Brendan Schaub: Dominick Cruz would outstrike Floyd Mayweather

Of course he would. Mayweather is not an MMA fighter. He took one punch to the thigh from Canelo and needed to get a massage afterward. Any competent kicker would chop him down after a few leg kicks

This, Aldo's leg kicks would be Floyd's worst nightmare

Learning how to defend leg kicks is just the first step. It literally takes years to condition your legs to be able to eat more than a couple good ones.

Cruz is a smaller guy

No he isn't. MMA fighters cut far more weight than your average boxer, and Mayweather cuts hardly any. On fightnight, Mayweather is usually around 152 I think, I bet Cruz is round about that as well, as he is big for a bantamweight. Cruz fought at featherweight in the WEC, and at lightweight earlier in his career, whereas Mayweather started his world title run at 130lbs (superfeather) in boxing. There's nothing to suggest either guy is naturally bigger than the other.

cruz is bigger then mayweather.

i don't mind schaub, but he doesn't really know how to talk on a podcast, he buts in way to often and seems to say some really silly shit, Bryan Callen is brilliant tho

dominick-cruz-and-mayweather.png

no he isn't.

pretty boy floyd destroys cruz. even with leg kicks.

No he isn't. MMA fighters cut far more weight than your average boxer, and Mayweather cuts hardly any. On fightnight, Mayweather is usually around 152 I think, I bet Cruz is round about that as well, as he is big for a bantamweight. Cruz fought at featherweight in the WEC, and at lightweight earlier in his career, whereas Mayweather started his world title run at 130lbs (superfeather) in boxing. There's nothing to suggest either guy is naturally bigger than the other.

pic below, smart ass. that's mayweather almost done training camp and cruz off season.

gtfo.

For the life of me, I still cannot grasp why fucktards continue to compare Boxers & MMA fighters. It's 2 totally different sports, not even in the same god damn parallel universe. The ONLY thing Boxers and MMA fights have in common is that they punch people for a living. Outside of that, EVERY fucking is different.

Jesus.

For the life of me, I still cannot grasp why fucktards continue to compare Boxers & MMA fighters. It's 2 totally different sports, not even in the same god damn parallel universe. The ONLY thing Boxers and MMA fights have in common is that they punch people for a living. Outside of that, EVERY fucking is different.

Jesus.

Its a discussion forum fruit cake.

What do you think your whining accomplished? Let me tell you, nothing but a plus one for your post count.

Mayweather would be a BW in the UFC. Dude walks around and fights at like 152ish.

Mayweather would be a BW in the UFC. Dude walks around and fights at like 152ish.

More like 145 at the lowest. Floyd's always in shape. His walk around weight isn't the walk-around weight of a Johny Hendricks who's fat as hell when he's not fighting.

More like 145 at the lowest. Floyd's always in shape. His walk around weight isn't the walk-around weight of a Johny Hendricks who's fat as hell when he's not fighting.

Yeah. Probably some flyweights in the UFC that walk around bigger when they don't have a fight coming up. A lot of people don't realize how tiny Floyd actually is.

Well yeah, exactly. When people are fighting guys like GSP, Frankie Edgar or, for the sake of argument, Dominick Cruz, even while striking, the threat of the takedowns must be considered. If that would be the case with Mayweather aswell, the odds would heavily favour Cruz even while standing up.

Mayweather is the best counter-puncher in combat sports today. Cruz would not outstrike him on the feet.
It is that simple.

And get real, If takedowns were allowed, Cruz wouldn't even waste time throwing punches.

i don't think Cruz would outstrike him with kicks- see schaub saying cruz would outstrike him even if mayweather learn to defend leg kicks? are you serious?

have you seen Mayweather hand speed with big boxing gloves,now take MMA gloves which are 3 times lighter and mayweather would outstrike cruz from range of his low kicks.

In MMA striking, yeah sure I can see it. Too many things Mayweather would have to adjust to.

This is assuming you threw Mayweather in there against Cruz with full Muay Thai rules and Mayweather gets minimal cross training.

All floyd would need is pressure and hes jab to keep Cruz away. Its scary to think how much more effective hes jab would be with 4 oz gloves, not to mention hes hand speed.

How can he use a jab when he'd get teeped and low kicked all day?

How can he use a jab when he'd get teeped and low kicked all day?

Mayweather would be the one controlling the range, and he is very rarely square to his opponent.

Cruz isnt landing anything all day.

Do you guys know what makes Floyd special? Its the control of range and the patience/awareness when strikes are thrown. His mind and body is still faster than Cruz at 37, 38, 39.

Kicks, elbows, spinning flying shots, Floyd is going to the same thing. Keep his distance, make you miss, make you desperate and make you pay.

Last edited:
Yeah. Probably some flyweights in the UFC that walk around bigger when they don't have a fight coming up. A lot of people don't realize how tiny Floyd actually is.

No, I'm saying he'd fight at 145. Floyd's not tiny. He's shredded even when he's not fighting. That's my point. Canelo had 22 pounds on him during the fight but that's because Canelo's massive. Floyd wouldn't wanna fight anywhere below 145 because he's filled out as a welterweight. Cutting that much weight affects your athleticism.

Back