot. Either way, at least seeing this is good news and much more important in magnitude.

I am not looking forward to resting for weeks now though if need be...

I went to BJJ the next day after seeing that video (what was yesterday). Pretty sure I re-injured / partially tore my Lat muscle or intercostal muscles? Or I broke a rib and I'm just an idiot. Either way, at least seeing this is good news and much more important in magnitude.

I am not looking forward to resting for weeks now though if need be...

health first bro

It really looks like he was going for a flying armbar or something rather than simply pulling guard,but jesus fuckin christ that really hurt to watch. I aint gonna watch it again to be sure,ill just take your word for it. :/

Definitely going for a flying armbar. And really, he had beautiful movement. He must be an expert at the move and has probably nailed a number of highlight reel flying armbars in the past. Horrible tragedy.

Prayers to him, his family and coaches.

What is disturbing is that he did this himself. I would have thought that even a hard fall at that height would not end up in a permanent paralysis..

Makes you wonder how dangerous Fedor fall was..
I have heard that he actually had damaged his ribs from the way he fell.
Watching Video though it looks like it seemed that the randleplex might as well not even happened at all,which is amazing and scary.

I think I'll stick to neither watching nor listening to it.

As for the weight question: I wonder if weight plays any (significant) role in the likelihood for injuries like that?
Personally I think I would expect the higher weights to be more susceptible to it.
You're absolutely right. The resistability of Bones (and everything) is determined by its cross section area, which is a measurement that's determined by two dimensions. Weight however, is determined by three dimensions. Thus, the ratio from cross section area of the bones to the weight gets further apart the bigger a body gets (assuming the proportions are the same) making it all the more fragile, in relation to its weight.

If you didn't get what i mean, think of this:
Assume that a dice of the measurements 1m/1m/1m weighs 100kg.
Therefore, the bottom area of that dice has to resist a weight loading of 100kg/sqm.
Another dice, has the measurements 2m/2m/2m. Since 2*2*2=8, this dice weighs 800kg. The thing is though, that the bottom area of this dice is only 4sqm - which is why the relative weightloading is twice as high, namely 200kg/sqm.

For this reason, cats (and other small animals) can fall from very high without hurting themselves, while an elephant would break its legs from 1m of falling height or so.
This so called "square cube law" is also the reason why smaller powerlifters can be stronger in relation to their bodyweight than bigger powerlifters.
It's the same reason why some bugs and ants can lift up to 1000 times+ their bodyweight.
It's also the reason why the babies of cold blooded animals are (way) smaller in comparison to their adult size and also why they can afford to already have the same proportions as hatchlings. (E.g. crocodiles).
Mammals on the other hand, always need to sustain a certain temperature to survive, and since the ratio of volume to surface area gets worse in terms of keeping warmth the smaller a body gets, mammalian babies are:
a) rather big as babies, compared to their cold blooded counterparts,
b) in their proportions closer to a ball (short limbs, rounder, thicker bodies) as a ball has the least surface area of all geometrical bodies, enabling it to hold warmth the easiest.

DqUrUVw.gif

giphy.gif

I talked to a really good grappler from my bjj school. He said never roll over your head. Always roll off to one side over the shoulder.

It looks like Fedor tilting to land on his shoulder at the last millisecond is what prevented another possible tragedy.

You're absolutely right. The resistability of Bones (and everything) is determined by its cross section area, which is a measurement that's determined by two dimensions. Weight however, is determined by three dimensions. Thus, the ratio from cross section area of the bones to the weight gets further apart the bigger a body gets (assuming the proportions are the same) making it all the more fragile, in relation to its weight.

+1 for cube-square law factoids. You can drop a mouse or smaller animal from an arbitrary height (in atmosphere) and their terminal velocity is insufficient to create enough force to break their bones upon hitting the ground. As you say, elephants have to be careful walking downhill. Elephants are about the biggest a land-based mammal can be without being physically unable to dissipate the heat their body generates and cooking themselves. On the other side of the spectrum, mammals can't be much smaller than mice or they'd unable to maintain body temperature and immediately die of hypothermia.

Relevant to combat sports, this is also why larger athletes have lower endurance. They get hit twice because they have both lower lung surface area compared to their muscle volume and more mass to move around relative to their absolute strength (driven by muscle cross-section).

Last edited:
+1 for cube-square law factoids. You can drop a mouse or smaller animal from an arbitrary height (in atmosphere) and their terminal velocity is insufficient to create enough force to break their bones upon hitting the ground. As you say, elephants have to be careful walking downhill. Elephants are about the biggest a land-based mammal can be without being physically unable to dissipate the heat their body generates and cooking themselves. On the other side of the spectrum, mammals can't be much smaller than mice or they'd unable to maintain body temperature.
Thanks bud, you name it!
It was quite eye opening when i've read about that for the first time. All of a sudden so much things made sense, and as mentioned it's of course very applicable to combat sports (and sports in general) as well.

, cats (and other small animals) can fall from very high without hurting themselves
Cats naturally also can climb up tree. Like lynx, leopards. They of course sometimes fall down, so naturally their skeleton is genetically pre programmed for it trough generations.
There also some reflexes for more proper breakfall ( ukemi ) than for example rat does have.
Cat definitely have more chances safely land than even for rexample…..rat.

survivability of a fall achieving terminal velocity is directly proportional to the mass of the organism.

rats and cats bounce
people snap
horses splash

Cats naturally also can climb up tree. Like lynx, leopards. They of course sometimes fall down, so naturally their skeleton is genetically pre programmed for it trough generations.
There also some reflexes for more proper breakfall ( ukemi ) than for example rat does have.
Cat definitely have more chances safely land than even for rexample…..rat.
Sure, just saying that being proportionally larger is worse when you fall!

Some good news!
That was a month ago:

And this is recent!

That’s fantastic news. Excellent recovery all things considered.

shin in the pits flying armbar is bad news. same thing happens when you lose your grip in gi. know a few people who've concussed themselves this way. jesus fuck.

how is shin in pits flying armbar worse than regular flying armbar?

I could never do it with shin in pits style, nor do I understand it much. I only can do it the conventional way

how is shin in pits flying armbar worse than regular flying armbar?

I could never do it with shin in pits style, nor do I understand it much. I only can do it the conventional way

There's like a million different things wrong with it and I legit might make a video

Yeah, no way I'm watching that. Even knowing he's making a good recovery, that kind of injury is not something I want to see.

Super inspiring to see him recovering! What a beast

Back