Boxingscene Transplant - My Honest Analysis of Your Sport

:icon_neut

The fascination with street fighting amongst the MMA community illustrates how immature and insecure it really is. Boxing fans understand that boxing is a sport and that any rules imposed can dictate the pace, tactics, strategies, and techniques used, but MMA fans have yet to come to the same realization about their own sport. MMA's ruleset may be more inclusive but isn't much more "real" than boxing is. At the end of the day, people will watch what they want to watch, but MMA fans need to mature out of this "real fighting" bullshit and enjoy the sport for what it is.

well said. can't stand insecure MMA fanboys.

:icon_neut

The fascination with street fighting amongst the MMA community illustrates how immature and insecure it really is. Boxing fans understand that boxing is a sport and that any rules imposed can dictate the pace, tactics, strategies, and techniques used, but MMA fans have yet to come to the same realization about their own sport. MMA's ruleset may be more inclusive but isn't much more "real" than boxing is. At the end of the day, people will watch what they want to watch, but MMA fans need to mature out of this "real fighting" bullshit and enjoy the sport for what it is.

Of course it is much more "real" then boxing

having "real" NHB isn't feasible today for several different reasons but we do have rules in place that symbolize it, alot of the same rules are bitched about because people don't find it entertaining but I don't give a crap.

The allure of MMA is WHO BEATS WHO, with as few rules as possible. I don't care if it is by a simple takedown, sidecontrol to kimura or a flying gogoplata. The win is the most important factor and is the prime entertainment.

I don't find "wins" entertaining when rules makes it less real, like my favourite petpeeve in MMA the stand-ups, I have to struggle to get you down, you should struggle to get up, simple as that

Even a Lnp or cage and pray approach is alright by me because in a no rules settings the guy defending would in most cases ultimately lose

I'd watch a shitty MMA card before I'd watch any Boxing card.

There is only 1 boxing fight I'm even interested in watching and one of the fighters is too big of a pussy.

There two completely different sports.

Of course it is much more "real" then boxing

having "real" NHB isn't feasible today for several different reasons but we do have rules in place that symbolize it, alot of the same rules are bitched about because people don't find it entertaining but I don't give a crap.

The allure of MMA is WHO BEATS WHO, with as few rules as possible. I don't care if it is by a simple takedown, sidecontrol to kimura or a flying gogoplata. The win is the most important factor and is the prime entertainment.

I don't find "wins" entertaining when rules makes it less real, like my favourite petpeeve in MMA the stand-ups, I have to struggle to get you down, you should struggle to get up, simple as that

Even a Lnp or cage and pray approach is alright by me because in a no rules settings the guy defending would in most cases ultimately lose

When have sports ever strived for realism, what civilian road resembles a prepared and well maintained racetrack? Sports gauge and highlight specific attributes and skills, and rules certain are often implemented to do just that. Just as an F-1, WRC, or Nascar race doesn't represent what people do in real life, MMA doesn't accurately represent what happens in a real fight either because when fights get real, there are a bunch of popular techniques and strategies from MMA that don't translate well to real life scenarios either.

i love them both , they do sometimes kind of ruin eachother for me though. Like when I watch a boxing match and there's a shitload of clinching i'll think to myself "shit if this were MMA this guy would be on the floor right now"

But then when I watch an MMA fight like Lesnar vs Carwin and see Brock turn his back and run like a little girl from a guy with a basic boxing skillset I say to myself "Omg these guys are fucking amatuers!"

I'm a boxing fan, and a crazy one. I thought I'd poke in and thrown down an honest opinion on the whole boxing v. MMA debate, and give you a perspective that does not come from the "lol tight shorts...gay..." school of thought.

I actually do really, REALLY like mixed martial arts. When I watch the ability to control that a skilled grappler has, the placement and setups and combinations of someone who really knows how and when to throw kicks - it's all great in my eyes. Even when the guys are up against the cage pummeling for underhooks or fighting for position on the ground - It's still obvious that there's an enormous amount of tactic and skill being displayed.

That being said, I'll watch even just a "decent' boxing card before a great MMA card if they are conflicting in time. In the end of the day, boxing for me, is just a more pleasing sport. A lot of MMA fans like to talk about how MMA is a more "complete" sport because it's not restricted to the hands, and that's fucking retarded. You wouldn't tell a tennis player that Basketball is a more complete sport because you can throw the ball too...apples and oranges. One is not superior to another simply because of a difference in rules. Of course the comparison is inevitable because they are both combat sports with the objective being out fighting the opponent, but in my opinion I think a lot of the beauty and skill in boxing is BECAUSE of the restriction, because a fighter only has his two hands and his legs to move and fight, I think there's a level of mastery and grace in that itself. It's simply more pleasing to me.

You're going to get a lot of animosity from boxing fans because MMA, the UFC especially is doing very well. A lot of them feel threatened. In my opinion, they shouldn't. As I said before, we're talking about COMPLETELY different sports. The UFC does some great things, there are some obvious problems with having a dominant promotion under which the majority of the popular fights take place, but there are some great benefits to that as well. Were this the case in boxing, we'd have seen Mayweather v. Pacquiao long ago. What you don't get in the UFC is the sense of gravity in a huge fight. Of course, the Rampage v. Rashads and the Brock vs. Carwin and Silva v. Sonnen fights of late generate a good deal of hype and are definitely exciting to see play out - but in boxing BECAUSE of the difficulties of promotion and BECAUSE of the scarcity of mega fights if and when Mayweather and Pacquiao finally do meet - the event TRANSCENDS to fight community and becomes an EVENT for everyone. There's an enormity and gravity to the whole thing that doesn't exist yet in MMA.

Maybe it's historical context. We've been watching boxers duke it out here in America since before we were watching baseball. It's in the grain of our culture, and that of most other places in the world - maybe MMA will get there one day, but for now, it just doesn't compete in that way.

I agree with everything you said but the highlighted portion. To "hardcore" fans, fights like Mardquart vs Palhares are big and exciting. Just because a champ isn't in a fight doesn't mean there isn't importance and excitement surrounding fights like Sotiropoulus vs Lauzon, Shields vs Kampmann, or Condit vs Hardy etc.

On the otherside of the coin, to me other than the big names in boxing, I feel the same as you do toward MMA. Those fights lack any sense of impact on the sport. Just my opinion.

a lot of terrible trolling in this thread, mostly on the mma side

a lot of things could be vice versa when all said and done

all I know is I enjoy both sports, but over hype marketing of mma is getting lame and old, and so is TUF

When have sports ever strived for realism, what civilian road resembles a prepared and well maintained racetrack? Sports gauge and highlight specific attributes and skills, and rules certain are often implemented to do just that. Just as an F-1, WRC, or Nascar race doesn't represent what people do in real life, MMA doesn't accurately represent what happens in a real fight either because when fights get real, there are a bunch of popular techniques and strategies from MMA that don't translate well to real life scenarios either.

NHB is realism, MMA is the realistic version of the truth

LoL, thaiboxing and grappling have many of the most high % techniques both in MMA or in da streetz. And I put my money on the guy who has honed his skill in the gym/dojo/room whatthefuck, to succesfully apply both his "sport" techniques or the dirty techniques if he so chuses.

it is such childish and naive argument to believe make about TMA and dirty techniques.

I do not think this will happen with MMA, solely because of Dana White. He's made it very clear that he wants the UFC to grow on an international scale. His plans for things like UFC 'CHINA', or TUF 'JAPAN' are direct proof of that. One day the UFC will dominate the world of MMA (on a larger scale) to the point that any other organization will be truly considered 'the minor leagues'. He wants the UFC to be the NHL, NBA, MLB of MMA, which would greatly decrease the chances that another org. would grow enough to combat it. The only chance for another MMA org. to emerge as an equal to the UFC is if an organization started growing at a very rapid rate RIGHT NOW. If it doesn't happen very soon, I don't believe it will happen.

As far as TS goes. Thank you very much for bringing your opinions to this forum. You have made some great points (many of which I agree with, to an extent) and presented yourself very well. I honestly don't have much more to say that the other posters haven't, but I just wanted to say I thoroughly enjoyed this thread.

This is so ignorant I don't know where to start! The UFC will never be as big as the NHL, NBA, MLB or ever the English Premier League football league or any major sports federation! Also money talks, if a billionaire SaudI Sheik wanted a part of MMA there is nothing Zuffa or the 'messiah' Dana 'F***ing' White could do about it! Dana is good for the UFC in its current state, but for a corporation to grow and have respect worldwide a foul mouthed figurehead isn't the way forward! MMA is in its infancy and where there is money to be made there will be sharks circling!

And for all the guys in this thread saying "oh paquiaco and mayweather is all boxing has, there are no exciting new up and coming fighters in boxing" GTFO. You don't know who the exciting new boxers are BECAUSE YOU DON'T WATCH THE SPORT. It's like a guy who doesn't watch MMA saying that the sport is dying because Chuck Liddel and Randy Couture are almost finished, it's a stupid argument.

And for all the guys in this thread saying "oh paquiaco and mayweather is all boxing has, there are no exciting new up and coming fighters in boxing" GTFO. You don't know who the exciting new boxers are BECAUSE YOU DON'T WATCH THE SPORT. It's like a guy who doesn't watch MMA saying that the sport is dying because Chuck Liddel and Randy Couture are almost finished, it's a stupid argument.

exactly, this guy gets it, in fact November and December is gonna be huge for boxing, domestically and internationally

True, the guys who say the above are usually the guys who say the UFC is putting on great cards every month, yet proceed to come on Sherdog and bitch about the cards! Look I love both sports, I can see why Boxing fans dislike MMA and Visa Versa but jeez they're both combat sports, whoever gets in the ring or in the Octagon deserves a lot of respect and I'm sure boxers & mixed martial artists respect each other, why can't the fans???

ehhhhh I beg to differ

LOL at people thinking "less rules = better at streetfighting" shows theyve never been in a streetfight.

With the pacing, situation and intensity, the rules you train in isnt really relevant, as long as its full contact. A kickboxer, boxer, muay thai fighter, MMA fighter, Sambo fighter, all have an equal chance simply because its in full contact

Don't wanna be rude but I think boxing cures insomnia. Sorry, it's just boring to me.
Although I do admit it also puts more toll on the fighters as most of the hits land on the head so it's a lot mor dangerous and devastating that MMA but I just find it boring, especially nowadays. I watched the last few Klitcho fights and it was just too boring. MMA's where it's at IMO.

MMA isn't that exciting bro, stop watching highlight videos so much. Now that guys have some skills its not as loose as it used to be.

That and its much more aesthetically pleasing to watch 2 guys go at it in a way that they know how, than 2 guys clumsily flail on each other, then go for retardedly sloppy takedowns and trade stupid reversals cuz no one can hold position.

LOL at people thinking "less rules = better at streetfighting" shows theyve never been in a streetfight.

With the pacing, situation and intensity, the rules you train in isnt really relevant, as long as its full contact. A kickboxer, boxer, muay thai fighter, MMA fighter, Sambo fighter, all have an equal chance simply because its in full contact

not so much "less rules = better" but personally I think more general knowledge = better

not so much "less rules = better" but personally I think more general knowledge = better

I kinda agree, but more from an outside perspective. From my experience from training with boxers, muaythai fighters, and mma fighters, the first thing they will always do is throw the right hand, out of instinct.

No setting attacks up, etc (which you spend the majority of your time doing during sparring or fighting)

You're completly right. Boxing and MMA are totally different and basically incomparable, really. You can't really grapple in boxing, just like you can't stand sideways or use your gloves to block in MMA.

This belongs in the Boxing discussion, though.

Back