Boxingscene Transplant - My Honest Analysis of Your Sport

Felixion

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I'm a boxing fan, and a crazy one. I thought I'd poke in and thrown down an honest opinion on the whole boxing v. MMA debate, and give you a perspective that does not come from the "lol tight shorts...gay..." school of thought.

I actually do really, REALLY like mixed martial arts. When I watch the ability to control that a skilled grappler has, the placement and setups and combinations of someone who really knows how and when to throw kicks - it's all great in my eyes. Even when the guys are up against the cage pummeling for underhooks or fighting for position on the ground - It's still obvious that there's an enormous amount of tactic and skill being displayed.

That being said, I'll watch even just a "decent' boxing card before a great MMA card if they are conflicting in time. In the end of the day, boxing for me, is just a more pleasing sport. A lot of MMA fans like to talk about how MMA is a more "complete" sport because it's not restricted to the hands, and that's fucking retarded. You wouldn't tell a tennis player that Basketball is a more complete sport because you can throw the ball too...apples and oranges. One is not superior to another simply because of a difference in rules. Of course the comparison is inevitable because they are both combat sports with the objective being out fighting the opponent, but in my opinion I think a lot of the beauty and skill in boxing is BECAUSE of the restriction, because a fighter only has his two hands and his legs to move and fight, I think there's a level of mastery and grace in that itself. It's simply more pleasing to me.

You're going to get a lot of animosity from boxing fans because MMA, the UFC especially is doing very well. A lot of them feel threatened. In my opinion, they shouldn't. As I said before, we're talking about COMPLETELY different sports. The UFC does some great things, there are some obvious problems with having a dominant promotion under which the majority of the popular fights take place, but there are some great benefits to that as well. Were this the case in boxing, we'd have seen Mayweather v. Pacquiao long ago. What you don't get in the UFC is the sense of gravity in a huge fight. Of course, the Rampage v. Rashads and the Brock vs. Carwin and Silva v. Sonnen fights of late generate a good deal of hype and are definitely exciting to see play out - but in boxing BECAUSE of the difficulties of promotion and BECAUSE of the scarcity of mega fights if and when Mayweather and Pacquiao finally do meet - the event TRANSCENDS to fight community and becomes an EVENT for everyone. There's an enormity and gravity to the whole thing that doesn't exist yet in MMA.

Maybe it's historical context. We've been watching boxers duke it out here in America since before we were watching baseball. It's in the grain of our culture, and that of most other places in the world - maybe MMA will get there one day, but for now, it just doesn't compete in that way.

I agree with most everything you said. I'm a huge fan of MMA, casual fan of boxing, and I'll watch a mediocre mma event over a great boxing event anyday...but like you said, it's apples and oranges. People have different preferences and likes, and that is fine. I respect boxing and always will, but MMA is where my heart lies.

and props to you for throwing yourself into the fire of this mma board...

Good first post. I'm curious how long this will take before it devolves into a shit storm, however.

Don't wanna be rude but I think boxing cures insomnia. Sorry, it's just boring to me.
Although I do admit it also puts more toll on the fighters as most of the hits land on the head so it's a lot mor dangerous and devastating that MMA but I just find it boring, especially nowadays. I watched the last few Klitcho fights and it was just too boring. MMA's where it's at IMO.

OP has some real good points, and I agree with many. The only thing I bring into question is the opinion that it is better to have to wait forever for a fight because of contractual disputes (lol) because when the fight finally happens it will be a big event. That part can stay in boxing (for the most part... we do have M1 in MMA). Obviously if Pac/Mayweather were both in one org, we would've seen that fight already. Would you rather see the fight when both fighters are in the best possible shape, or would you rather see the fight when one or both of the fighters are way out of their primes and just taking the fight for money or some other reason?

Evolution.

this.

boxing alone, like wrestling alone, like judo alone, like jiu jitsu alone is a handicapped fighting form.

when integrated into a mixed martial arts platform, certain aspects of certain arts negate or diminsh parts of the other (i.e. the threat of wrestiling takedowns negate and or diminsh the boxers ability stand and throw dynamic and or completely fluid strikes)

and thus, mixed martial arts is the ultimate evolution of combat sports and the purest/truest form of fighting.

while the other arts are great to learn and good to watch, to say that they are inferior to mixed martial arts as a whole is intellectually and emotionally dishonest...

(see couture vs toney)

OP has some real good points, and I agree with many. The only thing I bring into question is the opinion that it is better to have to wait forever for a fight because of contractual disputes (lol) because when the fight finally happens it will be a big event. That part can stay in boxing (for the most part... we do have M1 in MMA). Obviously if Pac/Mayweather were both in one org, we would've seen that fight already. Would you rather see the fight when both fighters are in the best possible shape, or would you rather see the fight when one or both of the fighters are way out of their primes and just taking the fight for money or some other reason?

true but at the same time if pac and mayweather were in different orgs we would never ever see them fight so it's not like mma is any better
I feel our sport will move towards the boxing model where fighters have much more power but hopefully not too far........a sorta happy middle ground between the two models would be ideal!

Most guys from both boxing and MMA like to debate who would win in a right.

The thing is, a boxer would win a boxing match and an MMA fighter would win an MMA fight. Like the OP stated, they're different sports, and it would be like the Lakers trying to run a blitz on the Cowboys.

The arguing and bickering is stupid. Boxers like to say they have better hands. Of course you have better hands, that's all you do. While you can punch, an average Mixed Martial Artists can kick, knee, elbow, and use ground work better than boxers can. Why? They're two different sports.

Boxing is to god damn hard to follow in my opinion. We live in a time where people want to talk to their cars instead of pressing a button, where people will eat shit in a bag from Burger King instead of cooking something good. People are to lazy to do intense research just to know whats going on in a sport.

Add in the facts that boxing doesn't have the stars it once had, the fact that its so limited (one form of fighting), then the fact that there's a million different belts, nobody (casuals) even knows who the fucking champs are.

Boxing's history > MMA history
MMA's future > Boxing's future

MMA and boxing are both sports, the criteria by which one you find more enjoyable to watch shouldn't be 'which is better in a real fight". If that really is your judging standard, war is the best combat form to watch, and a nuclear missile is marital evolution at it's finest. MMA fighters are wanna be special forces operatives.

It come down to personal preference and taste. I certainly dont have to justify preferring basketball over baseball becasue i think Micheal Jordan would kick Babe Ruth's ass.

Great thread, however I'll still watch a mediocre UFC card to a good boxing card anyday. There are so many ways to end a fight in MMA and that is the main reason why it is overtaking boxing. But a fight is still a fight , be it with MMA or boxing gloves.

Most guys from both boxing and MMA like to debate who would win in a right.

The thing is, a boxer would win a boxing match and an MMA fighter would win an MMA fight. Like the OP stated, they're different sports, and it would be like the Lakers trying to run a blitz on the Cowboys.

The arguing and bickering is stupid. Boxers like to say they have better hands. Of course you have better hands, that's all you do. While you can punch, an average Mixed Martial Artists can kick, knee, elbow, and use ground work better than boxers can. Why? They're two different sports.

Screw you the Lakers would block/intercept every pass. Anyone but football nuthuggers knows this.

Also I think some people are confusing TS' case for boxing with the arguement of who would win in a fight. MMA fighters very well may win 9 out of 10 no rules fights with a boxer, but that isnt what we are talking about. He mentioned that Boxing's limitations are part of its beauty. Boxing the sport vs MMA the sport. Not who would win in an alley with hammers and swiss army knives.

Right now, Manny Pacquiao is THE only fighter who's saving boxing from mediocrity.

It's honestly a matter of taste, yes of course if you focus on one thing (hands) you will be better at that than someone who only occasionally visits the hands. MMA training is more complex thus to excel in one aspect is somewhat difficult. I enjoy Muay Thai and Boxing bouts as well. I feel all these combat sports are very different, however, the problem stems from Boxers claiming they are the best fighters. That's the only time there's ever a debate and conflict.

The reason why people argue is to boost their self worth. Conflict and argumentation creates meaning. It's a we are holier than thou attitude, which is the case in this debate. It's the reason why there's brand loyalty even within MMA, it makes people feel better that they are on the "right" side of things. It's all subjective and there's no absolutism in terms of what's better or worst. This is just a matter of taste, there's no deeper meaning, right or wrong.

Overall both boxing and MMA could co-exist. They are similar enough for crossover appeal and different enough to be enjoyed without conflict. There needs to be a little open mindedness and less preconceived ideas. If you go into an MMA fight with your mind made up that it's "two guys in shorts hugging" you will not enjoy it. Same for boxing, if you buy into what Dana propagates, boxing being boring, etc you will not enjoy it. It's difficult to be open minded as we feel there's a competition thus we take the side of "our" sport. We take what boxers and Dana White say rather than making up our minds objectively. I've seen boxers object to MMA and I can see how their fans would take what they say to heart. Same with Dana, he manipulates in the upper bound of about 80% of fans, so if he says boxing is boring, well it becomes boring to MMA fans.

Could we teach taste or genius by rules, they would be no longer taste and genius. - Joshua Reynolds

MMA and boxing are both sports, the criteria by which one you find more enjoyable to watch shouldn't be 'which is better in a real fight". If that really is your judging standard, war is the best combat form to watch, and a nuclear missile is marital evolution at it's finest. MMA fighters are wanna be special forces operatives.

It come down to personal preference and taste. I certainly dont have to justify preferring basketball over baseball becasue i think Micheal Jordan would kick Babe Ruth's ass.

your missing the point.

and your illustration is apples and oranges.

mma and boxing are sports. war is not.

war is war.

mma and boxing are fun to watch.

war is not.

in my and many others opinion mma is more fun to watch than boxing because its a fuller, truer and more complete representation of COMBAT SPORTS.

(Boxing, wrestling and jiujitsu all put together in a synthesis that allows for many more outcomes and much more athletic beauty than boxing alone or judo alone)

hence all the others of themselves have limitations and subtle Combat SPORT nonrealties.

(i.e. in sport gi jiu jitsu there many moves that are completely unrealistic for no gi sport jiujitsu)

your assertion that the logical thought progression of people who prefer MMA to boxing because they think its more realistic should watch or enjoy war is assinine.

Sensible enough post. I wouldn't disagree with much, but I'd rather watch a great MMA card over a decent boxing card pretty much any day, and I prefer the UFC's monopoly on the sport in contrast to boxing's ubiquitous federations and meaningless belts for what I could probably call obvious reasons.

To each his own, though; and in no way am I saying I don't watch boxing. I've just become a bigger fan of MMA in the last several years.

Boxing is so hard to follow these days. I mean, who are the main champions? I could list a few, but with so many different federations and belts that overlap and don't overlap, it's hard to tell.

Back