Brazil doesn't rule the UFC any more

Russia is ahead of Brazil now.

Just look at all the Russian talent coming to UFC and how many good level promotions in Russia now.

The rest of the world evolved, and well, at the moment...USADA.

03b5ea4d-ec7b-4e1e-977c-57e265693b28_text.gif
Russia rules it now, but Paulo Costa is carrying the whole country on his big muscular shoulders.

Hell no... It's gained some popularity, but it's no where near the big four which is...

Football
Baseball
Basketball
Hockey

I would say it would be fair to place it in the top 10. By popularity I would say sports as of right now in the US would go...

Football
Basketball
Baseball
Hockey
Nascar
Golf
Soccer
Tennis
Boxing
MMA

Supercross, Motocross, pro bull riding, billiards/pool, monster trucks, e-gaming, pro wrestling, and probably even darts and bowling are bigger in all likelyhood.

Paulo Costa will be the next Brazilian champ in 2019.

After that no one for a while.
I was a believer until he got his face jabbed all might by Uriah, he definitely has some boxing weaknesses that will be exposed by someone who isn’t intimidated by him

Lol at Americans and Nascar. F1 is so superior

F-1 is the better brand of racing for sure, but they're both kind of boring to watch on television. Imo Off Road racing and motocross own them both.

TORC17-Bark-River-MIR_6118.jpg

z0eecnawguas7ln51ofn.jpg

Wish kickboxing was bigger. Just will take 1 maor rich orgsnization. Maybe glory one day.

I also wish kickboxing would catch on here in the states. There was a surge of long pants kickboxing in the 70's and 80's, but the K-1 rules style is far superior.

Last edited:
Supercross, Motocross, pro bull riding, billiards/pool, monster trucks, e-gaming, pro wrestling, and probably even darts and bowling are bigger in all likelyhood.

Pro Wrestling is bigger, but I wouldn't really count that as a sport. Even though it is basically MMA's big brother. MMA also has it's up's and downs and has drawn 1 million plus PPV's and has drawn as much as 8.8 million viewers on Fox. All of the sports you mentioned besides pro wrestling would never come close to touching that.

As far as public interest, MMA in Brazil was a fad, no sports show gives a damn about it anymore.

Dana White Contender Series was transformed into a 5 minutes program on sunday morning, they almost don't show the fights, just some highlights and the rest is Dana, Minotauro and the presenter talking.

And like many other sports, if a brazilian is elite it's almost a miracle. There's no incentive from anyone or any kind. Even football is feeling it now, we won't win anything anymore if we continue to do what we did ten years ago.

Last edited:
And why do you believe that they have declined?
There's only 3 Brazilians under the age of 26, out of a possible 600+, on the entire UFC roster.
The UFC doesn't scout in Brazil anymore. There's no money in it. They want new markets in Europe, so they've been scouting those fighters for the past few years.

Brazil can't even win the WC in soccer/football any more. Neither are they in contention. I guess it's a general decline.

Not true. Brazil was one of the favorites, if not THE favorite to win the WC when It started. Losing to Belgium was a misstep in a match that Brazil would win 8/10 times

Pro Wrestling is bigger, but I wouldn't really count that as a sport. Even though it is basically MMA's big brother. MMA also has it's up's and downs and has drawn 1 million plus PPV's and has drawn as much as 8.8 million viewers on Fox. All of the sports you mentioned besides pro wrestling would never come close to touching that.

Sure but they mostly live on free or paid tv, not ppv, they bury the ufc there, and do so in terms of live gates and merchandising etc..

Back