Brendan Schaub: Dominick Cruz would outstrike Floyd Mayweather

"standing mma fight" is what i'm reading. No chance for Cruz there, but wrestling would save his life in a mma fight.

Well yeah, exactly. When people are fighting guys like GSP, Frankie Edgar or, for the sake of argument, Dominick Cruz, even while striking, the threat of the takedowns must be considered. If that would be the case with Mayweather aswell, the odds would heavily favour Cruz even while standing up.

Q0FCy.gif

Thats one way to shut up Schaub!

He would, purely because of the leg kicks...purely fists in an Octagon? Cruz gets KO'd. Cruz is a smaller guy plus those small gloves are no joke.
Cruz is bigger than Mayweather. Mayweather has moved way up past his natural weight class chasing the big money. Mayweather woke up at 146 the day of the Canelo fight. Cruz walks around at 160.

There are people here that legitimately think Floyd would out strike Cruz in Mma? Oh my.

People actually think Cruz would strike with Floyd in MMA? Oh my.

If he throws a punch he is in range of one of the greatest counter fighters alive. Distance, range, all the differences would quickly be gone when Cruz gets within arm reach of Money.

i can't stand mayweather, but honestly who cares.

The dude is a boxer, and nothing else.

He has never claimed to be a kickboxer, a mma fighter, or anything, and is making more money than the entire UFC roster combined.

People actually think Cruz would strike with Floyd in MMA? Oh my.

If he throws a punch he is in range of one of the greatest counter fighters alive. Distance, range, all the differences would quickly be gone when Cruz gets within arm reach of Money.

1. Mayweather can't even spell kick how is he going to defend them?
2. Mayweather has never fought in a cage before.
3. Cruz has many tools standing up and all he has to worry about is floyds hands, while Floyd has to worry about strikes that he's never been hit wish before (knees, low kicks, body kicks, high kicks. Etc.)

Cruz via first round TKO via a barrage of kicks to the body, head, and legs.

1. Mayweather can't even spell kick how is he going to defend them?
2. Mayweather has never fought in a cage before.
3. Cruz has many tools standing up and all he has to worry about is floyds hands, while Floyd has to worry about strikes that he's never been hit wish before (knees, low kicks, body kicks, high kicks. Etc.)

Cruz via first round TKO via a barrage of kicks to the body, head, and legs.

1 and 2 don't mean anything.

You don't think Floyd can continue to make space until Cruz uses to his hands, just once? Have you seen him box? He's extremely comfortable when strikes are coming at him. He is much quicker and more powerful.

# of tools have never, and will never equal effectiveness.

Cruz wouldn't land shit, he would fail his limbs around embarrassingly and revert to being a wrestler.

When Cruz gets into striking range, he's going to get punished by a quicker, smarter, better, more powerful striker. He's not going to run and jab Mayweather like he usually does. Money cruises through Cruz via Cruz style fight.

He is probably right. Floyd is unproven against someone who knows how to kick.

I see that Brendan is making great progress after having that elective lobotomy.

Cruz's angles work for mma...in boxing they'd get him ko'd though.

if he just kicked at floyd & moved away he'd win the mma stand up most likely

Cruz's angles work for mma...in boxing they'd get him ko'd though.

if he just kicked at floyd & moved away he'd win the mma stand up most likely

Exactly. At best he plays patty cakes on Money's legs. Once in range, Money is much much smarter and quicker. Money won't even let Cruz into range until he wants too.

Speed, IQ, Power, Footwork > Kicks.

Cruz would have his head knocked off leg kicks or not in a pure stand up fight. To beat Floyd standing requires a monstrous kicker to additionally push kick to create distance + a solid chin to remain conscious if a punch connects.

[Qt]"And Dominicks angles, the best in the game"

Even if Mayweather got to prepare with learning kick defense he would lose because of Dominicks superior head movement and angles.*He ends with saying he guarante Dominick would pick him a part.[/qt]

Lmao!!!! Cruz angles and head movement cant even compare with mayweather even on his worst day.

I agree with Schaub.

And if you're in the crowd who says 'he'd only need a month to learn leg kick defense', you're kidding yourself and I suggest you go to the gym and learn it. It's not that simple and someone who's been doing it for years will invariably destroy your legs if you've just recently started learning the discipline

how is it that guys like Gus or Phil Davis can be primarily one dimensional in their MMA arsenal/training and still be top guys in their division

He's right, the threat of the takedowns and leg kicks would throw Floyd off and Cruz would get to do what he wants

he said a stand up fight, Cruz's movement looks good compared to the mostly rudimentary movement of MMA fighters...Mayweather's on another level

Back