Boxingscene Transplant - My Honest Analysis of Your Sport

Boxing is so hard to follow these days. I mean, who are the main champions? I could list a few, but with so many different federations and belts that overlap and don't overlap, it's hard to tell.

Do you not think this will happen with MMA one day though? At the moment the UFC is the monopoly on MMA really, but whos to say in 20 or 30 years when there are more Mixed Martial Artists there will be an increase ten fold in Organisations? MMA could also reach a point where there are 4 champions in one weight class and we never see them fight because they fight for different organisations. Trust me in a competitive market MMA won't be able to keep itself politics free, hell we are seeing it now with Strikforce having Reem & Fedor, who really knows who the best HW in the world is, get what I'm saying?

Do you not think this will happen with MMA one day though? At the moment the UFC is the monopoly on MMA really, but whos to say in 20 or 30 years when there are more Mixed Martial Artists there will be an increase ten fold in Organisations? MMA could also reach a point where there are 4 champions in one weight class and we never see them fight because they fight for different organisations. Trust me in a competitive market MMA won't be able to keep itself politics free, hell we are seeing it now with Strikforce having Reem & Fedor, who really knows who the best HW in the world is, get what I'm saying?

That's actually quite a depressing thought.

You just ruined my morning :(

Dude comes is talking some shit about the Klitchkos being boring, jab and clinch fighters, then tries to "make me aware" of St. Pierre's brilliant technical wizardry on the mats. Sounds a bit hypocritical to me, because if he actually watched and understood boxing, he'd realize that the Klitchkos put on very dominating and technically brilliant performances as well.

I know it isn't the best idea to counter ignorance with more ignorance, but this is a forum, i find it funny, and don't really give a shit.

I said the Klitschkos were good fighters, but they are in my opinion boring. That last fight for instance against Peters was abysmal. Yes, they're good, technical, astute boxers and they dominate, but against what? Cans. Because with Hayes reluctance to fight them, that's all that's left. There is no depth in the Heavyweight division.

Again, I'm not bashing boxing, I love the sport. It's just in a slump at the moment. And I'm not discounting the Klitschkos because they fight in Europe, that would be stupid. My favourite time in boxing was the rivalry between Benn, Eubank and Collins.

That's actually quite a depressing thought.

You just ruined my morning :(

It's sad mate but it's true, MMA is growing at a good rate, the Fertittas aren't the only guys in the world with money who are prepared to bank roll an organisation! All these murcy Don King, Frank Warren characters of the future will find their way into MMA at some stage.

Yes, but both are closing in the end of their career. Name ONE HW guy that has that name recognition? That's the biggest problem with boxing: they don't see the future, they promote the same names over and over again until they're 40 years old. Then, nobody's there to replace them when they hang them up. I tell you, the day Maywether, Manny and the Klitchko retire will be the sunset of boxing. Who will replace those guys?

Another way you can look at it is that boxing doesn't unnecessarily hype the shit out of its fighters the way MMA (particularly Zuffa) does. That why when a boxer finally makes his way into the limelight, there's a much higher chance that he's earned it and actually belongs there. Bandwagon jumping isn't nearly as prominent amongst boxing fans as it is in MMA fans primarily for that reason.

I agree with 95% of what TS said. These are two different sports. Lots of people like hockey and baseball, or football and baseball etc etc. Anyone that's like "boxing suck lulz" is just not a fan of combat sports and shouldn't be watching MMA to begin with.

I hate the apples and oranges argument....and not just from TS, it seems to be generally accepted.

Boxing and MMA are not apples and oranges. They are both expressions of fighting with the same goal in mind, incapacitate your opponent. The only difference is that boxing imposes a LOT of rules where MMA only imposes some.

The less rules you impose the more it looks like real combat. So they totally comparable. We just have to be tolerant of personal preference because they can all be great.

Real/Underground NHB > Vale Tudo > MMA > Muay Thai > Kickboxing > TMA's > Boxing > Olympic boxing

Not reading all that but will instead simply get to the points:

Toney got raped like a bitch
MMA #1
Fuck off/kill yourself

Boxing was broken and scattered to the wind many years ago. Can't say I give much of a shit what boxing fans think of MMA, but the boxers need to teach these MMA guys how to punch.

I always find it interesting to listen/read debates on Boxing and MMA. Not saying that was the TS's intention but on forums it always tends to go that way. It's strange for me because I can't really put a finger on why I enjoy boxing less less. Boxing was my first love as far as combat sports go. MMA/UFC was cool and kind of exciting when it first came to the airwaves but Boxing, for me, was a can't miss event. The problems in boxing have been present for quite some time know and that never really bothered me because of you really watched the sport you knew who the champ was regardless of belts.

It wasn't until the early 2000's that I flip flopped. Perhaps it was because of training or perhaps it was because the stars I idolized growing up were starting to fade. I really can't explain it but MMA just became much more exciting to watch. To me both are beautiful sports and boxing will never go away but I truly believe that MMA is the top combat sport and will continue to be in the future.

I think one of boxing's flaws is it's hard to keep track of fighter progression. With the pro wrestling based promoter system MMA has it's easy to keep up with all different fighters from new guys to title contenders. On an MMA card you get to see various experience levels and it's packaged to the consumer in a way that it's normal to want to see new guys fight as well as the big name title matches, all on one card. So it's easy to understand where someone is in relation to others all in that one org.

I do see what you did there, yes. I would agree with you about Fedor to an extent, but he's earned that right as the GOAT, that's like criticizing Ali for fighting Coopman.

As for GSP being a boring fighter? I would strongly disagree there, if you had said Fitch, maybe, but GSP uses wrestling aggressively and has only had 7 decisions in 23 pro fights. If you can't see that, and think he's just lay and pray I won't bother arguing any further.

This is hilarious. Right over your head. The gheyberry delivers again. So sure of yourself too. Then you go on to type completely irrelevant drivel for 6 more lines.

I do not think this will happen with MMA, solely because of Dana White. He's made it very clear that he wants the UFC to grow on an international scale. His plans for things like UFC 'CHINA', or TUF 'JAPAN' are direct proof of that. One day the UFC will dominate the world of MMA (on a larger scale) to the point that any other organization will be truly considered 'the minor leagues'. He wants the UFC to be the NHL, NBA, MLB of MMA, which would greatly decrease the chances that another org. would grow enough to combat it. The only chance for another MMA org. to emerge as an equal to the UFC is if an organization started growing at a very rapid rate RIGHT NOW. If it doesn't happen very soon, I don't believe it will happen.

As far as TS goes. Thank you very much for bringing your opinions to this forum. You have made some great points (many of which I agree with, to an extent) and presented yourself very well. I honestly don't have much more to say that the other posters haven't, but I just wanted to say I thoroughly enjoyed this thread.

. A lot of MMA fans like to talk about how MMA is a more "complete" sport because it's not restricted to the hands, and that's fucking retarded. You wouldn't tell a tennis player that Basketball is a more complete sport because you can throw the ball too...apples and oranges. One is not superior to another simply because of a difference in rules. Of course the comparison is inevitable because they are both combat sports with the objective being out fighting the opponent, but in my opinion I think a lot of the beauty and skill in boxing is BECAUSE of the restriction, because a fighter only has his two hands and his legs to move and fight, I think there's a level of mastery and grace in that itself. It's simply more pleasing to me.

I would use NASCAR (or any type of American oval type racing) vs F1

MMA being F1 naturally

it is not apples and oranges, it is more like shitty apples vs Granny Smith

Boxing is not the premier fighting sport on the earth, Brock Lesnar is the baddest man on the planet, not any of the number of boxing world champs.

it was true at one point but not anymore

Heck I am a grappler myself with only very limited MMA/boxing experience, I don't watch much grappling (be it judo, freestyle, SW, BJJ, ADCC) at all. it is fun to do but boring to watch (outside of highlights) beceaus it is too limited

MMA being F1 naturally

Boxing is not the premier fighting sport on the earth, Brock Lesnar is the baddest man on the planet, not any of the number of boxing world champs.

Heck I am a grappler myself with only very limited MMA/boxing experience, I don't watch much grappling (be it judo, freestyle, SW, BJJ, ADCC) at all. it is fun to do but boring to watch (outside of highlights) beceaus it is too limited

nascar is freakin huge in america. i dont get it, but its huge here

nascar is freakin huge in america. i dont get it, but its huge here

And they are probably really really good at driving around in circles, but don't tell me it is real racing.

As a sport you can't say that MMA or Boxing are better or worse than the other, that's entirely subjective. As a representation of a real world 1 on 1 no weapons fight it's pretty obvious MMA is much more accurate/applicable.

MMA being F1 naturally

:icon_neut

The fascination with street fighting amongst the MMA community illustrates how immature and insecure it really is. Boxing fans understand that boxing is a sport and that any rules imposed can dictate the pace, tactics, strategies, and techniques used, but MMA fans have yet to come to the same realization about their own sport. MMA's ruleset may be more inclusive but isn't much more "real" than boxing is. At the end of the day, people will watch what they want to watch, but MMA fans need to mature out of this "real fighting" bullshit and enjoy the sport for what it is.

Back