brendon shaub "k-1 striking doesnt work in mma"

Schaubs an idiot. Izzy called him out on it, and he proceeded to deny it, even though there's video evidence lol. Schaub analytic skills really give you an insight into why he was never that great of a fighter. He got by on his b/c level athleticism in an ancient division. Got KO'd by anyone with a pulse. Red goof was actually right to tell Izzy not to listen to Brenda, unless he wanted to know how to get KO'd.
Pretty sure when Schaub said it that time he was talking about Saki when he got fucking starched in the first round. Adesanya thought he was talking about him because I think they fought on the same card.

Israel has fought in Glory although he has been very vocal but how dutch style is trash.
Really? Got any links? Sounds like an interesting read/listen.

it all depends on the level of the K1 fighter and is he able to learn to get effective tdd as quick as possible. Thats what Adesanya has done but someone else with a good K1 background could come into the UFC and get starched.
Nah, I'd lean towards favorable match-ups rather than well-rounded mma skills for Israel's mma career.

Just like he said angles in mma are different than those in boxing during the mcg/Floyd fight... and we know how that ended.

Really? Got any links? Sounds like an interesting read/listen.
I don't have the particular link anymore but watch his glory fight interviews. There should be a few left online. He speaks about some dutch style fighters and their "strong" style. He calls them the stand and bang guys.
He even describes how dutch fighters will hit gloves/shields to start their combo and he thinks it is stupid since he doesn't let them hit him so they get confused/unable to mount offense when they hit air.
On a funny note, he did lose to a few k1 styled fighters. The guy who knocked him out is transitioning to MMA but I doubt he will be as effective as Israel.

He's right

Kickboxing is the lowest quality stiking base

Karate and boxing + wrestling are the best base

I dont think him beating a 43 year old Silva by decision means too much

He beat Anderson decisively and didn't put himself in a dangerous situation where he could get knocked out. He still landed a lot and threw a couple potential kill shots but Anderson dodged those like only he could. That's why the fight was so good. So many idiots online (I'm not saying you're one of them) just think that any fight that doesn't end in a slugfest ko or tap is a bad fight. Some decisions can be good, even ones where both guys have agreed to stand up for it.

It translates okay but the glove size, the threat of the takedown, etc can lead to a supposed great K1 striker getting KO'd in MMA. Sometimes they worry too much about the takedown and get caught with small gloved fists. It's tougher to block with MMA gloves and if you are focusing on stopping a takedown you may underestimate what kind of punches could come your way.

Brandon is gonna Brandon...It wasn't like Adensanya is much better version of Anderson, he's super talented and is really coming into his own, but a 43-44 year old Anderson with a 2 year lay off was able to go the distance with him and got the better of some the exchanges, especially the ones with more of the boxing range.

Anderson is still a tough guy to beat even at this point in his career and we all remember how good he was at his best, he got knocked out by Weidman 6 years ago and is still doing the damn thing....way past his prime.

I think he means just because you competed in K-1, it doesn't mean you're going to smoke every MMA fighter standing, which is true.

I firmly believe pretty much every striking art, that isn't boxing, directly translates to MMA right off the hop... You have to learn TDD of course, but if you're training a striking art that has 8 points of attack (fists, feet, knees, and elbows) you'll do just fine in MMA. Boxing has a harder time because you only train 2 points of attack (fists). Boxers have to retrain simple things like distance because kicking completely changes everything you've learned about distance.

Pretty much on point. Also, when it comes to boxing, stance.

Pretty sure when Schaub said it that time he was talking about Saki when he got fucking starched in the first round. Adesanya thought he was talking about him because I think they fought on the same card.

i just saw a defensive problem on saki because he wanted to block that shot like he has big gloves (like in k-1).

i just saw a defensive problem on saki because he wanted to block that shot like he has big gloves (like in k-1).
Well exactly, it doesn't translate directly because of things like that. It takes time to adapt to MMA, can't just cross over without respecting the differences in the sport. Israel has done that Saki not so much it seems.

This is an example of half baked broski/meathead analysis in action. Everything has to be adapted to the MMA context or it "won't work" (more like work poorly against experienced people with decent skill sets). A pure K1 striker without some kind of TDD and ground game is going to get smashed against a guy with MMA experience and good wrestling skills in an MMA fight 99/100 times. He can probably have spectacular success against low level guys vulnerable to K1 level striking, but to really go somewhere he needs to develop other skills.

Posting anything Schaub says ought to be an automatic wasteland and ban.

Or a separate sub-forum for "Rogan or his buddies say dumb shit on a podcast" youtube videos

He also said "Who is going to be Israel at 185? Who? I'll wait". Then goes on to say Till is the only one with a chance. Also "Mittrione vs Kharitonov is an amazing main event". "Brandon Girtz is a MONSTER!"

Guy is an absolute moron.

Back