Breaking: Frankie Edgar vs. Chad Mendes Headlines TUF 22 Finale (Poll)

Hasn't been reported by any major US sites yet, but if this is true, UFC really going out of their way to hope Edgar loses. It wont matter because Aldo is destroying Conor, but still, this seems like an odd move.

Edgars MMA wrestling is better in my opinion. Edgar in transitions is also better.

He's better at mixing in his takedowns with his combinations but I feel like that's about it. I don't think his wrestling is good enough to dictate where this fight goes.

they should have done edgar vs holloway.

If mendes wins, I really don't wanna see him fight for the title again.

If they did that then they ruin Max's marketability.
Which is why this fight sucks, too. They should have matched Fe & Chad against Lamas and Cub.

Also, this fight better be 5 rounds and in the big octagon.

Damn, I'm a little surprised by this. Crazy ass fight. Featherweight is never going to look the same way again after. I'm gonna take Frankie via cardio machine.

Never thought I'd actually root for Mendes to win a fight.

Ehhh... good fight but certainly smells of protectionism. Mendes, fresh off a loss, fighting a guy on the streak and arguably deserving a title shot? Especially considering Mendes is the greatest threat stylistically through the (non-belt) division to Frankie? Seems like they are trying to derail the biggest divisional threat to Conor (which would be Frankie) to be honest.

He's better at mixing in his takedowns with his combinations but I feel like that's about it. I don't think his wrestling is good enough to dictate where this fight goes.

Oh, I don't think either will have the wrestling advantage in this fight. Except maybe in the later rounds I can see Edgar out pacing Mendes, but if you ask me who's the more dangerous grappler? I'll say Edgar hands down. Mendes Is great at take downs, but once he's on top he's like a nice cuddly teddy bear compared to edgar on top. I doubt either get's the other down for long in this fight though.

Hasn't been reported by any major US sites yet, but if this is true, UFC really going out of their way to hope Edgar loses. It wont matter because Aldo is destroying Conor, but still, this seems like an odd move.

Edgar is better than Mendes. You make no sense

I'm not a conspiracy theorist but damn it's obvious how much they're protecting Conor from Frankie.

This is the best fight at FW, imo but the worst possible time. There isn't a tougher fight from Frankie right now and one that makes less sense considering Chad just lost 2 title fights in his last 3. Big fan of Mendes but I'm pulling for Frankie so he can get his title shot, Aldo or Mcgregor. The dude is a beast.

I think that's part of it, but I also think they just dont want frankie in another title fight. So, how do they do that? put frankie against the toughest guy possible, the toughest stylistic match up possibe, and hope that guy (mendes) knocks frankie off. Oh, and since Mendes already had multiple shots at a title and a shot at an interim belt, they wont have to worry if he wins, they can just give the title shot to Max and say "Mendes has had his chances"

That's how I think the ufc thinks.

Not a bad way to think from a business stand point, they know what they are doing.

Ehhh... good fight but certainly smells of protectionism. Mendes, fresh off a loss, fighting a guy on the streak and arguably deserving a title shot? Especially considering Mendes is the greatest threat stylistically through the (non-belt) division to Frankie? Seems like they are trying to derail the biggest divisional threat to Conor (which would be Frankie) to be honest.

At least you've confirmed that if I am crazy, then I'm not the only one.

Mendes is going to keep his hands real low to avoid the takedown. Honestly, he could be the first to KO Frankie. I cannot pick a winner in this fight, I've learned to never go against FE

I'm not a conspiracy theorist but damn it's obvious how much they're protecting Conor from Frankie.

This is the best fight at FW, imo but the worst possible time. There isn't a tougher fight from Frankie right now and one that makes less sense considering Chad just lost 2 title fights in his last 3. Big fan of Mendes but I'm pulling for Frankie so he can get his title shot, Aldo or Mcgregor. The dude is a beast.

It's out in the open at this point. This is twice they've screwed Frankie, he was the obvious replacement for Jose and now he should have been fighting Holloway.

YES. I thought this fight would never happen. Finally we see the two second best guys in the division square off. Well, third best now due to Conor.

Mendes wins if his gas tank holds up.

Oh, I don't think either will have the wrestling advantage in this fight. Except maybe in the later rounds I can see Edgar out pacing Mendes, but if you ask me who's the more dangerous grappler? I'll say Edgar hands down. Mendes Is great at take downs, but once he's on top he's like a nice cuddly teddy bear compared to edgar on top. I doubt either get's the other down for long in this fight though.

I could see this turning into a plodding boxing match and Frankie out pointing him from the outside. Chad does have the advantage of his teammate just having fought Frankie, though.

YES. I thought this fight would never happen. Finally we see the two second best guys in the division square off. Well, third best now due to Conor.

Mendes wins if his gas tank holds up.

Remind me who was the "two second best guys" when Frankie and Cub fought?

How many times does Frankie need to prove that he IS the second best guy and that he deserves a title shot. Damn.

Great fight. It's just horrible timing.

I think that's part of it, but I also think they just dont want frankie in another title fight. So, how do they do that? put frankie against the toughest guy possible, the toughest stylistic match up possibe, and hope that guy (mendes) knocks frankie off. Oh, and since Mendes already had multiple shots at a title and a shot at an interim belt, they wont have to worry if he wins, they can just give the title shot to Max and say "Mendes has had his chances"

That's how I think the ufc thinks.

I agree. Fortunately the UFC, like everybody else, continues to underestimate Frankie Edgar.

Edgar is better than Mendes. You make no sense

Stylistically Chad poses some problems for Fe.
He is a strong wrestler with decent striking + power. Sound familiar? Well, he's better than that guy and faster.

Chad won't be spamming overhands like Faber. Hell he might go for TD's just to prove a point to Frankie. I sure wish Edgar would work more on his subs from his back.

Back