Breaking: Frankie Edgar vs. Chad Mendes Headlines TUF 22 Finale (Poll)

I could see this turning into a plodding boxing match and Frankie out pointing him from the outside. Chad does have the advantage of his teammate just having fought Frankie, though.

I was thinking the same thing.

If Mendes loses this one, that pushes him far from another title shot. I think Frankie wins a comfortable UD after losing the first two rounds.

Whoa didn't see this coming. I think Chad knocks out Frankie but I'm picking Frankie to win via decision.

This makes the least sense of anything Ive ever read, and thats saying something.

Anyway, Frankie by dec

Chad won't be spamming overhands like Faber. Hell he might go for TD's just to prove a point to Frankie. I sure wish Edgar would work more on his subs from his back.
I think spamming takedowns would be a bad idea for Chad. He'll just burn out energy. His best chance is the catch Frankie on the feet within the first two rounds.

They want to keep Frankie as far away from Macgregor as possible and this is the best chance of doing it... Edgar gets the decision.

Remind me who was the "two second best guys" when Frankie and Cub fought?

How many times does Frankie need to prove that he IS the second best guy and that he deserves a title shot. Damn.

Great fight. It's just horrible timing.

Cub is my favorite fighter in that division. But he was never the second best guy and he has always had a weak ground game. I hated that matchup because I knew it was gonna break Cub's momentum.

Cub is also Frankie's only top 10 win in that division. Given he has already had his title shot and lost decisively, he should definitely have to fight the other contenders in that division. And the one everyone wants to see is Mendes.

Chad will take this fight because he's going to be on fire after losing to Conor. He's not going to stay the Prince of Aldoland by stacking up losses. Plus, Edgar while showing amazing recovery ability has had some issues with his chin in the past.

I think Chad has the speed and power to drop Edgar and the wrestling skills to make Edgar divert some of his defensive attention away from the striking to make sure he doesn't get taken down and battered.

Yeah, I wanted to see that one for years, and never would have guessed it would suck like it did.

I love frankie, but if he's going against someone that he can't out grapple, then you better bet your ass that fight will be a decision with Edgar working off the jab the whole fight. I don't blame Edgar, I blame the ufc for their shitty match making. There's only a handfull of guys who can compete in the wrestling/grappling department with Edgar at 155lbs or below, yet the UFC somehow feels the need to match Edgar up with all of them. Of course he's going to out point them on the feet; he's not exactly a power puncher. If you want an exciting Edgar fight, then wait till he fights someone like Conor.

I think spamming takedowns would be a bad idea for Chad. He'll just burn out energy. His best chance is the catch Frankie on the feet within the first two rounds.

True. While I don't think he will be spamming, I wouldn't be surprised if he does indeed try and go for one just to see if he can and to show Frankie he can take him down. If he can that is.

frankie matches up better against Connor. Bull that he doesn't just get the next shot.

Good fight though.

Frankie UD

Good fight and it makes sense as nobody wants to see Aldo vs Frankie/Chad III

I love frankie, but if he's going against someone that he can't out grapple, then you better bet your ass that fight will be a decision with Edgar working off the jab the whole fight. I don't blame Edgar, I blame the ufc for their shitty match making. There's only a handfull of guys who can compete in the wrestling/grappling department with Edgar at 155lbs or below, yet the UFC somehow feels the need to match Edgar up with all of them. Of course he's going to out point them on the feet; he's not exactly a power puncher. If you want an exciting Edgar fight, then wait till he fights someone like Conor.

Yeah, I just thought that Faber would be fast enough to make Frankie's usual footwork/jabfest not so easy an option. As it turned out, Frankie still had a slight speed advantage, and that was all he needed. Edgar did show some superior grappling later in that fight as well, which was impressive. Snoozer overall though. I had wanted to see those two fight for years.

And yeah, a fight with Conor is a whole 'nother ball o' wax.

I agree. Fortunately the UFC, like everybody else, continues to underestimate Frankie Edgar.

Stylistically Chad poses some problems for Fe.
He is a strong wrestler with decent striking + power. Sound familiar? Well, he's better than that guy and faster.

Sorry bro Prime Maynard packs way more power than Mendes. Finishing ability doesn't equal punching power, Maynard literally punched Frankie so hard he flipped backwards like Brock vs Herring. It's obvious they're trying to screw Edgar but it's clear ufc isn't about the best fighting the best anymore.

Back