Broke the neck

That was horrible. I wouldn't wish that upon anyone. The snapping noise will haunt.

God bless each and every sherdogger out there.

God damn, the sounds he made, tbh I think I'd rather die than be fully paralyzed. I'd never mentally recover...

Hopefully in the future with stem cells or something of the like that can be available to everyone, things like this could be fixed.

Feel bad man. Any injury is horrible, full body no longer working is basically the worst of the worst.

Hope so. This is very sad to watch. Dude is young, athletic, and has his whole life ahead of him.

'You should try BJJ, they said.'

'You'll have lots of fun, they said.'

Last edited:
Paralyzed for life dude holy fuck. One moment and life as you know it is changed forever.

Gut wrenching to watch, feel sad for him.
This is the thing that scares me the most about the standing phase of grappling. I know, he was doing a "guard" technique (pulling a flying armbar) but the consequences of making a slipup in the standing phase of grappling are huge, and things happen FAST there - I recently did something unwise (reflexively posted and dislocated my elbow) and a split-second lapse in judgement is all it takes to get seriously injured. I feel like more attention needs to be given to just how dangerous the standing phase of grappling really is.

Even on a padded floor not fighting to maintain standing is silly.

Even though he did it to himself....

Ukemi, Ukemi, UKEMI!

That's what Goshin Jujutsu throws originally did.

Tori "lets" Uke take Ukemi.

Even on a padded floor not fighting to maintain standing is silly.

Even though he did it to himself....

Ukemi, Ukemi, UKEMI!

That's what Goshin Jujutsu throws originally did.

Tori "lets" Uke take Ukemi.

As critical as ukemi is, there’s no ukemi that I know of for a failed flying armbar attempt like that. It would be suicidally dangerous to practice.

But honestly, he did it to himself, shouldn't doing all that extra flexing stuff

Fake technique that should be removed cromfthe art.

THANK YOU to those who warned to turn down the volume. Watching it was bad enough. I don't want to hear the poor young man scream.

Feel so bad for this man. This is a nightmare scenario for me.

What could he or his opponent have done differently? How can this be prevented in the future?

What happened that led to this?

Less Instagram. Young guys are going to be tempted by impressive, acrobatic, and highly aggressive moves without really considering the risks. That's sort of the defining characteristic of a 20-something man. Even though it's seldom this catastrophic, bad landings from flying submissions and highly dynamic takedowns are pretty frequent.

Once he left the ground, though, his trajectory was set; there was nothing he or his opponent could have done to stop it.

let’s not jump the gun - prayers for this young man

it happened extremely recently - seems like sherdog doctors already labeled him permanently disabled but people come back from very serious injuries

No, one sherdogger pulled up an article from the Russian doctors saying the man won't be able to use his limbs, aka is paralyzed, aka is quadriplegic most likely.

Who knows if that's 100% accurate but why should we go off anything else if the source seems legit.

That just sucks. He went for a flying arm-bar, he didn't have any grips or hooks really (or lost them), and his opponent also kind of applied force to rotate him faster, shucked / shoved him in a way, and a very tragic and unlucky event occurred.

To the guy saying he doesn't want to start BJJ because of this. @Adamant ..well that's a dumb reason. This shit doesn't happen frequently at all, it's extremely rare and this guy was doing a flying armbar. Put things into perspective, you have a better chance of dying in a car crash, MUCH better odds, than you being paralyzed or even less- but also - severe injuries from grappling.

Grappling injures are more long term for 99%. Sure you can tear ligaments, and have acute injuries, but mainly it's the long term wear and tear on the neck, shoulders, lowerback, and (knees if you wrestle/do leg locks frequently and unsafely) that you should worried about, but again that's you being sore or damaged when you're 50-70 more than you would be otherwise so who cares.

No, one sherdogger pulled up an article from the Russian doctors saying the man won't be able to use his limbs, aka is paralyzed, aka is quadriplegic most likely.

Who knows if that's 100% accurate but why should we go off anything else if the source seems legit.

That just sucks. He went for a flying arm-bar, he didn't have any grips or hooks really (or lost them), and his opponent also kind of applied force to rotate him faster, shucked / shoved him in a way, and a very tragic and unlucky event occurred.

To the guy saying he doesn't want to start BJJ because of this. @Adamant ..well that's a dumb reason. This shit doesn't happen frequently at all, it's extremely rare and this guy was doing a flying armbar. Put things into perspective, you have a better chance of dying in a car crash, MUCH better odds, than you being paralyzed or even less- but also - severe injuries from grappling.

Grappling injures are more long term for 99%. Sure you can tear ligaments, and have acute injuries, but mainly it's the long term wear and tear on the neck, shoulders, lowerback, and (knees if you wrestle/do leg locks frequently and unsafely) that you should worried about, but again that's you being sore or damaged when you're 50-70 more than you would be otherwise so who cares.

the article is accurate - but it literally just happened - it’s a very preliminary diagnosis

hopefully it is recoverable - i was referring to the people who were saying it’s permeant and that they couldn’t live like that

it’s apparently “stroke paralysis” not a doctor but there seems to be some hope

https://www.flintrehab.com/2019/chances-of-recovery-from-stroke-paralysis/

the article is accurate - but it literally just happened - it’s a very preliminary diagnosis

hopefully it is recoverable - i was referring to the people who were saying it’s permeant and that they couldn’t live like that

it’s apparently “stroke paralysis” not a doctor but there seems to be some hope

https://www.flintrehab.com/2019/chances-of-recovery-from-stroke-paralysis/

I want to say that's the same thing that happened to Ryan Shazier?

If you know who that is...MLB for the Steelers who got paralyzed on field a few years back, but at this point he can 'sort of' walk on his own, or fully walk on his own but weakly, and he was shown deadlifting 135 lbs or so I think, or less weight.

Well that's at least more optimistic than being quadriplegic. And I mean...I actually used to care for someone semi-regularly who was quadriplegic, to feed them and visit them pretty often. So yeah I'm familiar with what that's like. While some people are saying "rather die" and suicide stuff, and it is callous to some extent...I also agree with them to some extent. It depends on the person and their circle of friends/family/support and outlook on life really. Idk.

I think I saw his leg move just a bit under it's own power after buddy took his hands off of it. I hope I saw it anyways. Hard to watch shit like that, really hope he can avoid paralysis.

Possible spinal shock neurotranamitter spillover. If his neck broke and his spinal cord was severed, they wont know the extent of his capabilities for at least a month or so.

Sad as shit :(

Man, that was awful. The opponent didnt do anything mean, just avoided getting his arm trapped.

Shit like that makes me realize im right when i roll like a nagging pussy always asking if it is ok.

MRI of the injury

Attachments

• Xaw4NHH_d.jpg
    Xaw4NHH_d.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 17
0 chances recover I think.
Now journalists will know how dangerous are grappling arts and talk a lot about death risks in media.

Back