Brendan Schaub: Dominick Cruz would outstrike Floyd Mayweather

purely standup....I'd still give Mayweather the edge. Posters around here tend to get extremely defensive whenever anyone suggests the possibility of a Floyd vs. "MMA fighter" matchup and the first thing they point to is leg kicks. While it is likely that Floyd is likely not conditioned to take leg kicks in the same way that a typical MMA fighter is, it's not like he's guaranteed to crumble in agony at first contact. There's this unfounded assumption that a badass superstar pro boxer, who has competed in literally hundreds (possibly thousands) of boxing matches throughout his lifetime will suddenly become a bitch the moment someone kicks his leg and I just don't believe that. They could affect him or he could counter off the kick; we don't know. What we do know is that Cruz is not a devastating leg kicker like a Jose Aldo, Edson Barboza, Thiago Alves, Pat Barry etc. If we were talking Aldo vs. Mayweather, then yes, leg kick defense would be a major question mark. With Cruz, I think Mayweather could probably overcome that and when it comes to hand speed, boxing defense, angles, punching accuracy and precision...come on, son!

That said, none of that matters. If they were to fight in a cage or on the street, the fight would be over in under a minute with Mayweather unconscious and/or bleeding profusely. Why? Because Cruz has those well-rounded skillz so fear not, MMA fans. The sport is safe.

If you actually knew something about boxing you would know how hard it is to master the philly shell and to even think thats the only boxing style Mayweather could use is just stupid. Mayweathers brilliance is that he is so hard to hit and even if you hit him you barely hits him clean. Not to mention hes timing which makes you pay if you do something sloppy.

Mayweather has walked down fighters before and Cruz doesnt hit hard enough to keep him away from him and would give him no space to fire any kicks. And what do you even mean by bobbing low and turning away, please explain.

I dont have a problem with anyone saying Cruz would win, my problem was hes ridicolous statements and claiming he would do it easy just like you did. To say a wrestlers turned mma fighter would without a problem beat the best boxer of this generation is just silly.
And way to make yourself look like a idiot by calling me a tit, just go away.

It doesn't matter if the philly shell is hard to master, it won't work in mma.

Mayweather would get tied up as soon as he gets in boxing range, and eat knees for his efforts.

and bobbing low and turning away, see his fight against Hatton, turning his back and putting his head through the ropes.

He's right, the threat of the takedowns and leg kicks would throw Floyd off and Cruz would get to do what he wants

Sherdog fan favorite Brendan Schaub has a podcast with Bryan Callen and in the latest episode Brendan claimes that Cruz would be able to outstrike Mayweather in a standning mma fight. He mentions once a mma fight but he talks about it like its only standup.

Here is some quotes

"Dominick Cruz would tear him a new"
"In the octagon Dominic Cruz would pick him apart, on the feet"

Bryan Callen doesnt belive him and Brendan tell us its not even up for discussion and brings up leg kicks and Dominick Cruz crazy angles.

"And Dominicks angles, the best in the game"

Even if Mayweather got to prepare with learning kick defense he would lose because of Dominicks superior head movement and angles.
He ends with saying he guarante Dominick would pick him a part.

The podcast is called The fighter and the kid if you want to listen.
Your thoughts on this, would Dominick beat Floyd in a mma standup fight?

everytime this ham and egger opens his mouth,.garbage comes out....dont know if he is really this stupid or just a great troll.....

It doesn't matter if the philly shell is hard to master, it won't work in mma.

Mayweather would get tied up as soon as he gets in boxing range, and eat knees for his efforts.

and bobbing low and turning away, see his fight against Hatton, turning his back and putting his head through the ropes.

Why do you even reply when you dont even read what i was saying?

Floyd startegy would most likely be pressure and stay in boxing range and fire of one off the fastest jabs in combat sport history. Its laughable to think Floyd only could use the philly shell.

First of all they were talking about a striking match. Do you consider constant clinching a striking match? And even if you did, how come someone like Robert Guerrero couldnt do anything since Floyd was able to glue himself onto Guerrero until the ref stepped in. They were most likely talking about K-1 rules.

And what would Cruz actually be able to do if Mayweather did any of that bobbing low and turning away you are talking about considering a 43-0 boxer got stopped in that fight. I dont think a tactic he used six years ago is really relevant now anyway.

Last edited:
purely standup....I'd still give Mayweather the edge. Posters around here tend to get extremely defensive whenever anyone suggests the possibility of a Floyd vs. "MMA fighter" matchup and the first thing they point to is leg kicks. While it is likely that Floyd is likely not conditioned to take leg kicks in the same way that a typical MMA fighter is, it's not like he's guaranteed to crumble in agony at first contact. There's this unfounded assumption that a badass superstar pro boxer, who has competed in literally hundreds (possibly thousands) of boxing matches throughout his lifetime will suddenly become a bitch the moment someone kicks his leg and I just don't believe that. They could affect him or he could counter off the kick; we don't know. What we do know is that Cruz is not a devastating leg kicker like a Jose Aldo, Edson Barboza, Thiago Alves, Pat Barry etc. If we were talking Aldo vs. Mayweather, then yes, leg kick defense would be a major question mark. With Cruz, I think Mayweather could probably overcome that and when it comes to hand speed, boxing defense, angles, punching accuracy and precision...come on, son!

That said, none of that matters. If they were to fight in a cage or on the street, the fight would be over in under a minute with Mayweather unconscious and/or bleeding profusely. Why? Because Cruz has those well-rounded skillz so fear not, MMA fans. The sport is safe.

All legs kicks are devastating when thrown right, which Dominick does, and that goes double for people who's not used to taking them.

Why do you even reply when you dont even read what is was saying?

Floyd startegy would most likely be pressure and stay in boxing range and fire of one off the fastest jabs in combat sport history. Its laughable to think Floyd only could use the philly shell.

First of all they were talking about a striking match. Do you consider constant clinching a striking match? And even if you did, how come someone like Robert Guerrero couldnt do anything since Floyd was able to glue himself onto Guerrero until the ref stepped in. They were most likely talking about K-1 rules.

And what would Cruz actually be able to do if Mayweather did any of that bobbing low and turning away you are talking about considering a 43-0 boxer got stopped in that fight.

Clinching is part of striking, and Guerrero couldn't do anything because he's not a wrestler with the ability to fire knees into his stomach and face with any sort of space.

And Cruz could kick him in his fucking chops with his back turned like that.

1omys2.gif

Clinching is part of striking, and Guerrero couldn't do anything because he's not a wrestler with the ability to fire knees into his stomach and face with any sort of space.

And Cruz could kick him in his fucking chops with his back turned like that.

1omys2.gif

Guerrero has been able to dominate almost all of hes wins in the clinch but he couldnt against Floyd, and the clinch is actually a grappling technique.

Wikipedia writes this about clinching "is the part of stand-up fighting where the combatants are grappling in a clinch" So clinching is more of a grappling that happens in the stand up. There is a reason refs breaks fighter up quickly in the clinch in boxing, muay thai and kickboxing. Its because its a grappling technique.

Please give me a complet list of when Floyd has turned hes back against hes opponent and run off.
Which never happend. And that gif you posted happens all the time in mma right.

I have seen it twice.

All floyd would need is pressure and hes jab to keep Cruz away. Its scary to think how much more effective hes jab would be with 4 oz gloves, not to mention hes hand speed.

Last edited:
He only says these foolish things all the time to get headlines. He needs attention.

Yellow Post

I think he's trying to borrow a page from the master of chatter, Chael however Schaub is failing miserably in this regard. The tell-tale sign at his attempt at professional trolling was when he mentioned his brand. He could at least disguise it...he fails on so many levels.

Even with kicks Dominick Cruz stands no chance against Mayweather. Take downs are a different story though, but a stand up fight? Really? REALLY?

Every single time Cruz commits to a strike he's in danger.

Cruz is out of balance almost all the time with his "weird style/angles".. he would get dropped multiple times by Floyd.

Someone like Barao with tighter defense and strong kicks would have a much better chance against Floyd.

With MMA rules, of course he would. In a boxing ring? Cruz would get destroyed.

Schaub is just stating the obvious, there is nothing controversial about what he said, lol.

Even with kicks Dominick Cruz stands no chance against Mayweather. Take downs are a different story though, but a stand up fight? Really? REALLY?

I think Schaub is implying that the threat of takedowns would still have to be factored in by Mayweather. After all, takedowns are a part of MMA, and that's the ruleset suggested.

Assuming Mayweather would have to alter his stance and his hand positioning accordingly to defend takedowns AND kicks + elbows + knees...? ...yeah, he would be fucked.

I think Schaub is implying that the threat of takedowns would still have to be factored in by Mayweather. After all, takedowns are a part of MMA, and that's the ruleset suggested.

"standing mma fight, Cruz would pick him apart" is what i'm reading. No chance for Cruz there, but wrestling would save his life in a mma fight.

There are people here that legitimately think Floyd would out strike Cruz in Mma? Oh my.

I think Mayweather would catch him back pedaling and lay him out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back