Boxing: Infighting

Everyone tells me to jab my way in though, perhaps im just stuborn

a slick counter puncher will take away the stubborness. And you will run into this guy down the road somewhere.

Yea, take one giant leap, leaning to either side, which is the slipping part.

Personally, Ive never seen the light with the whole double jabbing and triple jabbing my way to the inside, if anything Ive always thought that after the first time you do it, you are letting your opponent know you are about to try to come on the inside.

I prefer to let them throw first, then take that leap to the inside.
If you dont have the speed to pull it off you will be killed by any good counter puncher.

a wiser way to get inside is to slip your opponents punches and use your footwork to cut the distance.

You guys are bringing up excellent points. Thanks a great deal. I've been away for a few day so I'm just now getting back to this thread.

King Kabuki, what advice would you have for someone who wishes to become more adept at slipping? I know the basics and I'm quite good at it but I cannot help but feel that there are important factors that I am not aware of.

King Kabuki, what advice would you have for someone who wishes to become more adept at slipping? I know the basics and I'm quite good at it but I cannot help but feel that there are important factors that I am not aware of.

What factors would those be?

What factors would those be?

I can illustrate them by recalling a recent sparring session. I was sparring a taller guy and I felt fine at first. He would just throw single jabs and I'd slip to the outside and then under his right cross and counter. However, when he'd double jab it messed up my entire gameplan, because when I'd slip he'd catch me with his second jab.

So should I slip inside his second jab and risk catching a cross to the face, or just catch the jab? I'm not fast enough yet to slip both though on occasion I can.

Also, when slipping, say a jab from an orthodox fighter, is it best to lean forward a bit?

I can illustrate them by recalling a recent sparring session. I was sparring a taller guy and I felt fine at first. He would just throw single jabs and I'd slip to the outside and then under his right cross and counter. However, when he'd double jab it messed up my entire gameplan, because when I'd slip he'd catch me with his second jab.

So should I slip inside his second jab and risk catching a cross to the face, or just catch the jab? I'm not fast enough yet to slip both though on occasion I can.

Also, when slipping, say a jab from an orthodox fighter, is it best to lean forward a bit?

Good example of why double jabs are great. I don't think its an issue with you not slipping right, but more of a testament to the double jab. I've found that if the guy throws double jabs, I should answer back with triple jabs. It works to shut down his jab.

Slipping to the inside doesn't automatically mean you'll get hit. People slip to the inside all the time. Use your hands to block as well as move your head.

My trainer taught me the correct way to slip is to slightly move your head foward so you're in position to throw a counter.

Reink has good advice. I mean the over/under rope used properly should be teaching you how to slip, as well as good mitt-work. But it doesn't sound like slipping is your problem.

You can jab over the second jab, or out-number the jab the way Reink states. You can also throw your rear-hand over the first jab as a counter. When I slip inside, my best punch tends to be the rear-uppercut to the body. Body-shots when you slip inside can land before a jab does if you drop elevation. If not, try throwing uppercuts when you slip either direction as well, it's intimidating to jab when you might get clocked underneath the chin.

Then there's also rolling under the second jab, or blocking it as opposed to slipping.

Just sounds like you need to utilize more options.

Is parrying or deflecting shots taught much anymore? We used to just "flick"the jab up and away and come in underneath it.

Depends on who the trainer is. Both guys I've trained under, Richie Sandoval and Mike McCallum, are fans of catching punches, specifically parrying the jab with the rear-hand. But since I have hand-speed they both also liked it if I parried the jab with my lead-hand then came back over-the-top with my own jab. But yeah, a deflect and a slip:

Sparrin3.jpg

Sparrin2.jpg

Depends on who the trainer is. Both guys I've trained under, Richie Sandoval and Mike McCallum, are fans of catching punches, specifically parrying the jab with the rear-hand. But since I have hand-speed they both also liked it if I parried the jab with my lead-hand then came back over-the-top with my own jab. But yeah, a deflect and a slip:

Sparrin3.jpg

Sparrin2.jpg

Any chance to bring up top rank eh
im surprised you didn't highlight Mike Mcallum to make sure everyone knows that he is your trainer.

Reink has good advice. I mean the over/under rope used properly should be teaching you how to slip, as well as good mitt-work. But it doesn't sound like slipping is your problem.

You can jab over the second jab, or out-number the jab the way Reink states. You can also throw your rear-hand over the first jab as a counter. When I slip inside, my best punch tends to be the rear-uppercut to the body. Body-shots when you slip inside can land before a jab does if you drop elevation. If not, try throwing uppercuts when you slip either direction as well, it's intimidating to jab when you might get clocked underneath the chin.

Then there's also rolling under the second jab, or blocking it as opposed to slipping.

Just sounds like you need to utilize more options.

Thanks for the advice, thanks to Rink as well. I guess I believed I was slipping too slow since I was catching the double jab with my face.

I'm usually in range to throw an uppercut when I slip so I may try it.

Any chance to bring up top rank eh

Actually, I didn't bring up Top Rank at all, you did. I answered a direct question about if parrying is still taught, based on the ONLY two guys I've trained under. Didn't even mention other trainers I see on a regular basis, or what Gym. But thanks for the advertisement anyway ValeTudoShogun.

Thanks for the advice

No problem, unlike those who simply troll a thread, I like to contribute where I can.

I don't know, but it's quite flattering.

I even get random BS AIM messages from dudes who are in love with me pretending to be chicks and thinking I believe them.

The shit people will stoop to for attention.

If you dont have the speed to pull it off you will be killed by any good counter puncher.

a wiser way to get inside is to slip your opponents punches and use your footwork to cut the distance.

Thanks for contradicting me, and then paraphrasing everything I just said as a rebutle.

Haha and too everyone saying I will encounter people, who will make me change my ways..

Who said I havent? Ive def felt defeat quite a few times, and have felt many straight rights, and uppercuts.

Perhaps the problem is my double jab is weak, but It just doesnt feel natural.

Back